Bowling News USA - August 11, 2014 11thframe.com Open August 16-17 in Dubuque, Iowa
Matt McNiel cruised to a dominating win in the 2012 11thFrame.com Open. Pictured left to right are Bob Hochrein (General Manager of Cherry Lanes), McNiel, runnerup Shannon Buchan, Mike Flanagan (InsideBowling.com), and Jeff Richgels (11thFrame.com). Photo by Kim Richter.
STORY BY JEFF RICHGELS • 11thframe.com
Thanks to the great people and entities putting it on, the 11thFrame.com Open set for Aug. 16-17 at beautiful Cherry Lanes inside the Diamond Jo casino in Dubuque, Iowa will be a bowler’s dream.
Along with an innovative format and (hopefully) challenging lane pattern playable from multiple angles, the tournament will have at least $4,000 in sponsorship money and the entire $150 entry fee will go to the prize fund.
Yes, Cherry Lanes is graciously donating the lineage for the tournament. Thank you general manager Bob Hochrein and everyone at Cherry Lanes and the Diamond Jo. Hochrein is a USBC Open Championships and PBA regional title holder who cares about the sport and manages a top notch staff.
And yes, the Greater Iowa Bowling Association is graciously taking no expense fee for running the tournament, which will be part of GIBA’s schedule for 2014-15. Thank you GIBA operator Joe Engelkes and his family, who never take expense fees for running their events — all Joe ever does is take a portion of the bracket proceeds while donating the rest back to the prize funds.
Joe is one of the top tournament operators I know and I couldn’t think of a better guy and group to run the 11thframe.com Open.
The only extra fee entrants must pay is the GIBA $10 season membership fee, and that gets you the right to compete in other GIBA events like the great Fusion Realtors Open tournaments in Waterloo, Iowa, and the end-of-season extras.
Joe and GIBA are taking entries now and the only way to guarantee a spot and make a squad request is to send in your entry fee! To reserve a spot and make a squad request, send your $150 check made out to GIBA to GIBA, c/o Joe Engelkes, 3018 Saratoga Drive, Waterloo, IA 50702. He can be reached at 319-236-0955 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The only way to guarantee a spot and make a squad request is to send in your entry fee! To reserve a spot and make a squad request, send your $150 check made out to GIBA to:
Update June 28 and July 3: Mike Flanagan of Storm and InsideBowling.com has a conflict and can't webcast the event, but we have made a deal with Craig Elliott and MichiganBowler.tv so there will be webcasting of the tournament!
And all we ask of you is to patronize the sponsors who are helping making this possible: drink Coors Light if you have a beer, eat and gamble at Cherry Lanes and the Diamond Jo, and patronize Storm Products. (The Diamond Jo officially will be part of Boyd Gaming by the time of the tournament, so whenever you are in a city with a choice in gambling facilities and one is a Boyd property, you could patronize the Boyd property and let them know why. Other Boyd facilities include Suncoast, Orleans and Gold Coast in Las Vegas.)
This will be the second 11thframe.com Open — the inaugural event in 2012 was won by Matt McNeil, as I wrote up here, but we elected not to hold it last year because we could not get it done correctly.
I think everyone will agree it was worth the wait.
The format will be something different that started in the fertile mind of Flanagan, a true out-of-the-box thinker.
It will feature traditional qualifying squads at 9 a.m., 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Saturday with pins carrying over and one-third of the bowlers advancing to Sunday and cashing. With three squads full, there would be a 144-bowler field and 48 players advancing and cashing. With three squads, the qualifying will be 6 games. If entries are 96 or fewer, we will go to two squads of 8 games.
Re-entries will be allowed, with priority given to first entries in this way: New entries will have priority if they are paid before Saturday. Re-entries will come next if they are paid before Saturday. For those paid on Saturday, new entries will get priority over re-entries up to half an hour before the final two squads’ scheduled start time, then it will be first come, first served until the squads start.
As in the Fusions, bowlers can request to bowl with specific bowlers but lane assignments for pairs will be by random draw.
Sunday will feature 12 games of bowling with bonus pins based on score from highest to lowest.
For example, if 48 advance to Sunday in each game the highest scorer will get 48 bonus pins, the second-highest scorer 47 pins, so on down to 1 bonus pin for the lowest score each game. Whatever number of finalists there are, that number of bonus pins will go to the high scorer down to 1 pin for the lowest score each game.
Yes, it’s not head-to-head; instead, it’s all-against-one. The idea is to reward the consistently solid bowler and not the one who may bowl the right people at the right time. And everyone who makes the cut gets to bowl all of Sunday's games.
After those 12 games, the top five will compete in a stepladder finals on fresh oil.
The lane pattern will be a Sport compliant pattern, but I am less concerned with scoring level than with letting all parts of the lane play, depending how you throw it.
At least the basic parameters of the pattern will be released in advance at 11thframe.com. The actual pattern will be available at Cherry Lanes in advance of all squads.
The pattern will be put down on eight lanes on Friday, Aug. 15 if anyone wants to practice at a price of $2.75 per game, Hochrein said. Cosmic bowling begins at 7 p.m., he said.
There will be optional prize funds for seniors and women similar to the Fusions, along with brackets and pot games. And there will be a SMART option for youth bowlers, as GIBA offers with the Fusions.
Seniors and women each are guaranteed a 1-in-3 cashing ratio paying at least $150 per check. For example, if 15 seniors enter and two cash in the regular prize list there would be three separate senior checks so five cash.
There also will be brackets, pot games and a Bet You Win pot. And a separate $20 entry fee for a separate additional prize fund likely will be offered for both seniors and women — this is not noted on the flyer.
The total estimated prize fund, which is detailed in the flyer attached to the bottom of this blog, based on 144 entries is $24,950. That is well above the $21,600 from 144 entries at $150 each. (It's not exactly $4,000 extra to cover some senior, female and youth checks; if there are not that amount of senior, female and youth checks the extra funds will go to the regular prize list.)
The top five spots will be $2,500, $2,000, $1,500, $1,100 and $900, down to $200 for the 48th and last check.
If additional sponsorship is obtained, it will be used to pay extra spots, senior and/or female checks, or improve the overall prize list.
Like the Fusions, the field will be open to anyone, including the top pros. However, with a first prize only around $2,500 and Brian Kretzer’s big PBA Regional in Ohio and the New Mexico Open that weekend, it's unlikely many will enter. But any who do will be welcome.
Entry information is on the flyer at the bottom of this blog.
There is a room block at the nearby Holiday Inn in downtown Dubuque, which is about a 5- to 10-minute walk. The room rate is $94 plus tax through July 31 and you must ask for the Cherry Lanes room block. The Holiday Inn is very nice and convenient.
Finally, Susie "Fever" Dyhr has been working to develop a charitable relationship for the tournament with Green Acres Boxer Rescue of Wisconsin. Anyone who knows of the two Boxers I've had in my life — the famed Norman and Clifford — will understand how near and dear Green Acres is to my heart. It's likely where Sue and I will get our next dog at some point. She is designing some T-shirts for the tournament with Green Acres benefiting from each sale. Details to come.
- 8/31/2014: USBC Team USA NEWS: Fagan, Johnson lead Summer Team USA Trials after Round 2
- 8/31/2014: PBA NEWS: GEICO Returns as Partner of PBA World Series of Bowling VI
- 8/30/2014: PBA NEWS: 50th Anniversary TOC Highlights PBA's 2014-15 ESPN Schedule; First Show Airs December 14
- 8/28/2014: ATTENTION BOWLERS: Storm is having a 'Back-To-League' Labor Day Weekend Sale with FREE shipping!
- 8/28/2014: #TBT USBC Retro Roll: You won't believe how this one ends!
- 8/28/2014: Killeen Daily Herald: Duke honored for stellar PBA50 debut
- 8/28/2014: "Godzilla" the bowling cat!?!? Bowlers Journal International launches YouTube Channel...
- 8/27/2014: USBC NEWS: Summer Team USA Trials begin Friday at ITRC
- 8/27/2014: 11thframe.com Ball Review: P|tch Black - 'should be in every serious bowler’s arsenal'
- 8/27/2014: 2014 PABCON Women’s Championships Schedule and Team USA Roster
- 8/26/2014: The 11th Frame: King Pins Lanes hosting 2 PBA Regionals, Storm Doubles and 13th Annual Mary Teubner Memorial Pro-Am
- 8/26/2014: PBA South Region Points Leaders, Storm's Christina Hardee earns entry for GEICO PBA World Series of Bowling VI
- 8/26/2014: PBA NEWS: PBA moving administrative headquarters to Chicago
- 8/26/2014: WORLD BOWLING NEWS: World Bowling Tour finals to showcase world's best bowlers
- 8/26/2014: USBC NEWS: USBC Board, IBC Youth Committee applications due September 2nd
- 8/25/2014: Brandon Novak wins 2014 Storm Beechmont Toyota Battle at the Grove in Cincinnati
- 8/25/2014: TALKTENPIN UK: 1960's promotional film for tenpin bowling unearthed
- 8/25/2014: Fourth PBA title for Finn, Storm's two-hander Palermaa wins final WBT event in Thailand; Storm's Kulick takes women's trophy
- 8/25/2014: Storm's Shawn Maldonado wins PBA Greenville Southwest Open
- 8/25/2014: Storm's PJ Haggerty champions PBA Steve Cook's Fireside Lanes Capital City West/NW Open; Storm's Boomershine is top woman finisher
- 8/25/2014: Ryan Shafer blowing away competition in PBA East Region
- 8/24/2014: Koreans dominate Round 3 of WBT Thailand
- 8/24/2014: American debutant wins Round 2 at WBT
- 8/23/2014: Storm's Palermaa takes over lead at WBT in Thailand
- 8/22/2014: Trio cracks top bracket, Storm's Larsen leading WBT
- 8/22/2014: Storm accepts #ALSIceBucketChallenge - NOW we're calling out every bowler around the world!
- 8/21/2014: Who's birthday do you think it is!?!? Mine!
- 8/21/2014: #TBT 2012 USBC Queens Championship Match: Storm's Diandra Asbaty vs Roto Grip's Carolyn Dorin-Ballard
- 8/21/2014: PBA NEWS: Storm's Duke wins PBA50 POY and ROY, Williams and Weber top stats
- 8/21/2014: The 11th Frame: King Pins Lanes in Springfield, Illinois hosting 2 PBA Regionals, Storm Doubles over Labor Day weekend
- 8/20/2014: Record year continues for Nidiffer with victory at New Mexico Open; Storm's Jensen and Fagan finish top 5
- 8/20/2014: The 11th Frame: Commissioner Tom Clark expects PBA deal with Bowlmor AMF
- 8/20/2014: SB Nation's 'What's A Sport And What's Not?' results from reddit poll; What do people think about bowling...?
- 8/19/2014: Junior Bowling News: 47th Annual NorCal All Star Youth Banquet
- 8/19/2014: Underground Bowling Association: Embrace the Culture!
- 8/19/2014: IAB: 10 Signs You’re In a Relationship With Bowling
- 8/19/2014: Detroit Bowling Legend, PBA Hall of Famer Gene Stus Passes Away at 74 - Services set for tomorrow
- 8/18/2014: Bowlers World to host 2nd Mega Matchmaker LIVE
- 8/18/2014: Real Bowlers Tour News: BJ Moore wins 20th Annual Eric DeFreitas Scratch Classic
- 8/18/2014: Wisconsin State Journal: Bowling centers learn to adapt to changing times
- 8/17/2014: Matt Gasn cruises in stepladder, defeats top seed Jonathan Schalow to win 11thFrame.com Open title
- 8/17/2014: Storm's Ryan Shafer defeats Roto Grip's Brian LeClair to win PBA Bethmann Russell Syracuse Eastern Open
- 8/17/2014: 11thframe.com Open: Greg Thomas conquers demanding condition to lead qualifying; Storm's Carbonetto leads women qualifying
- 8/16/2014: Battle Bowl V Cat Fight - Nikki vs Kelly Today 6pm EST
- 8/15/2014: Diandra Asbaty: Passion is Powerful
- 8/15/2014: IAB: The Art of Bowling Tattoos and Their Stories
- 8/15/2014: Sweden, Japan Win Masters at 2014 World Youth Championships; Team USA Wesley Low Silver Medalist
- 8/14/2014: #TBT Pete Weber - 1991 BPAA US Open
- 8/14/2014: IAB: Impressively Awesome Bowling Loft Shot by Marshall Kent
- 8/14/2014: Standout Bowling Mobile Apps
- 8/14/2014: Watch Live-Streaming of 2014 World Youth Championships on BowlTV
- 8/14/2014: Year 10 Student To Bowl for England After 'Striking Against' Scoliosis
- 8/13/2014: Norm Duke Earns PBA50 Player and Rookie of the Year; W.R. Williams Wins PBA50 Treasure Island Resort & Casino Open
- 8/13/2014: The Foul Line: Ryan Shafer
- 8/13/2014: USA Win Team Gold Medal at 2014 World Youth Championships
- 8/13/2014: Junior Team USA Two-Handed Southpaw Wesley Low Rolls First 300 Game of 13th CGSE World Youth Championships
- 8/12/2014: Duke Retains Inside Track in PBA50 Player of the Year Race, Leading Treasure Island Resort & Casino Open
- 8/12/2014: Treasure Island Resort & Casino Bowl Down Cancer Charity Bowling Match Raises Hundreds of Thousands of Pennies
- 8/12/2014: 11th Annual New Mexico Open presented by Tenpins & More, Storm August 11-17
- 8/12/2014: Illinois State Bowling Hall of Famer, Former Senior PBA Rookie of the Year Makes Great Catch on Homer, Then Throws Back Different Ball
- 8/12/2014: England's Barnsley Metrodome to Host 15th Annual Weber Cup in October
- 8/11/2014: Storm's Mike Edwards Leads PBA50 Treasure Island Casino & Resort After One Round; Weber, Duke and Pedersen Top 10
- 8/11/2014: Did You Celebrate National Bowling Day This Weekend?
- 8/11/2014: Storm's Tammy Turner to be Enshrined Into Utah State USBC WBA Hall of Fame for Superior Performance
- 8/11/2014: UBA Batte Bowl V Starts Friday at Host Center Brunswick Zone Carolier Lanes
- 8/11/2014: 10 Things That Really Matter In Bowling!
- 8/11/2014: USA, Sweden Win Doubles at 2014 World Youth Championships - Congratulations Sarah Lokker and Liz Kuhlkin
- 8/11/2014: 11thframe.com Open August 16-17 in Dubuque, Iowa
- 8/10/2014: Storm's Anthony Pepe Wins PBA Bowlers Supply East Open, Capturing First Career Region Title
- 8/09/2014: PBA Hall of Famer Pete Weber Takes On Kare 11 Sports' Eric Perkins in Charity Match Tomorrow
- 8/09/2014: Korea Sweeps Singles at 2014 World Youth Championships
- 8/08/2014: You Know You’re A Bowler When . . .
- 8/07/2014: Storm's Jack Jurek Wins PBA50 South Shore Open; Pedersen Continues Torrid Pace Since Trip to Storm Last Month
- 8/07/2014: 50th Anniversary Barbasol PBA Tournament of Champions Returns to Indy
- 8/07/2014: #TBT USBC Retro Roll: 1993 Team USA Trials - Liz Johnson vs Tammy Turner
- 8/07/2014: WYC Today: Ball Registration and Official Practice Squads A, B, C and D
- 8/07/2014: PBA Spare Shots: Hall of Famer Jason Couch Wins PBA East “Super Regional”; Haggerty's Welcome Twin Bundles of Joy
- 8/07/2014: The Junior Gold Experience 5-Day Diary!
- 8/06/2014: Second Round 846 Series Catapults Weber Into PBA50 South Shore Open Lead; Jurek and Pedersen In Top-5
- 8/06/2014: 76th Bowlers Journal All-American Team presented by USBC
- 8/06/2014: Does Fear of Injury Keep You From the Gym?
- 8/06/2014: Thailand Event Will Finalize 2014 World Bowling Tour Rankings; Belmo Just 17 Points Off Lead, Kulick Has Comfortable Lead on Women's Side
- 8/06/2014: Hong Kong 2014 World Youth Championships Declared Open After Opening Ceremony
- 8/06/2014: Grand Strand Bowling For Vets: Combining Love of Bowling With Love of Country
- 8/05/2014: Harry Sullins Leads PBA50 South Shore Open First Round; Jurek, Weber and Pedersen in Top-10
- 8/05/2014: Entries Open August 15 for PBA World Series of Bowling VI, Will Include Traditional Animal Lane Patterns
- 8/05/2014: Bowling in NASCAR Spotlight at Pocono Raceway
- 8/05/2014: Junior Team USA Already Having Memorable Week in Hong Kong
- 8/05/2014: Scroggins Brothers Name Members of 10-Lefty Group for 2015 USBC Open Championships
- 8/04/2014: Learn More About Youth Education Services (YES) High School Grant Assistance Program
- 8/04/2014: World Youth Championships Begin this Week in Hong Kong
- 8/04/2014: Storm Products Is New Presenting Sponsor of Junior Gold Championships
- 8/03/2014: Luci Bonneau Memorial Striking Against Breast Cancer Mixed Doubles Tournament Results
- 8/03/2014: Storm Web Press Conference Tomorrow Regarding Youth Bowling
- 8/03/2014: USA Wins Three Team Titles at Tournament of the Americas; Tish Johnson, Steelsmith and Teel Take Home All Events Trophies
- 8/01/2014: Chicagoland Area to Host 2015 USBC Junior Gold Championships
- 8/01/2014: 11thframe.com Ball Review, Storm Optimus Quickly Becoming a Wildly Popular Arsenal Addition
- 8/01/2014: United States Dominates Mixed Doubles at Tournament of the Americas
- 8/01/2014: PBA Bowlers Supply East Open presented by Storm
- 8/01/2014: PBA Spare Shots: Regional Points Competition Races Heating Up, Carolyn Dorin-Ballard Becomes PBA50 Tour Eligible
- 8/01/2014: World Bowling Community Set to Grow as Digital Presence Expands