Bowling News USA - August 1, 2014 11thframe.com Ball Review, Storm Optimus Quickly Becoming a Wildly Popular Arsenal Addition
The striking thing (pun intended) about the new OPTIMUS, released July 1, is the interesting new Tri-Sphere core, which Storm says “brings new meaning to the term 'power personified.' "
The RG for the Tri-Sphere core is in line with the Centripetal core of the Master line, while the differential is greater than the IQ TOUR but under the MARVEL PEARL.
The coverstock is the strong R2X pearl found in the MARVEL PEARL.
My first experience with the OPTIMUS was at the PBA Senior U.S. Open at Suncoast in Las Vegas the first week of June. After a brutal first round, Storm rep Jim Callahan mapped out an OPTIMUS with the pin under my bridge and CG kicked right at about a 60-degree drilling angle. It has a medium weight hole kicked to the right in line with my thumb. I hesitate to give the numbers because I’ve been messing with my grip and am not sure what my PAP is. The ball is pictured with this blog — sorry for it being a side view ... trying to figure out why it's square on my desktop but shows up in side view in this review.
I bowled on the fresh in the second round of the Senior Open so we hit my OPTIMUS with Turbo sandbagger 1,500 and then a 1,000 Abralon pad by hand.
I quickly noticed two things about the OPTIMUS: it gave me reaction no other ball in my bag gave me and it lane shined quickly. The lane shining may have been due to the heavy, nearly flat Senior Open pattern with Brunswick’s thickest oil. (I also saw this in the USBC Senior Masters with Kegel Ice oil.)
Regardless, the OPTIMUS got into a strong roll AND made a very strong back-end move, which was something I saw with no other ball in my bag in the Senior Open. My first two games of the second round with the OPTIMUS were 233 and 224, which were easily my two best of the tournament. (Yes, I struggled!)
I have since bowled with the OPTIMUS at the USBC Senior Masters, on a transitioned house shot, and on the fresh USBC Open Championships team pattern. And I can unequivocally say that the OPTIMUS rolls like no other ball I’ve ever thrown, which makes sense since this is an entirely new weight block.
It rolls quickly and strongly similar to the SYNC, but not so early like the SYNC that it demands a ton of head oil, which probably is due to the R2X Pearl cover. Even with that quick and strong roll, the OPTIMUS makes a ridiculously strong move in the back. The move is more smooth than it is angular, however.
And likely because it’s “rolly,” it doesn’t seem to over-react on misses to the dry — a valuable trait for balls on house shots or transitioned non-house shots. I would think this would make the OPTIMUS a great ball for high-rev players who hate seeing their ball hit the dry, check up and jump high. It looks to me like the OPTIMUS will be forgiving on balls grabbed a little or sent wide early for all players.
As I said, the OPTIMUS was the only ball I had that got into a roll and consistently turned the corner for me at the Senior Open, and on more forgiving conditions it provides a ridiculous amount of miss room to the right. In fact, it took me a while to not be surprised by shots I thought were out the window turning the corner and coming back to the pocket — even on non-house shots.
The one negative I’ve seen with my OPTIMUS is that it provides me little miss area on shots cut short or pulled, which is logical considering its quick and strong roll. This does NOT mean I haven’t seen hold with it on good shots when properly lined up; it means bad shots are going high. And needless to say, this characteristic was more pronounced the rougher the surface of the ball.
The bottom line is that the miss room with the OPTIMUS definitely is to the outside!
The other notable thing about the OPTIMUS is that it keeps the pins low, which I believe generally makes for better carry. I may have a few more weak 10s with the OPTIMUS, but I’ve also seen fewer solid 9s, ring 10s, and blower/mixer 7s. The OPTIMUS comes 1,500-grit polished but works well with rougher surfaces, though as I said it does lane shine quickly.
I am looking forward to the Tri-Sphere core with a solid coverstock, which should be a monster of a ball for oil. I would think that ball would have me retiring my SYNC. I do like my OPTIMUS best with shine and actually plan to plug it and re-drill it with a pin over the bridge to get it down the lane easier and take advantage of its strength of providing generous swing area.
With the proper surface, I can’t think of any condition the OPTIMUS couldn’t handle, although slow speed and rev-dominant players likely would need a weaker piece for hooking conditions.
I can’t think of any style of bowler who I wouldn’t recommend the OPTIMUS to — it’s that good and versatile.
- 8/31/2014: USBC Team USA NEWS: Fagan, Johnson lead Summer Team USA Trials after Round 2
- 8/31/2014: PBA NEWS: GEICO Returns as Partner of PBA World Series of Bowling VI
- 8/30/2014: PBA NEWS: 50th Anniversary TOC Highlights PBA's 2014-15 ESPN Schedule; First Show Airs December 14
- 8/28/2014: ATTENTION BOWLERS: Storm is having a 'Back-To-League' Labor Day Weekend Sale with FREE shipping!
- 8/28/2014: #TBT USBC Retro Roll: You won't believe how this one ends!
- 8/28/2014: Killeen Daily Herald: Duke honored for stellar PBA50 debut
- 8/28/2014: "Godzilla" the bowling cat!?!? Bowlers Journal International launches YouTube Channel...
- 8/27/2014: USBC NEWS: Summer Team USA Trials begin Friday at ITRC
- 8/27/2014: 11thframe.com Ball Review: P|tch Black - 'should be in every serious bowler’s arsenal'
- 8/27/2014: 2014 PABCON Women’s Championships Schedule and Team USA Roster
- 8/26/2014: The 11th Frame: King Pins Lanes hosting 2 PBA Regionals, Storm Doubles and 13th Annual Mary Teubner Memorial Pro-Am
- 8/26/2014: PBA South Region Points Leaders, Storm's Christina Hardee earns entry for GEICO PBA World Series of Bowling VI
- 8/26/2014: PBA NEWS: PBA moving administrative headquarters to Chicago
- 8/26/2014: WORLD BOWLING NEWS: World Bowling Tour finals to showcase world's best bowlers
- 8/26/2014: USBC NEWS: USBC Board, IBC Youth Committee applications due September 2nd
- 8/25/2014: Brandon Novak wins 2014 Storm Beechmont Toyota Battle at the Grove in Cincinnati
- 8/25/2014: TALKTENPIN UK: 1960's promotional film for tenpin bowling unearthed
- 8/25/2014: Fourth PBA title for Finn, Storm's two-hander Palermaa wins final WBT event in Thailand; Storm's Kulick takes women's trophy
- 8/25/2014: Storm's Shawn Maldonado wins PBA Greenville Southwest Open
- 8/25/2014: Storm's PJ Haggerty champions PBA Steve Cook's Fireside Lanes Capital City West/NW Open; Storm's Boomershine is top woman finisher
- 8/25/2014: Ryan Shafer blowing away competition in PBA East Region
- 8/24/2014: Koreans dominate Round 3 of WBT Thailand
- 8/24/2014: American debutant wins Round 2 at WBT
- 8/23/2014: Storm's Palermaa takes over lead at WBT in Thailand
- 8/22/2014: Trio cracks top bracket, Storm's Larsen leading WBT
- 8/22/2014: Storm accepts #ALSIceBucketChallenge - NOW we're calling out every bowler around the world!
- 8/21/2014: Who's birthday do you think it is!?!? Mine!
- 8/21/2014: #TBT 2012 USBC Queens Championship Match: Storm's Diandra Asbaty vs Roto Grip's Carolyn Dorin-Ballard
- 8/21/2014: PBA NEWS: Storm's Duke wins PBA50 POY and ROY, Williams and Weber top stats
- 8/21/2014: The 11th Frame: King Pins Lanes in Springfield, Illinois hosting 2 PBA Regionals, Storm Doubles over Labor Day weekend
- 8/20/2014: Record year continues for Nidiffer with victory at New Mexico Open; Storm's Jensen and Fagan finish top 5
- 8/20/2014: The 11th Frame: Commissioner Tom Clark expects PBA deal with Bowlmor AMF
- 8/20/2014: SB Nation's 'What's A Sport And What's Not?' results from reddit poll; What do people think about bowling...?
- 8/19/2014: Junior Bowling News: 47th Annual NorCal All Star Youth Banquet
- 8/19/2014: Underground Bowling Association: Embrace the Culture!
- 8/19/2014: IAB: 10 Signs You’re In a Relationship With Bowling
- 8/19/2014: Detroit Bowling Legend, PBA Hall of Famer Gene Stus Passes Away at 74 - Services set for tomorrow
- 8/18/2014: Bowlers World to host 2nd Mega Matchmaker LIVE
- 8/18/2014: Real Bowlers Tour News: BJ Moore wins 20th Annual Eric DeFreitas Scratch Classic
- 8/18/2014: Wisconsin State Journal: Bowling centers learn to adapt to changing times
- 8/17/2014: Matt Gasn cruises in stepladder, defeats top seed Jonathan Schalow to win 11thFrame.com Open title
- 8/17/2014: Storm's Ryan Shafer defeats Roto Grip's Brian LeClair to win PBA Bethmann Russell Syracuse Eastern Open
- 8/17/2014: 11thframe.com Open: Greg Thomas conquers demanding condition to lead qualifying; Storm's Carbonetto leads women qualifying
- 8/16/2014: Battle Bowl V Cat Fight - Nikki vs Kelly Today 6pm EST
- 8/15/2014: Diandra Asbaty: Passion is Powerful
- 8/15/2014: IAB: The Art of Bowling Tattoos and Their Stories
- 8/15/2014: Sweden, Japan Win Masters at 2014 World Youth Championships; Team USA Wesley Low Silver Medalist
- 8/14/2014: #TBT Pete Weber - 1991 BPAA US Open
- 8/14/2014: IAB: Impressively Awesome Bowling Loft Shot by Marshall Kent
- 8/14/2014: Standout Bowling Mobile Apps
- 8/14/2014: Watch Live-Streaming of 2014 World Youth Championships on BowlTV
- 8/14/2014: Year 10 Student To Bowl for England After 'Striking Against' Scoliosis
- 8/13/2014: Norm Duke Earns PBA50 Player and Rookie of the Year; W.R. Williams Wins PBA50 Treasure Island Resort & Casino Open
- 8/13/2014: The Foul Line: Ryan Shafer
- 8/13/2014: USA Win Team Gold Medal at 2014 World Youth Championships
- 8/13/2014: Junior Team USA Two-Handed Southpaw Wesley Low Rolls First 300 Game of 13th CGSE World Youth Championships
- 8/12/2014: Duke Retains Inside Track in PBA50 Player of the Year Race, Leading Treasure Island Resort & Casino Open
- 8/12/2014: Treasure Island Resort & Casino Bowl Down Cancer Charity Bowling Match Raises Hundreds of Thousands of Pennies
- 8/12/2014: 11th Annual New Mexico Open presented by Tenpins & More, Storm August 11-17
- 8/12/2014: Illinois State Bowling Hall of Famer, Former Senior PBA Rookie of the Year Makes Great Catch on Homer, Then Throws Back Different Ball
- 8/12/2014: England's Barnsley Metrodome to Host 15th Annual Weber Cup in October
- 8/11/2014: Storm's Mike Edwards Leads PBA50 Treasure Island Casino & Resort After One Round; Weber, Duke and Pedersen Top 10
- 8/11/2014: Did You Celebrate National Bowling Day This Weekend?
- 8/11/2014: Storm's Tammy Turner to be Enshrined Into Utah State USBC WBA Hall of Fame for Superior Performance
- 8/11/2014: UBA Batte Bowl V Starts Friday at Host Center Brunswick Zone Carolier Lanes
- 8/11/2014: 10 Things That Really Matter In Bowling!
- 8/11/2014: USA, Sweden Win Doubles at 2014 World Youth Championships - Congratulations Sarah Lokker and Liz Kuhlkin
- 8/11/2014: 11thframe.com Open August 16-17 in Dubuque, Iowa
- 8/10/2014: Storm's Anthony Pepe Wins PBA Bowlers Supply East Open, Capturing First Career Region Title
- 8/09/2014: PBA Hall of Famer Pete Weber Takes On Kare 11 Sports' Eric Perkins in Charity Match Tomorrow
- 8/09/2014: Korea Sweeps Singles at 2014 World Youth Championships
- 8/08/2014: You Know You’re A Bowler When . . .
- 8/07/2014: Storm's Jack Jurek Wins PBA50 South Shore Open; Pedersen Continues Torrid Pace Since Trip to Storm Last Month
- 8/07/2014: 50th Anniversary Barbasol PBA Tournament of Champions Returns to Indy
- 8/07/2014: #TBT USBC Retro Roll: 1993 Team USA Trials - Liz Johnson vs Tammy Turner
- 8/07/2014: WYC Today: Ball Registration and Official Practice Squads A, B, C and D
- 8/07/2014: PBA Spare Shots: Hall of Famer Jason Couch Wins PBA East “Super Regional”; Haggerty's Welcome Twin Bundles of Joy
- 8/07/2014: The Junior Gold Experience 5-Day Diary!
- 8/06/2014: Second Round 846 Series Catapults Weber Into PBA50 South Shore Open Lead; Jurek and Pedersen In Top-5
- 8/06/2014: 76th Bowlers Journal All-American Team presented by USBC
- 8/06/2014: Does Fear of Injury Keep You From the Gym?
- 8/06/2014: Thailand Event Will Finalize 2014 World Bowling Tour Rankings; Belmo Just 17 Points Off Lead, Kulick Has Comfortable Lead on Women's Side
- 8/06/2014: Hong Kong 2014 World Youth Championships Declared Open After Opening Ceremony
- 8/06/2014: Grand Strand Bowling For Vets: Combining Love of Bowling With Love of Country
- 8/05/2014: Harry Sullins Leads PBA50 South Shore Open First Round; Jurek, Weber and Pedersen in Top-10
- 8/05/2014: Entries Open August 15 for PBA World Series of Bowling VI, Will Include Traditional Animal Lane Patterns
- 8/05/2014: Bowling in NASCAR Spotlight at Pocono Raceway
- 8/05/2014: Junior Team USA Already Having Memorable Week in Hong Kong
- 8/05/2014: Scroggins Brothers Name Members of 10-Lefty Group for 2015 USBC Open Championships
- 8/04/2014: Learn More About Youth Education Services (YES) High School Grant Assistance Program
- 8/04/2014: World Youth Championships Begin this Week in Hong Kong
- 8/04/2014: Storm Products Is New Presenting Sponsor of Junior Gold Championships
- 8/03/2014: Luci Bonneau Memorial Striking Against Breast Cancer Mixed Doubles Tournament Results
- 8/03/2014: Storm Web Press Conference Tomorrow Regarding Youth Bowling
- 8/03/2014: USA Wins Three Team Titles at Tournament of the Americas; Tish Johnson, Steelsmith and Teel Take Home All Events Trophies
- 8/01/2014: Chicagoland Area to Host 2015 USBC Junior Gold Championships
- 8/01/2014: 11thframe.com Ball Review, Storm Optimus Quickly Becoming a Wildly Popular Arsenal Addition
- 8/01/2014: United States Dominates Mixed Doubles at Tournament of the Americas
- 8/01/2014: PBA Bowlers Supply East Open presented by Storm
- 8/01/2014: PBA Spare Shots: Regional Points Competition Races Heating Up, Carolyn Dorin-Ballard Becomes PBA50 Tour Eligible
- 8/01/2014: World Bowling Community Set to Grow as Digital Presence Expands