Bowling News USA - March 26, 2014 Norm Enters The PBA50 Ring...
The PBA50 Tour will make its 2014 debut April 12-15 when Lane Glo Bowl hosts the Pasco County Open in New Port Richey, Fla. Among the field of 100-or-so players will be another PBA Hall of Famer making his PBA50 debut.
Storm star Norm Duke of Clermont, Fla., turned 50 on Tuesday. Duke, who still holds the PBA record as the youngest player ever to win a PBA Tour title, will join the ranks of 50-and-older players 31 years after that memorable event. Duke was 18 years and 345 days old when he defeated Tom Milton of St. Petersburg, Fla., 238-204, to win the 1983 Cleveland Open.
Duke, who is tied for third place on the all-time PBA Tour titles list with fellow PBA Hall of Famer Pete Weber – last year’s PBA50 Rookie of the Year – is eligible for PBA50 competition in 2014 along with 33-time PBA Tour winner and hall of famer Parker Bohn III (who turned 50 last July, at the close of the 2013 season), along with PBA Tour titlists Dave Arnold (New Year’s Day), twin brothers Mike and Mark Scroggins (March 12) andRick Steelsmith (June 1).
Duke wasn’t sure if he wanted to bowl on the so-called senior tour or not, but as his 50th birthday grew closer, he examined his options more closely and decided he should participate.
“I polled some of my close friends and they all told me I’d be missing the boat if I didn’t bowl,” he said. “Not only will my fans want to see me compete, but maybe I can do some good for the senior tour. Look at what Pete (Weber) has done, and Walter Ray (Williams Jr.) and Mark Roth and Earl Anthony before him. It began to make sense, and Storm – my ball sponsor – also wanted me to be there.
“That’s what I needed to hear,” he continued. “If my sponsors think it’s important, it’s important to me. My career goal, from the very beginning, was to bowl against the very best in the world and beat them, but when you look at it from the viewpoint of what your sponsors want, it’s a whole different landscape.”
But Duke said he isn’t going to approach the PBA50 Tour as a leisurely hobby.
“I’m going to be prepared. I’m not going to approach this like it’s retirement,” he said. “It’s something I’ll take very seriously. I’m not going just to play; I’m going to compete.
“I thought about Pete and Walter Ray and Amleto (Monacelli) – guys who were the heroes while we were all bowling on the PBA Tour – I don’t remember bowling in events when those guys weren’t my competition. So I want to go out there on the PBA50 Tour and equal or exceed what they’ve already done. It’s like starting my quest all over.”
Duke said his current plan is to bowl the first three PBA50 Tour events in Florida and North Carolina, plus the PBA Senior U.S. Open and USBC Senior Masters in Las Vegas in June. At that point he’ll re-assess his plans for the duration of the PBA50 Tour’s 12-event 2014 schedule.
XTRA FRAME GEARS UP FOR PBA50 TOUR COVERAGE
The PBA50 Pasco County Open from Lane Glo Bowl in New Port Richey, Fla., will be the first of several PBA50 Tour events covered live on PBA’s exclusive online bowling channel, Xtra Frame. Start-to-finish coverage of the Pasco County event (won last year by Bob Learn Jr.) begins with qualifying rounds on Sunday, April 13, and continues through the match play eliminations on Tuesday, April 15.
To subscribe to Xtra Frame, visit pba.com and click on the Xtra Frame link. Monthly subscriptions are $7.99; a full year of Xtra Frame coverage, which includes access to a huge archive of past telecasts, interviews and instructional materials, is available for $64.99.
- 3/27/2014: Kloempken Snaps Off The Ringin' Ten Classic For Third Time...
- 3/27/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show
- 3/26/2014: Norm Enters The PBA50 Ring...
- 3/25/2014: Lindsay's Excellent Adventures
- 3/23/2014: Hitmen Advance in PBA League Action
- 3/23/2014: Storm's Marshall Kent Breaks Thru in Munich...Losch Third
- 3/21/2014: PBA Summer Swing Dates Announced
- 3/20/2014: Sharon Powers To 24th Annual Golden Ladies Classic Tournament Win!
- 3/19/2014: Zero Gravity Featuring The Storm Nation!
- 3/19/2014: Storm Products Inc. Crash The Leaderboard in Reno...
- 3/18/2014: PBA League Action, Sunday on ESPN
- 3/17/2014: 'Coach K' Back From Successful Visit to Singapore...
- 3/17/2014: Storm's Tim Mack Leads Squad at 2014 Brunswick Euro Challenge
- 3/14/2014: Thomas Larsen Wins 11th Kuwait International Open
- 3/14/2014: Ryan Shafer, Jeff Carter Join the 'Bus' in Fundraiser...
- 3/13/2014: South-West Florida Classic Youth Eliminator Results
- 3/12/2014: A Rash, Belmonte Showdown Brewing in Kuwait
- 3/10/2014: Curtis Odom Vaults to Open Championships All Events Lead with IQ Tour Fusion
- 3/07/2014: UAE's Shaker Al Hassan Wins 12th Kingdom of Bahrain International Open with IQ Tour!
- 3/06/2014: A Look Back at Belmo's Masters Win
- 3/05/2014: Chuck Groat Wins Border War XV
- 3/04/2014: The Storm Zero Gravity is Available Today!
- 3/03/2014: Fitness For Bowling Blog with Heather D’Errico-CSCS, CPT, Fitness Specialist
- 3/01/2014: USBC Open Championships Begin in Reno...