Bowling News USA - June 12, 2014 Williams Powers Into Top Qualifier Honors AT USBC Senior Masters, Weber Still in the Hunt
LAS VEGAS - After three rounds of qualifying at the 2014 United States Bowling Congress Senior Masters, Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla., earned top qualifier honors heading into match play.
The USBC Hall of Famer finished with a 15-game total of 3,553 (236.8 average) to lead a field of 310 of the top senior bowlers age 50 and older at South Point Bowling Center.
The top 64 players after qualifying advanced to the double-elimination match-play bracket, which begins at 8 a.m. Pacific Thursday live on BOWL.com's BowlTV. The event concludes with the stepladder finals live on BowlTV on Friday at 3 p.m. Pacific.
Williams put together a huge third round to vault past Brian Voss of Centennial, Colo., who had lead after the first two rounds. Williams fired 1,245 for five games Wednesday after shooting 1,149 in the opening round and 1,159 in the second round.
"I've been sick for a couple days now, and normally when I have a cold it doesn't affect my bowling very much, so hopefully I don't feel worse tomorrow," Williams said. "Once I get going, I loosen up and it's not so bad. Hopefully, I can continue bowling well."
Voss, who competed on the final squad of the day, had a chance to stay ahead of Williams in the final frame. Needing a double to lock up top qualifier honors, Voss left a split that dropped him down to third with 3,534.
Jack Jurek of Lackawanna, N.Y., qualified second with 3,540. Super Senior Jim Starks of San Bernardino, Calif., took the fourth position with 3,445.
Defending champion Pete Weber of St. Ann, Mo., who was guaranteed a spot in match play regardless of where he finished, ended up taking the No. 5 seed for match play. He finished qualifying with 3,432.
The final spot in match play went to Steve Anderson of Colorado Springs, Colo., who qualified in 64th position with 3,160.
The players are battling for a piece of the $144,400 prize fund, which includes a first-place prize of $18,000.
All rounds of the Senior Masters are being broadcast live on BOWL.com's BowlTV. For more information on the event, visit BOWL.com/SeniorMasters.
United States Bowling Congress
The United States Bowling Congress serves as the national governing body for the sport. USBC is a membership organization that provides standardized rules, regulations and benefits to make bowling fair and fun for everyone.
The interactive home of USBC is BOWL.com. Go to twitter.com/USBC for the fastest USBC headlines.
2014 USBC SENIOR MASTERS
At South Point Bowling Center, Las Vegas Wednesday's Results
ROUND 3 QUALIFYING - (15 games)
1, Walter Ray Williams Jr, Ocala, Fla., 3,553.
- 6/30/2014: Bill Chrisman and Dave Symes Recognized By All-Navy Bowling Program
- 6/30/2014: Belmo Makes Stepladder Finals for PBA King of the Swing Finale, Tomorrow on CBS Sports Network
- 6/30/2014: Fagan Claims PBA Secoma Lanes Northwest-West Open Trophy
- 6/30/2014: Hamilton Leads After Two Rounds at 2014 Queens With Kulick, Dorin-Ballard and Asbaty In Top 10
- 6/29/2014: Martin Larsen Defeats Fellow Storm Staffer Dom Barrett At II Brunswick Madrid Challenge, to Win 8th EBT Title
- 6/27/2014: Zavjalova Prepped for Queens Title Defense, Major Kicks-Off Tomorrow In Reno
- 6/25/2014: Storm Products Rolls Out Five New Roto Grip Balls Today In Orlando
- 6/25/2014: Kegel's Cross Receives JARYSZAK LANEMAN AWARD
- 6/25/2014: PBA Creates New Women’s Regional Tour Program; Six Points Leaders to Advance to PBA World Series VI
- 6/25/2014: Belmonte, Malott, Rash, Weber Nominated for “Best Bowler” ESPY - Voting is Underway
- 6/25/2014: Belmonte Conquers Challenging Conditions, Topples Tackett Again to Win PBA Oklahoma Open
- 6/24/2014: PBA Oklahoma Open Finals Tonight on CBS Sports Network, Belmo and Loschetter Make Stepladder Finals
- 6/24/2014: Oklahoma Team Shatters Record at USBC Open, Storm Staffer McMartin Part of History-making Performance
- 6/23/2014: Chad Murphy Officially Named USBC Executive Director
- 6/21/2014: Indiana Team Rolls Highest Game In USBC Open Championships History, Led By Storm's Terry Rohrer
- 6/20/2014: Washington State Bowler Perfect at 2014 Women's Championships, Congratulations Anna Green From Storm Products!
- 6/20/2014: Liz Johnson 2014 National Polish-American Sports HOF "Excellence in Sports Award" Recipient
- 6/19/2014: Tom Baker Wins PBA50 Northern California Classic For 11th Career PBA50 Tour Title, Using New Storm Optimus
- 6/19/2014: Storm, UBA Relationship Continues to Grow - Next Up Unholy Alliance III Mixed Trios Tournament June 28 & 29
- 6/18/2014: UAB Bowling Adds Pair For 2014-15 Season
- 6/18/2014: 19th Annual International Bowl Expo Now Just Seven Days Away
- 6/18/2014: Two-time PBA50 Player of the Year Ron Mohr Tops Qualifying After Northern California Classic Second Round
- 6/18/2014: Bill O’Neill Doubles in 10th, Derails Brian Valenta’s Title Hopes in PBA Badger Open
- 6/17/2014: 2014 TAT Summer Classic Presented By Storm
- 6/17/2014: Tom Baker Averages 246.6 to Lead PBA50 Northern California Classic First Round
- 6/17/2014: PBA Tour Badger Open Finals Tonight on CBS Sports Network, Weber and Kent Make Stepladder Finals
- 6/16/2014: PBA50 Tour Northern California Classic - Roto Grip's Ron Mohr Leads Qualifying After Eight Games
- 6/16/2014: Shafer Champions PBA Howell Lanes East Open Title
- 6/14/2014: Walter Ray to Try for Third Consecutive PBA50 Northern California Classic Title, Weber and Baker Among Participants
- 6/14/2014: Walter Ray Wins USBC Senior Masters for First PBA50 Major Title
- 6/13/2014: Two-Time PBA National Tour Champion and Storm Athlete Jack Jurek Sits Atop USBC Senior Masters Match Play Finals
- 6/13/2014: Twelve Bowlers Still In Contention at USBC Senior Masters
- 6/12/2014: Williams Powers Into Top Qualifier Honors AT USBC Senior Masters, Weber Still in the Hunt
- 6/11/2014: Voss Continues to Lead at USBC Senior Masters, Weber Drafting Closely Behind
- 6/11/2014: Indiana’s Ronnie Russell Wins First PBA Tour Title on U.S. Soil in PBA Bear Open
- 6/10/2014: 2015 USBC QUEENS Shifts To May With Live ESPN2 Finals, Barette-Hulsenberg Reflects On Major
- 6/10/2014: Voss On Top at USBC Senior Masters After Round 1
- 6/09/2014: Winner of Storm Byte Contest Visits ITRC
- 6/09/2014: Reducing Muscle Tension with Foam Rolling
- 6/09/2014: Rhino Makes PBA Bear Open Finals Stepladder, Tune In Tomorrow On CBS Sports Network
- 6/09/2014: Sin Li Jane Retains Singapore Open Title, Backing Up Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge Win
- 6/09/2014: Storm Products' 3rd Annual Wounded Warrior Event At Bethesda Naval Hospital Bowling Center
- 6/08/2014: Shayna Ng Crowned Singapore Sportswoman of the Year
- 6/07/2014: Duke Edges Out Weber To Win PBA50 Senior US Open, First Player To Champion Both Open Titles
- 6/06/2014: PBA50 Senior US Open: Four Hall of Fame Finalists Including Storm Staffers Norm Duke and Pete Weber
- 6/06/2014: Duke Posts 14-2 Match Play Record to Surge into Suncoast PBA Senior U.S. Open Lead After Sixth Round
- 6/06/2014: Weber, Duke Leading Pack Chased by 3 Other Hall of Famers With Baker and Jurek On Their Heels
- 6/06/2014: Weber Leads Group of Hall of Famers in Top Five After Fifth Round of Suncoast PBA Senior U.S. Open
- 6/05/2014: Junior Gold Program Sets Membership Record
- 6/05/2014: Storm Agrees To Become Team England Sponsor
- 6/05/2014: Johnson Defeats Jensen to Win Second EBT Title in Odense, Denmark
- 6/04/2014: Weber Looks To Win Second Straight SENIOR MASTERS Title
- 6/04/2014: Double Joy for Sarawak with Masters Sweep for Storm and Roto Grip
- 6/04/2014: Storm, AWBA Partner For 53rd National Championship Tournament
- 6/03/2014: USA Bowling To Hold Eight Regional Events For Youth Teams
- 6/02/2014: Bill Spigner Joins Team Storm
- 6/02/2014: TNBA CELEBRATES 75TH ANNIVERSARY
- 6/02/2014: Storm Products Making Major Announcements at 19th Annual International Bowl Expo