Bowling News USA - June 11, 2014 Voss Continues to Lead at USBC Senior Masters, Weber Drafting Closely Behind
LAS VEGAS, NV - Brian Voss of Centennial, Colo., maintained his lead after two rounds of qualifying at the 2014 United States Bowling Congress Senior Masters but defending champion Pete Weber of St. Ann, Mo., is lurking close behind.
Voss, a USBC Hall of Famer, popped a 298 game in Tuesday's second round and now leads with a 10-game total of 2,382 (238.2 average) at South Point Bowling Center. He is on top of a field of 310 of the top senior bowlers age 50 and older.
"I'm just bowling really well right now," Voss said. "I'm able to play straight when I have to, and I'm able to hook it when I have to. I'm pretty confident with a lot of aspects of my game right now."
Voss fired 1,207 in Monday's opening round and followed it up with 1,175 in the second round. He had games of 232, 208, 206, 298 and 231 on Tuesday. He started with 11 consecutive strikes in Game 4 before leaving the 6-10 on his final shot.
Just 25 pins off the lead is the defending champion Weber, who put together a huge second round. After opening the tournament with 1,144, Weber fired 1,213 in Round 2 to make a move up the leaderboard.
Jeff Prein of Stoughton, Wis., occupies the third position with 2,325, while Barry Zimmerman of Grand Forks, N.D., is fourth with 2,323. Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla., moved up to fifth place with 2,308.
All participants will bowl 15 games of qualifying before the cut is made to the double-elimination match-play bracket. The top 63 players plus defending champion Weber will take part in bracket play beginning Thursday morning.
The players are battling for a piece of the $144,400 prize fund. First place in the event pays $18,000.
All rounds of the Senior Masters are being broadcast live on BOWL.com's BowlTV. For more information on the event, visit BOWL.com/SeniorMasters.
United States Bowling Congress
The United States Bowling Congress serves as the national governing body for the sport. USBC is a membership organization that provides standardized rules, regulations and benefits to make bowling fair and fun for everyone.
The interactive home of USBC is BOWL.com. Go to twitter.com/USBC for the fastest USBC headlines.
2014 USBC SENIOR MASTERS
At South Point Bowling Center, Las Vegas Tuesday's Results
ROUND 2 QUALIFYING - Five Games
- 6/30/2014: Bill Chrisman and Dave Symes Recognized By All-Navy Bowling Program
- 6/30/2014: Belmo Makes Stepladder Finals for PBA King of the Swing Finale, Tomorrow on CBS Sports Network
- 6/30/2014: Fagan Claims PBA Secoma Lanes Northwest-West Open Trophy
- 6/30/2014: Hamilton Leads After Two Rounds at 2014 Queens With Kulick, Dorin-Ballard and Asbaty In Top 10
- 6/29/2014: Martin Larsen Defeats Fellow Storm Staffer Dom Barrett At II Brunswick Madrid Challenge, to Win 8th EBT Title
- 6/27/2014: Zavjalova Prepped for Queens Title Defense, Major Kicks-Off Tomorrow In Reno
- 6/25/2014: Storm Products Rolls Out Five New Roto Grip Balls Today In Orlando
- 6/25/2014: Kegel's Cross Receives JARYSZAK LANEMAN AWARD
- 6/25/2014: PBA Creates New Women’s Regional Tour Program; Six Points Leaders to Advance to PBA World Series VI
- 6/25/2014: Belmonte, Malott, Rash, Weber Nominated for “Best Bowler” ESPY - Voting is Underway
- 6/25/2014: Belmonte Conquers Challenging Conditions, Topples Tackett Again to Win PBA Oklahoma Open
- 6/24/2014: PBA Oklahoma Open Finals Tonight on CBS Sports Network, Belmo and Loschetter Make Stepladder Finals
- 6/24/2014: Oklahoma Team Shatters Record at USBC Open, Storm Staffer McMartin Part of History-making Performance
- 6/23/2014: Chad Murphy Officially Named USBC Executive Director
- 6/21/2014: Indiana Team Rolls Highest Game In USBC Open Championships History, Led By Storm's Terry Rohrer
- 6/20/2014: Washington State Bowler Perfect at 2014 Women's Championships, Congratulations Anna Green From Storm Products!
- 6/20/2014: Liz Johnson 2014 National Polish-American Sports HOF "Excellence in Sports Award" Recipient
- 6/19/2014: Tom Baker Wins PBA50 Northern California Classic For 11th Career PBA50 Tour Title, Using New Storm Optimus
- 6/19/2014: Storm, UBA Relationship Continues to Grow - Next Up Unholy Alliance III Mixed Trios Tournament June 28 & 29
- 6/18/2014: UAB Bowling Adds Pair For 2014-15 Season
- 6/18/2014: 19th Annual International Bowl Expo Now Just Seven Days Away
- 6/18/2014: Two-time PBA50 Player of the Year Ron Mohr Tops Qualifying After Northern California Classic Second Round
- 6/18/2014: Bill O’Neill Doubles in 10th, Derails Brian Valenta’s Title Hopes in PBA Badger Open
- 6/17/2014: 2014 TAT Summer Classic Presented By Storm
- 6/17/2014: Tom Baker Averages 246.6 to Lead PBA50 Northern California Classic First Round
- 6/17/2014: PBA Tour Badger Open Finals Tonight on CBS Sports Network, Weber and Kent Make Stepladder Finals
- 6/16/2014: PBA50 Tour Northern California Classic - Roto Grip's Ron Mohr Leads Qualifying After Eight Games
- 6/16/2014: Shafer Champions PBA Howell Lanes East Open Title
- 6/14/2014: Walter Ray to Try for Third Consecutive PBA50 Northern California Classic Title, Weber and Baker Among Participants
- 6/14/2014: Walter Ray Wins USBC Senior Masters for First PBA50 Major Title
- 6/13/2014: Two-Time PBA National Tour Champion and Storm Athlete Jack Jurek Sits Atop USBC Senior Masters Match Play Finals
- 6/13/2014: Twelve Bowlers Still In Contention at USBC Senior Masters
- 6/12/2014: Williams Powers Into Top Qualifier Honors AT USBC Senior Masters, Weber Still in the Hunt
- 6/11/2014: Voss Continues to Lead at USBC Senior Masters, Weber Drafting Closely Behind
- 6/11/2014: Indiana’s Ronnie Russell Wins First PBA Tour Title on U.S. Soil in PBA Bear Open
- 6/10/2014: 2015 USBC QUEENS Shifts To May With Live ESPN2 Finals, Barette-Hulsenberg Reflects On Major
- 6/10/2014: Voss On Top at USBC Senior Masters After Round 1
- 6/09/2014: Winner of Storm Byte Contest Visits ITRC
- 6/09/2014: Reducing Muscle Tension with Foam Rolling
- 6/09/2014: Rhino Makes PBA Bear Open Finals Stepladder, Tune In Tomorrow On CBS Sports Network
- 6/09/2014: Sin Li Jane Retains Singapore Open Title, Backing Up Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge Win
- 6/09/2014: Storm Products' 3rd Annual Wounded Warrior Event At Bethesda Naval Hospital Bowling Center
- 6/08/2014: Shayna Ng Crowned Singapore Sportswoman of the Year
- 6/07/2014: Duke Edges Out Weber To Win PBA50 Senior US Open, First Player To Champion Both Open Titles
- 6/06/2014: PBA50 Senior US Open: Four Hall of Fame Finalists Including Storm Staffers Norm Duke and Pete Weber
- 6/06/2014: Duke Posts 14-2 Match Play Record to Surge into Suncoast PBA Senior U.S. Open Lead After Sixth Round
- 6/06/2014: Weber, Duke Leading Pack Chased by 3 Other Hall of Famers With Baker and Jurek On Their Heels
- 6/06/2014: Weber Leads Group of Hall of Famers in Top Five After Fifth Round of Suncoast PBA Senior U.S. Open
- 6/05/2014: Junior Gold Program Sets Membership Record
- 6/05/2014: Storm Agrees To Become Team England Sponsor
- 6/05/2014: Johnson Defeats Jensen to Win Second EBT Title in Odense, Denmark
- 6/04/2014: Weber Looks To Win Second Straight SENIOR MASTERS Title
- 6/04/2014: Double Joy for Sarawak with Masters Sweep for Storm and Roto Grip
- 6/04/2014: Storm, AWBA Partner For 53rd National Championship Tournament
- 6/03/2014: USA Bowling To Hold Eight Regional Events For Youth Teams
- 6/02/2014: Bill Spigner Joins Team Storm
- 6/02/2014: TNBA CELEBRATES 75TH ANNIVERSARY
- 6/02/2014: Storm Products Making Major Announcements at 19th Annual International Bowl Expo