Bowling News USA - August 15, 2014 Diandra Asbaty: Passion is Powerful
When you find passion in something, you open yourself up to it. You allow this passion to teach you what you might have not already known. It leaves you vulnerable and sets you up to possibly fail. That’s why many never find their true passion. They are afraid of it. The highs. The lows. All the places that fall in the middle.
I’m not afraid of my passion. Despite feeling the highs and the lows, a true passion of mine is bowling for my country as a member of Team USA. Even though it’s left me vulnerable and completely open, I don’t run away from it, as easy as that would be. I run to it, and I try to conquer it.
Many people may think that since I’ve been on the team for 14 straight years, I’ve become complacent. Or it becomes just a normal part of my lifestyle that quickly loses all the luster, much like a new pair of shoes. If anyone does believe that, they should have been right there with me and Matt Lawson, who interviewed me after making Team USA for the 14th time. I surprised even myself with the emotion I felt while answering his questions. Check it out for yourself - click on picture to see video...
I’ve never thought of myself as a very emotional person (until I had Madden). I’m not sure what happens to a woman’s body when she has children, but it almost seems as though I feel so much more now. So as I stood there in front of Matt’s camera, answering his questions, I became choked up. I literally had to stop and breathe so I didn’t break down on camera, although I know that’s what he secretly hoped for. In fact, as I type these words, my eyes are teary and I’m looking around gate A9 at Midway Airport to see if anyone sees me. They don’t.
Why do I feel so much for this team? Besides all the wonderful history I have traveling to great places with such talented athletes, I think my 14-year stint on this team tells my story. I was a freshman in college when I made the team for the first time. It was 1998, and it was also the year I met my husband, John. I remember going to my first international tournament in 1999 in Abu Dhabi and coming home thinking, “wow, I have a lot to learn.”
I remember the very first medal I had ever seen won for Team USA. Kelly Kulick won the singles event in Abu Dhabi. I was inspired. I was honored to be coached under head coaches, Palmer Fallgren, Fred Borden, Jeri Edwards and now Rod Ross. It was my third year on the team when I remember jumping up and down (literally) after we won the World Tenpin Team Cup in Puerto Rico. My sister Kassy was on that team, and that remains one of the most special moments of my Team USA career.
My first World Cup was in 1999. I won the National Amateur Championships the second year I made the team. This is just one year after I was selected for the first time ever by Coach Palmer Fallgren. Also one year after he was questioned by many why he would choose someone that isn’t established yet.
Coach Borden coached me at that World Cup in Lisbon, Portugal. What a wonderful coach he was. In 2006, I bowled my second World Cup (under Edwards) in Caracas, Venezuela. We won. This past year, Coach Rod Ross coached me to a second-place finish in the #1 place I have ever wanted to travel to, South Africa.
I can go on and on about all the highlights and lowlights of my Team USA career, but I won’t. This is about Team USA Trials 2012. The emotion I had after bowling my way onto the team that I hold closest to me stemmed from something else. My son, Madden. I was inspired by Lynda Barnes and Carolyn Dorin-Ballard years ago. They proved to me that it is possible to be a great mom and to still be one of the best bowlers in the world. It’s then that I knew I didn’t have to give up my dreams. Instead of giving up my dreams, I brought Madden with me to help me continue living my dream. It’s not easy. Finding the balance of being the best mother I can and also staying on top of my game. Not. Easy. I still have had a lot of dilemmas to figure out, but the big spark that keeps me going and dreaming is him. He wouldn’t want me to stop reaching my dreams. Although he can’t talk yet, I do know that.
Many think that Madden is a distraction at tournaments, especially with so much on the line. He’s not. He’s my inspiration. I’m not doing this for myself anymore. I’m doing it for him and for my family. When I look at him at the end of the day, no matter if I’m in last place, or first, I know one thing for sure. He’s proud of his momma. Win or lose(more watery eyes). It really meant a lot to me at the Team Trials banquet when a friend of mine, Ty, told me he was really proud of me, and I was an inspiration to all the girls bowling. That I was showing them you can have an athletic career as well as a family. That comment really made me take a deep breath. It was exactly the inspiration I got from Carolyn and Lynda years ago.
Besides having Madden to manage in Las Vegas at the Team USA Trials, I also had to manage a stomach bug I so nicely received on the second-to-last day of competition. I woke up Thursday morning and thought it was something I ate. I realized after four hours it was much more serious than that. I struggled to get out of bed, to eat ANYTHING and figure out a way to have the energy to get through the seven-game block. When I woke up in the morning, I seriously didn’t know how I would. But, I did.
Thanks to the help of super babysitter, Jessica Baker, who went to get me medicine and Gatorade, I was able to make it through the block. Unfortunately, I had to battle the bug on Friday as well. Supposedly, it was going around Vegas and VERY unfortunately, I brought the bug home and gave it to Madden, my husband, John, Jessica, Jessica’s mom, the editor of this blog, and most recently, my dad. Stupid bug. Vicious. (I’m sorry everybody!)
Passion is powerful. It can open you up, close you up, or allow you to reach beyond what you ever thought was possible. I’m so grateful for my passions in life. They make me, me. Bowling, Team USA, my family and especially, Madden. Although there are dilemmas that come with having passion, whatever you do- do not run the other way. The only true way to find your potential is to run towards that passion, with all your walls down and a completely open heart.
What’s YOUR passion?
To see more from the International Art of Bowling go to: iabowling.com
- 8/31/2014: USBC Team USA NEWS: Fagan, Johnson lead Summer Team USA Trials after Round 2
- 8/31/2014: PBA NEWS: GEICO Returns as Partner of PBA World Series of Bowling VI
- 8/30/2014: PBA NEWS: 50th Anniversary TOC Highlights PBA's 2014-15 ESPN Schedule; First Show Airs December 14
- 8/28/2014: ATTENTION BOWLERS: Storm is having a 'Back-To-League' Labor Day Weekend Sale with FREE shipping!
- 8/28/2014: #TBT USBC Retro Roll: You won't believe how this one ends!
- 8/28/2014: Killeen Daily Herald: Duke honored for stellar PBA50 debut
- 8/28/2014: "Godzilla" the bowling cat!?!? Bowlers Journal International launches YouTube Channel...
- 8/27/2014: USBC NEWS: Summer Team USA Trials begin Friday at ITRC
- 8/27/2014: 11thframe.com Ball Review: P|tch Black - 'should be in every serious bowler’s arsenal'
- 8/27/2014: 2014 PABCON Women’s Championships Schedule and Team USA Roster
- 8/26/2014: The 11th Frame: King Pins Lanes hosting 2 PBA Regionals, Storm Doubles and 13th Annual Mary Teubner Memorial Pro-Am
- 8/26/2014: PBA South Region Points Leaders, Storm's Christina Hardee earns entry for GEICO PBA World Series of Bowling VI
- 8/26/2014: PBA NEWS: PBA moving administrative headquarters to Chicago
- 8/26/2014: WORLD BOWLING NEWS: World Bowling Tour finals to showcase world's best bowlers
- 8/26/2014: USBC NEWS: USBC Board, IBC Youth Committee applications due September 2nd
- 8/25/2014: Brandon Novak wins 2014 Storm Beechmont Toyota Battle at the Grove in Cincinnati
- 8/25/2014: TALKTENPIN UK: 1960's promotional film for tenpin bowling unearthed
- 8/25/2014: Fourth PBA title for Finn, Storm's two-hander Palermaa wins final WBT event in Thailand; Storm's Kulick takes women's trophy
- 8/25/2014: Storm's Shawn Maldonado wins PBA Greenville Southwest Open
- 8/25/2014: Storm's PJ Haggerty champions PBA Steve Cook's Fireside Lanes Capital City West/NW Open; Storm's Boomershine is top woman finisher
- 8/25/2014: Ryan Shafer blowing away competition in PBA East Region
- 8/24/2014: Koreans dominate Round 3 of WBT Thailand
- 8/24/2014: American debutant wins Round 2 at WBT
- 8/23/2014: Storm's Palermaa takes over lead at WBT in Thailand
- 8/22/2014: Trio cracks top bracket, Storm's Larsen leading WBT
- 8/22/2014: Storm accepts #ALSIceBucketChallenge - NOW we're calling out every bowler around the world!
- 8/21/2014: Who's birthday do you think it is!?!? Mine!
- 8/21/2014: #TBT 2012 USBC Queens Championship Match: Storm's Diandra Asbaty vs Roto Grip's Carolyn Dorin-Ballard
- 8/21/2014: PBA NEWS: Storm's Duke wins PBA50 POY and ROY, Williams and Weber top stats
- 8/21/2014: The 11th Frame: King Pins Lanes in Springfield, Illinois hosting 2 PBA Regionals, Storm Doubles over Labor Day weekend
- 8/20/2014: Record year continues for Nidiffer with victory at New Mexico Open; Storm's Jensen and Fagan finish top 5
- 8/20/2014: The 11th Frame: Commissioner Tom Clark expects PBA deal with Bowlmor AMF
- 8/20/2014: SB Nation's 'What's A Sport And What's Not?' results from reddit poll; What do people think about bowling...?
- 8/19/2014: Junior Bowling News: 47th Annual NorCal All Star Youth Banquet
- 8/19/2014: Underground Bowling Association: Embrace the Culture!
- 8/19/2014: IAB: 10 Signs You’re In a Relationship With Bowling
- 8/19/2014: Detroit Bowling Legend, PBA Hall of Famer Gene Stus Passes Away at 74 - Services set for tomorrow
- 8/18/2014: Bowlers World to host 2nd Mega Matchmaker LIVE
- 8/18/2014: Real Bowlers Tour News: BJ Moore wins 20th Annual Eric DeFreitas Scratch Classic
- 8/18/2014: Wisconsin State Journal: Bowling centers learn to adapt to changing times
- 8/17/2014: Matt Gasn cruises in stepladder, defeats top seed Jonathan Schalow to win 11thFrame.com Open title
- 8/17/2014: Storm's Ryan Shafer defeats Roto Grip's Brian LeClair to win PBA Bethmann Russell Syracuse Eastern Open
- 8/17/2014: 11thframe.com Open: Greg Thomas conquers demanding condition to lead qualifying; Storm's Carbonetto leads women qualifying
- 8/16/2014: Battle Bowl V Cat Fight - Nikki vs Kelly Today 6pm EST
- 8/15/2014: Diandra Asbaty: Passion is Powerful
- 8/15/2014: IAB: The Art of Bowling Tattoos and Their Stories
- 8/15/2014: Sweden, Japan Win Masters at 2014 World Youth Championships; Team USA Wesley Low Silver Medalist
- 8/14/2014: #TBT Pete Weber - 1991 BPAA US Open
- 8/14/2014: IAB: Impressively Awesome Bowling Loft Shot by Marshall Kent
- 8/14/2014: Standout Bowling Mobile Apps
- 8/14/2014: Watch Live-Streaming of 2014 World Youth Championships on BowlTV
- 8/14/2014: Year 10 Student To Bowl for England After 'Striking Against' Scoliosis
- 8/13/2014: Norm Duke Earns PBA50 Player and Rookie of the Year; W.R. Williams Wins PBA50 Treasure Island Resort & Casino Open
- 8/13/2014: The Foul Line: Ryan Shafer
- 8/13/2014: USA Win Team Gold Medal at 2014 World Youth Championships
- 8/13/2014: Junior Team USA Two-Handed Southpaw Wesley Low Rolls First 300 Game of 13th CGSE World Youth Championships
- 8/12/2014: Duke Retains Inside Track in PBA50 Player of the Year Race, Leading Treasure Island Resort & Casino Open
- 8/12/2014: Treasure Island Resort & Casino Bowl Down Cancer Charity Bowling Match Raises Hundreds of Thousands of Pennies
- 8/12/2014: 11th Annual New Mexico Open presented by Tenpins & More, Storm August 11-17
- 8/12/2014: Illinois State Bowling Hall of Famer, Former Senior PBA Rookie of the Year Makes Great Catch on Homer, Then Throws Back Different Ball
- 8/12/2014: England's Barnsley Metrodome to Host 15th Annual Weber Cup in October
- 8/11/2014: Storm's Mike Edwards Leads PBA50 Treasure Island Casino & Resort After One Round; Weber, Duke and Pedersen Top 10
- 8/11/2014: Did You Celebrate National Bowling Day This Weekend?
- 8/11/2014: Storm's Tammy Turner to be Enshrined Into Utah State USBC WBA Hall of Fame for Superior Performance
- 8/11/2014: UBA Batte Bowl V Starts Friday at Host Center Brunswick Zone Carolier Lanes
- 8/11/2014: 10 Things That Really Matter In Bowling!
- 8/11/2014: USA, Sweden Win Doubles at 2014 World Youth Championships - Congratulations Sarah Lokker and Liz Kuhlkin
- 8/11/2014: 11thframe.com Open August 16-17 in Dubuque, Iowa
- 8/10/2014: Storm's Anthony Pepe Wins PBA Bowlers Supply East Open, Capturing First Career Region Title
- 8/09/2014: PBA Hall of Famer Pete Weber Takes On Kare 11 Sports' Eric Perkins in Charity Match Tomorrow
- 8/09/2014: Korea Sweeps Singles at 2014 World Youth Championships
- 8/08/2014: You Know You’re A Bowler When . . .
- 8/07/2014: Storm's Jack Jurek Wins PBA50 South Shore Open; Pedersen Continues Torrid Pace Since Trip to Storm Last Month
- 8/07/2014: 50th Anniversary Barbasol PBA Tournament of Champions Returns to Indy
- 8/07/2014: #TBT USBC Retro Roll: 1993 Team USA Trials - Liz Johnson vs Tammy Turner
- 8/07/2014: WYC Today: Ball Registration and Official Practice Squads A, B, C and D
- 8/07/2014: PBA Spare Shots: Hall of Famer Jason Couch Wins PBA East “Super Regional”; Haggerty's Welcome Twin Bundles of Joy
- 8/07/2014: The Junior Gold Experience 5-Day Diary!
- 8/06/2014: Second Round 846 Series Catapults Weber Into PBA50 South Shore Open Lead; Jurek and Pedersen In Top-5
- 8/06/2014: 76th Bowlers Journal All-American Team presented by USBC
- 8/06/2014: Does Fear of Injury Keep You From the Gym?
- 8/06/2014: Thailand Event Will Finalize 2014 World Bowling Tour Rankings; Belmo Just 17 Points Off Lead, Kulick Has Comfortable Lead on Women's Side
- 8/06/2014: Hong Kong 2014 World Youth Championships Declared Open After Opening Ceremony
- 8/06/2014: Grand Strand Bowling For Vets: Combining Love of Bowling With Love of Country
- 8/05/2014: Harry Sullins Leads PBA50 South Shore Open First Round; Jurek, Weber and Pedersen in Top-10
- 8/05/2014: Entries Open August 15 for PBA World Series of Bowling VI, Will Include Traditional Animal Lane Patterns
- 8/05/2014: Bowling in NASCAR Spotlight at Pocono Raceway
- 8/05/2014: Junior Team USA Already Having Memorable Week in Hong Kong
- 8/05/2014: Scroggins Brothers Name Members of 10-Lefty Group for 2015 USBC Open Championships
- 8/04/2014: Learn More About Youth Education Services (YES) High School Grant Assistance Program
- 8/04/2014: World Youth Championships Begin this Week in Hong Kong
- 8/04/2014: Storm Products Is New Presenting Sponsor of Junior Gold Championships
- 8/03/2014: Luci Bonneau Memorial Striking Against Breast Cancer Mixed Doubles Tournament Results
- 8/03/2014: Storm Web Press Conference Tomorrow Regarding Youth Bowling
- 8/03/2014: USA Wins Three Team Titles at Tournament of the Americas; Tish Johnson, Steelsmith and Teel Take Home All Events Trophies
- 8/01/2014: Chicagoland Area to Host 2015 USBC Junior Gold Championships
- 8/01/2014: 11thframe.com Ball Review, Storm Optimus Quickly Becoming a Wildly Popular Arsenal Addition
- 8/01/2014: United States Dominates Mixed Doubles at Tournament of the Americas
- 8/01/2014: PBA Bowlers Supply East Open presented by Storm
- 8/01/2014: PBA Spare Shots: Regional Points Competition Races Heating Up, Carolyn Dorin-Ballard Becomes PBA50 Tour Eligible
- 8/01/2014: World Bowling Community Set to Grow as Digital Presence Expands