Bowling News USA - October 29, 2013 Dom Barrett, Brian Kretzer Make The Show at Chameleon Championship
(Dom Barrett, Brian Kretzer, Ryan Ciminelli, Tom Smallwood)
Storm's Dom Barrett advanced from sixth place to first Monday night, claiming the No. 1 berth in the Professional Bowlers Association’s Chameleon Championship stepladder finals at South Point Bowling Center, the third of five events that compose the PBA World Series of Bowling V.
Barrett, who won his only PBA Tour title in the 2011 Scorpion Championship, will lead a field of four into the Chameleon Championship finals on Saturday, Nov. 2. ESPN will air the finals on Sunday, Dec. 15, at 1 p.m. ET. Also winning berths in the championship round were Roto Grip's Brian Kretzer of Dayton, Ohio; Ryan Ciminelli of Cheektowaga, N.Y., and 2010 PBA World Champion Tom Smallwood of Saginaw, Mich.
It was the third WSOB tournament in a row that a Storm and Roto Grip Staffer made an ESPN final.
Monday night's Storm WSOB V Post Game Show was broadcast live from South Point. Host Mike Flanagan was joined by Storm's Jim Callahan, Louie Wemett and PBA Champion Jack Jurek. Storm National Tour Representative Del Ballard, Kretzer and Barrett also were featured.
Barrett went with a Storm Crossroad™ and Roto Grip Wrecker™. Kretzer used a Hy-Road™ on Monday night.
Barrett rolled the only 300 game in the semifinal round Monday night, finishing with a 14-game total of 3,246 pins to win the top seat in the stepladder finals by 13 pins over Kretzer, who also is a one-time PBA Tour title winner. Ciminelli, who earned the top berth in the Viper Championship presented by PBA Bowling Challenge Sunday night, is the first player in World Series V to qualify for two telecasts. Smallwood won the fourth spot by four pins over Patrick Allen of Wesley Chapel, Fla., who earlier in the round called a foul on himself, costing him a place in the stepladder finals.
“It was a great run, perfect, couldn’t have worked out better,” Barrett said. “I won my title on the old Scorpion pattern, which is very similar to the new Chameleon lane condition, and it really matched up well to my game. I used the knowledge I’ve gotten from bowling in this center before and it helped me a lot.
“I’m over the moon,” he said with a grin. “I’ve bowled the best this week that I’ve ever bowled in my life, and this is the World Series, the biggest event there is. I had a couple of down moments in (the Viper Championship semifinal round) last night, but I went to bed, thought about it and woke up with a new attitude.”
Barrett went into the Viper semifinal round Sunday night as the tournament leader, but fell to 13th place by the end of the round.
Earlier Monday, the field of 235 players completed the third of four qualifying rounds for the PBA World Championship. The combined seven-game qualifying scores from the four animal pattern tournaments – Cheetah, Viper, Chameleon and Tuesday’s Scorpion Championship – will determine the top 24 players who will advance to World Championship round-robin match play on Wednesday and Thursday. After the Chameleon round, Barrett led World Championship qualifying with 5,046 pins, followed by Wes Malott of Pflugerville, Texas, with a 4,905 total and Jason Belmonte of Australia in third place with 4,836 pins.
All qualifying rounds from the World Series are being covered live on PBA’s Xtra Frame online bowling channel, and via “live scoring” on pba.com. For daily, monthly or yearly subscriptions to Xtra Frame, click on the Xtra Frame link on the pba.com home page. Tuesday’s schedule includes Scorpion Championship qualifying squads at 8 a.m. and 2 p.m PT, and the top 24 semifinal round starting at 7:30 p.m.
PBA CHAMELEON CHAMPIONSHIP
South Point Bowling Center, Las Vegas, Monday
FIRST ROUND STANDINGS (after 7 games, top 24 advance to semifinal round)
1, Dom Barrett, England, 3,246.
2, Brian Kretzer, Dayton, Ohio, 3,233.
3, Ryan Ciminelli, Cheektowaga, N.Y., 3,211.
4, Tom Smallwood, Saginaw, Mich., 3,198.
5, Patrick Allen, Wesley Chapel, Fla., 3,194, $4,000.
6, Sean Rash, Montgomery, Ill., 3,171, $3,500.
7, Tom Daugherty, Wesley Chapel, Fla., 3,154, $3,000.
8, Jake Peters, Decatur, Ill., 3,127, $2,500.
9, Bill O'Neill, Langhorne, Pa., 3,104, $2,200.
10, Todd Book, Russells Point, Ohio, 3,083, $2,000.
11, D.J. Archer, Friendswood, Texas, 3,064, $1,800.
12, Jason Belmonte, Australia, 3,061, $1,700.
13, Johnathan Bower, Middletown, Pa., 3,051, $1,650.
14, Bryon Smith, Roseburg, Ore., 3,042, $1,600.
15, Ronnie Russell, Marion, Ind., 3,018, $1,550.
16, Wes Malott, Pflugerville, Texas, 3,017, $1,500.
17, Jesse Buss, Belvidere, Ill., 3,008, $1,450.
18, Giorgio Clinaz Jr., Venezuela, 3,004, $1,400.
19, Carsten Hansen, Denmark, 2,978, $1,350.
20, Alan Mojado, Pala, Calif., 2,973, $1,300.
21, Martin Larsen, Sweden, 2,972, $1,275.
22, Michael Machuga, Erie, Pa., 2,958, $1,250.
23, Shawn Maldonado, Houston, 2,902, $1,225.
24, Paul Moor, England, 2,869, $1,200.
- 10/31/2013: Barrett, Fagan and Weber Will Represent Storm Nation in PBA World Championship Final
- 10/31/2013: Storm's Dom Barrett, Mike Fagan Making Run at PBA World Championship
- 10/30/2013: Lucy Sandelin Marches To Senior Queens Title...
- 10/30/2013: Storm Young Gun Marshall Kent Leads PBA Scorpion Championship....
- 10/29/2013: 2013 ABT Fall Nationals Finals Presented by Storm
- 10/29/2013: Tony Guarino, "Storm's Biggest Fan", Passes Away at 49.
- 10/29/2013: Storm's Tish Johnson Closes in on Senior Queens Title
- 10/29/2013: Storm/Roto Grip Staffers Atop PBA World Championship Leaderboard
- 10/29/2013: Dom Barrett, Brian Kretzer Make The Show at Chameleon Championship
- 10/27/2013: Stu Williams, Belmo Make ESPN Finals on Viper
- 10/27/2013: Anne Marie Duggan Leads USBC Senior Queens Presented by Storm Products...
- 10/27/2013: Storm World Series of Bowling V Post Game Show Debuts From Las Vegas...Showtime for PDW, Malott
- 10/26/2013: 'The World' Over USA in PBA World Series of Bowling V Opener
- 10/24/2013: PBA World Series of Bowling V Set To Begin Friday in Las Vegas
- 10/24/2013: USBC Senior Queens, Presented by Storm, Ready To Roll in Texas...
- 10/23/2013: Storm Byte and Reign On Give Away Winner's Announced
- 10/22/2013: BYTE™, Reign On™, Hit Pro Shop Shelves Today!
- 10/18/2013: Storm World Series of Bowling Post Game Show Debuts October 26th From Las Vegas
- 10/14/2013: Pete Weber Wins 87th Career PBA Title
- 10/14/2013: Europe Over USA at Weber Cup
- 10/13/2013: World Series of Bowling V Ready To Roll at South Point
- 10/12/2013: 'Double D' Dave D’Entremont Passes Away at 52...
- 10/11/2013: Friday Fun Day - Kids on Bowling
- 10/10/2013: Above180.com Norm Duke Interview
- 10/08/2013: Duane Kilts Delivers at Greater Iowa Event
- 10/08/2013: Koivuniemi Wins Columbia 300 Vienna Open...
- 10/05/2013: American Hero
- 10/04/2013: Friday Fun Day - The Fortress
- 10/02/2013: Ranta, Larsen, Williams Power Roto Grip/Storm at EBT Masters
- 10/02/2013: Duke and Carter, Next Level in Wisconsin
- 10/02/2013: Ballards Continue to Squash 'Big C'
- 10/01/2013: Six Separate Qualifying Divisions for 2014 TAT!