Bowling News USA - December 26, 2013 Liz Johnson Over Wes Malott at 53rd Annual Beat The Champs.
Storm's Liz Johnson appreciated setting the target scores for Beat the Champions for her third time.
She rolled a three-game 678 in setting the women’s targets for the 53rd BTC at Suburbanite Bowl in Westmont. That topped by four pins the 674 put up by Roto Grip's Wes Malott for the men’s target.
That made it three times in a row that Johnson has beaten Malott in televised head-to-head competition. The last time was at the U.S. Open in the first “Battle of the Sexes.’’ The U.S. Open champions are invited to set the targets for BTC.
“I appreciate it more, the more times I have done it. Appreciate Beat the Champs for [being here] 53 years,’’ Johnson said. “Appreciation that the bowlers in the area and the association have a love of the sport. I love this sport and the fun of it.’’
She should have had fun. She opened with a pair of 237 games, while Malott scuffled with games of 192 and 203.
“Obviously, the other ones weren’t going to get it done,’’ he said. “If I missed right, it won’t hook. If I missed left, it overhooked. So I knew there was a little tube there. I knew that is where I needed to be.
“If I had a chance out there, it was going to be the ball.’’
The ball switch made all the difference. Malott opened the third game with three strikes and closed with eight for a 279. Johnson, meanwhile, rolled her low game of 204.
“It started carrying down, especially on the left lane,’’ Johnson said. “It got a little wet dry.’’
Both bowlers plainly understood the true nature of BTC as a charity bowling event. In the first 52 years that the Chicagoland Bowling Proprietors Association and the Sun-Times co-sponsored BTC, 5,681,134 entries raised $2,776,374.70 for charity.
“As much as it was me vs. Liz or Liz vs. me, that isn’t why we are really here,’’ Malott said. “But, obviously, that is going to be there.
“I just wanted to put some pressure on her. It is a fun match between us.’’
BY DALE BOWMAN For Sun-Times Media December 25, 2013
- 12/29/2013: Dom Barrett Wins PBA World Championship with the BYTE!
- 12/27/2013: Friday Fun Day - How To Pick Up The 7 - 10...
- 12/26/2013: Liz Johnson Over Wes Malott at 53rd Annual Beat The Champs.
- 12/24/2013: Storm WSOB V Post Game Shows - 2013 PBA World Championship
- 12/23/2013: Storm Young Gun Marshall Kent Impresses Bowling World at PBA Scorpion Championship...
- 12/20/2013: Friday Fun Day - The Infamous Backward Bowler!
- 12/18/2013: The Best Balls Make The Perfect Gifts!
- 12/17/2013: Storm's PJ Haggerty Knocks Off 7th PBA Regional Title in Reno!
- 12/17/2013: Storm's Marshall Kent, Hall of Famer Bob Hart on Storm WSOB V Post Game Show!
- 12/17/2013: Storm's Eric Forkel Rolls To 14th SNBT Title...
- 12/17/2013: Jones Wins 7th Kingdom International Open in Saudi Arabia
- 12/15/2013: In The Bag - 2013 PBA Chameleon Championship
- 12/10/2013: This Just In - Storm's Dom Barrett Wins Third PBA Title in Qatar...
- 12/10/2013: Chuck Groat Wins Grand Finals on Storm Northwest Tour
- 12/09/2013: Tune into ESPN Sunday for Chameleon Championship...Post Game with Brian Kretzer, Dom Barrett!
- 12/08/2013: In The Bag - 2013 PBA Viper Championship
- 12/07/2013: Thomas Larsen Wins First PBA Title in Abu Dhabi...Dom, Osku, Fourth, Fifth
- 12/03/2013: Catch Belmo. Stu Williams on ESPN Sunday!
- 12/01/2013: Malott Marches To 2013 PBA Cheetah Championship Victory