Bowling News USA - July 25, 2013 Storm U.S Open Update - Round One Matchplay
Australia's Jason Belmonte has been the man to beat by a wide margin this week at the 2013 Lipton Bowling's U.S. Open, but along with the top seed for match play, his success also earned him a target on his back.
The two-hander's opponents struck early often during the first block of round-robin matches Thursday night at Wayne Webb's Columbus Bowl and out-averaged him 231-202, while cutting his lead from 449 pins to 172.
Belmonte went 3-5 in the opening round and leads with an 8,688 total for 38 games, which includes 30 bonus pins for each win. Pete Weber of St. Ann, Mo., and Wes Malott of Pflugerville, Texas, each posted 7-1 records and sit second and third, respectively, with 8,516 and 8,499. Team USA member Marshall Kent of Yakima, Wash., is fourth with 8,309.
"Heading into matchplay, I really liked our chances," said Storm National Tour Representative Del Ballard Jr. "We have the numbers, four out of the top five women and I can't even tell you how many of the top ten men. Our chances look good, but you know matchplay is a new day, a new tournament, and you've got to win matches."
'We've drilled so many Hy-Road Pearls, we have to get more sent in. That ball is the number one ball out here right now."
Defending champion Kelly Kulick of Union, N.J., and two-time U.S Women's Open winner Liz Johnson of Cheektowaga, N.Y., have split time at the top of the women's leaderboard all week, but after eight games of match play, Kulick is out front with an 8,221 total. Johnson is second with 8,157, Danielle McEwan of Stony Point, N.Y., is third with 8,033 and United States Bowling Congress Hall of Famer Leanne Hulsenberg of Roseville, Calif., is fourth with 7,839.
"The more they breakdown, the more they come to me, so knowing I've found something at the end of the last few blocks makes me feel good about finishing strong," said Kulick, who is looking for her fourth U.S. Women's Open crown. "Now, it's just about making the moves quicker and avoiding splits. The 30 bonus pins each game are so important. I just want to keep grinding and taking advantage of the pairs that will give me 240 but still get to 190-200 on the pairs that are tougher."
"I know each and every time I bowl a ladies event, it's Liz, it's Carolyn and Leanne, Lynda Barnes," said Storm's Kulick. "There are a few of us out here that seem to battle it out. I just try and focus on the process and if the process is good, the outcome will be good."
"Twenty-four games of matchplay, with the bonus pins anything can happen," said Storm's Liz Johnson. "Take one frame, one game at a time, make good shots, filling frames and hope for the best."
Belmonte, a seven-time Professional Bowlers Association Tour titlist, notched his first major win at the 2013 USBC Masters and was the runner-up at this year's PBA World Championship and Barbasol Tournament of Champions. He's looking to become the 11th player in PBA history to win two majors in the same season.
While his first match-play block was a struggle, Belmonte sees it more as motivation than defeat.
"My shot focus tonight was all over the place, while it's something I've been really good at the last couple of days," Belmonte said. "I'm just going to prepare better for tomorrow. I will get a good night's rest and come in more focused and disciplined."
Weber, who is the defending champion at the U.S. Open after winning the event for a record fifth time, also won the Tournament of Champions earlier this season. He is tied with the late Earl Anthony for the most major victories with 10, but he never has won two in the same year.
Match play will continue Friday with two more eight-game rounds at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. EDT, after which, the top four bowlers in each division will advance to the TV finals.
The combined events have a prize fund of more than $400,000 and will culminate with the live two-hour ESPN telecast on Saturday at noon EDT.
The men's and women's champions will face off in a special Battle of the Sexes match to crown the ultimate U.S. Open winner. The special match will be broadcast live on ESPN immediately following the men's and women's finals.
The 2013 Lipton Bowling's U.S. Open started with nearly 400 of the best men and women bowlers in the world, competing side by side (in separate events) at three Columbus-area bowling centers - Wayne Webb's Columbus Bowl, Columbus Western Bowl and Holiday Lanes.
It took an average of 207.57 to make match play on the men's side and 195.23 to make the cut in the women's division.
For more information on the U.S. Open, visit BowlingsUSOpen.com. Live streaming of qualifying and match play are being provided by the PBA's Xtra Frame service.
2013 Bowling's U.S. Open - MenMatch Play Round - 38 Games Completed
|Pos||Name||Hometown||W-L-T||Total||+/- 200||Pins Back||Average|
|2||Pete Weber||St. Ann, Mo.||7-1-0||8516||+916||-||218.58|
|3||Wes Malott||Pflugerville, Texas||7-1-0||8499||+899||-||218.13|
|4||Marshall Kent||Yakima, Wash.||6-2-0||8309||+709||-||213.92|
|6||Mike Fagan||Ft. Worth, Texas||5-3-0||8212||+612||-97||212.16|
|7||Sean Rash||Montgomery, Ill.||6-2-0||8200||+600||-109||211.05|
|8||Chris Loschetter||Avon, Ohio||5-3-0||8168||+568||-141||211.00|
|9||Adam Johnson||Oswego, Ill.||2-6-0||8116||+516||-193||212.00|
|10||Ryan Ciminelli||Cheektowaga, N.Y.||3-5-0||8114||+514||-195||211.16|
|11||Ronnie Russell||Marion, Ind.||4-4-0||8070||+470||-239||209.21|
|12||Jesse Buss||Belvidere, Ill.||6-2-0||8058||+458||-251||207.32|
|13||Brian LeClair||Albany, N.Y.||3-5-0||8030||+430||-279||208.95|
|14||E.J. Tackett||Huntington, Ind.||3-5-0||8029||+429||-280||208.92|
|15||Bill O'Neill||Langhorne, Pa.||3-5-0||8004||+404||-305||208.26|
|16||Connor Pickford||Charlotte, N.C.||2-6-0||7998||+398||-311||208.89|
|17||Brett Wolfe||Tempe, Ariz.||3-5-0||7982||+382||-327||207.68|
|18||Norm Duke||Clermont, Fla.||4-4-0||7975||+375||-334||206.71|
|18||Michael Snell||Plattsmouth, Neb.||5-3-0||7975||+375||-334||205.92|
|22||Ryan Shafer||Horseheads, N.Y.||3-5-0||7936||+336||-373||206.47|
|23||Mika Koivuniemi||Hartland, MI||3-5-0||7887||+287||-422||205.18|
|24||Tommy Jones||Simpsonville, S.C.||2-6-0||7882||+282||-427||205.84|
(* = Non-Member Bowler)
2013 Bowling's U.S. Open - WomenMatch Play Round 1 - 38 Games Completed
|Pos||Name||Hometown||W-L-T||Total||+/- 200||Pins Back||Average|
|1||Kelly Kulick||Union, N.J.||6-2-0||8221||+621||-||211.61|
|2||Liz Johnson||Cheektowaga, N.Y.||6-2-0||8157||+557||-||209.92|
|3||Danielle McEwan||Stony Point, N.Y.||4-4-0||8033||+433||-||208.24|
|4||Leanne Hulsenberg||Roseville, Calif.||4-4-0||7839||+239||-||203.13|
|5||Josie Earnest||Vandalia, Ill.||4-4-0||7835||+235||-4||203.03|
|6||Shannon Pluhowsky||Dayton, Ohio||4-4-0||7828||+228||-11||202.84|
|7||Jacqui Reese||Bangor, Pa.||6-2-0||7761||+161||-78||199.50|
|10||Stefanie Nation||Grand Prairie, Texas||4-4-0||7730||+130||-109||200.26|
|11||Shannon O'Keefe||Arlington, Texas||4-4-0||7716||+116||-123||199.89|
|14||Brenda Padilla||Mansfield, Texas||3-5-0||7652||+52||-187||199.00|
|14||Lynda Barnes||Double Oak, Texas||2-6-0||7652||+52||-187||199.79|
|16||Jodi Woessner||Oregon, Ohio||3-5-0||7622||+22||-217||198.21|
|17||Kim Yioulos||Rochester, N.Y.||4-4-0||7620||+20||-219||197.37|
|19||Lindsay Boomershine||Brigham City, Utah||4-4-0||7577||-23||-262||196.24|
|20||Kim Kearney||Grand Prairie, Texas||2-5-1||7570||-30||-269||197.24|
|21||Ashly Galante||Palm Harbor, Fla.||3-4-1||7528||-72||-311||195.34|
|22||Brittni Hamilton||Webster, N.Y.||4-4-0||7522||-78||-317||194.79|
|23||Carolyn Dorin-Ballard||Keller, Texas||3-5-0||7471||-129||-368||194.24|
|24||Brandi Branka||Momence, Ill.||4-4-0||7464||-136||-375||193.26|
(* = Non-Member Bowler)
- 7/31/2013: In The Bag - 2013 Lipton Bowling's Women's U.S Open
- 7/30/2013: Storm National Mixed Tournament Ready to Roll in Reno!
- 7/28/2013: U.S Open Title Matches, Bonus Coverage Here!
- 7/27/2013: Wes Malott, Liz Johnson Are U.S Open Champions
- 7/27/2013: U.S Open Finalists Introductions/Player Interviews!
- 7/26/2013: "One of The Greatest Weeks in Storm History"..."Epic Performance"..."Unbelievable"
- 7/26/2013: Historic Events Unfolding in Ohio...All Storm/Roto Grip Final at Open?
- 7/25/2013: Storm U.S Open Update - Round One Matchplay
- 7/25/2013: Storm U.S Open Update - Matchplay Fields Set
- 7/24/2013: Belmonte, Weber, Johnson and Kulick Prepare for Matchplay Showdowns at the Open
- 7/24/2013: Paula Vidad Wins Senior U.S Women's Open
- 7/23/2013: Belmonte, Weber, 'Storm Ladies' Dominating in Ohio...First Cut Wednesday...
- 7/23/2013: Lucy Sandelin Top Seed at 2013 Senior U.S. Women's Open
- 7/22/2013: Day One in The Books at The Open...Belmonte, Kulick Vault to Leads...Sandelin Tops Senior Women
- 7/22/2013: Wesley Low, Kamron Doyle Shine at Junior Gold Championships
- 7/22/2013: U.S Open Classic Moments - Dick Weber
- 7/19/2013: Friday Funday - Fagan Does Cartmen
- 7/18/2013: U.S Open Classic Moments - Pete Weber
- 7/18/2013: Weber Wins ESPY
- 7/17/2013: Brett Cooper Named Storm Midwest Regional Sales Manager
- 7/17/2013: Storm Stars Ready For Bowling's Biggest Stage
- 7/17/2013: Ken Yokobosky Growing The Sport!
- 7/16/2013: Hy-Road™ Pearl, Marvel-S™ Worldwide Release!
- 7/15/2013: 2013 ABT Summer Nationals Finals Broadcast Presented by Storm
- 7/14/2013: Martin Larsen Breaks Thru at Storm San Marino Open
- 7/13/2013: Kim Jun Yung Wins It’s Daejeon International Open...
- 7/11/2013: "The Chief" Brian Himmler Wins Storm Bowlers Journal Open Singles
- 7/10/2013: Duke Prevails in "The King of The Swing!"
- 7/09/2013: Duke Returns The Favor To Barnes...Storm/Roto Grip Dominates PBA Summer Swing...
- 7/09/2013: PJ Haggerty Wins 6th Regional Title
- 7/09/2013: 2013 TAT Winner Dave Guindon Interview
- 7/09/2013: JoJo Ortiz, $25,000 ABT Summer Nationals Winner!
- 7/07/2013: 2013 Open Championships Conclude in Reno...
- 7/07/2013: Live Broadcast of ABT Summer Nationals Finals From Las Vegas!
- 7/07/2013: Dave Guindon, $20,000 Winner of 2013 TAT Summer Classic
- 7/06/2013: TAT Live Streaming From Las Vegas Today! Finals on Tap Sunday!
- 7/05/2013: Duke, Belmonte Vye For GEICO PBA King of The Swing
- 7/05/2013: 2013 TAT Storm Challenge Results
- 7/04/2013: Kevin Gagnon of Norco, CA., Wins TAT Storm Challenge
- 7/04/2013: 2013 USBC Women's Championships Conclude in Reno
- 7/03/2013: Barry Gurney, First PBA Player To Use Storm Ball on National Telecast, Passes Away...
- 7/03/2013: Bill and Barbara Chrisman Receive John Davis Award
- 7/02/2013: Pete, Belmo Nominated For ESPY Award!
- 7/02/2013: Barnes Edges Duke in Summer Swing Thriller!
- 7/02/2013: 2013 True Amateur Tournament Broadcast Live From Las Vegas Now!
- 7/02/2013: Back To Back Regional Wins For Ryan Shafer...300 Game in Championship Match