Bowling News USA - May 6, 2013 Aguiar, LeClair Vault to Doubles Lead in Reno...
(Alex Aguiar, Brian LeClair)
Storm staffer Alex Aguiar of Dartmouth, Mass., and former Professional Bowlers Association exempt player Brian LeClair of Albany, N.Y., broke a long-standing tie atop the Regular Doubles leaderboard by posting a 1,422 total at the National Bowling Stadium on Saturday.
Aguiar paced the duo with a 780 series, while LeClair added 642. Joe Keltner and Chris Greene of Wichita, Kan., and Joe Conti Jr., of Liverpool, N.Y., and Derek Magno of Cicero, N.Y., previously held the top spot with 1,403.
Aguiar, a 33-year-old right-hander, stepped up in the final game with a chance to record the first 800 series of the 2013 USBC Open Championships, before a nine pin in the 10th frame ended his run.
"I just wanted to make a good shot and give our team a chance to pass that number," said Aguiar, who made his 16th Open Championships appearance. "We knew what the numbers were coming in, and I just wanted to give Brian a chance when he got up in the 10th frame. Luckily, the 9 pin didn't stop us from getting there. Brian threw great shots to get us there, too. It's a team effort. I don't look at it as though I bowled 780, I look at it as we bowled 1,422."
With the addition of fresh oil and a separate oil pattern for team and doubles/singles in 2013, both Aguiar and LeClair believed that working together and sticking to a game plan was crucial to their success. They also prepared by bowling a few sets at the Storm Bowlers Journal Championships, which features the same oil pattern.
"I think the biggest thing is having quality guys on your pair who know how to breakdown a lane the right way," said LeClair, a 48-year-old right-hander who owns 14 PBA regional titles and made his 17th Open Championships appearance. "That kept us in the right spot, and then I just fed off of Alex all day. I was just along for the ride."
Aguiar added 676 in team and 664 in singles to move into 10th in Regular All-Events with a 2,120 total, which is a career high at the event. LeClair added 708 in team and 675 in singles for 2,025.
Both bowlers know the significance of adding an Open Championships title to their resumes and would like nothing more than taking home their first eagles. Team USA member John Szczerbinski of North Tonawanda, N.Y., leads Regular All-Events with 2,228 and Regular Singles with 789.
"Winning an eagle is all I bowl for," said Aguiar, who won the 2011 Summer Mini-Eliminator. "I've competed at high levels and bowled Tour stops. There are two events in my life that I want to win - a USBC eagle and the U.S. Open. Those two tournaments are the Mecca of bowling, and if we find a way to hold onto this, it would mean everything.
"I would finally have my name on something," said LeClair, who has two second-place finishes on the PBA Tour. "I've been bowling for a long time. I bowled on the PBA Tour for a long time, and my name is second a lot. Hopefully I'll finally have my name on something."
Aguiar and LeClair also helped Pink Bowites of Oak Creek, Wis., move just outside the top 10 in Team All-Events this week with a 9,890 total. They were joined by Chris Bardol (1,964), PBA Hall of Famer Doug Kent (1,945) and Kenneth Muscato (1,836). Junior Team USA Support 1 of Mansfield, Texas, leads with 10,247.
- 5/30/2013: Weber, Duke and Fagan Will Try To Chase Down Barnes in Lucas Oil PBA Milwaukee Open Final
- 5/30/2013: Weber in Control at Lucas Oil PBA Milwaukee Open...Duke 4th with One Round of Matchplay To Go...
- 5/29/2013: Pete Weber Powers To The Top at Lucas Oil PBA Milwaukee Open
- 5/29/2013: Mike Fagan Leads Storm/Roto Grip Staffers at the Lucas Oil PBA Milwaukee Open
- 5/28/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Bear Open - Matchplay
- 5/28/2013: Weber Leads Storm Staffers at Lucas Oil PBA Bear Open
- 5/27/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Wolf Open Matchplay
- 5/24/2013: Duke, Weber 'Hungry Like The Wolf'.... Loschetter Leads with Storm!
- 5/24/2013: Free Agent Loschetter Rolls Lights Out™, IQ Tour To Lead on Wolf..
- 5/24/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Wolf Open
- 5/22/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open - Matchplay
- 5/21/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 5/21/2013: Andres Gomez Tops Storm/Roto Grip Staffers at Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 5/20/2013: Mike Fagan Leads Storm Staffers at PBA Summer Swing Opener
- 5/19/2013: Jason Belmonte, Pete Weber Battle for PBA Player of the Year at Summer Swing...
- 5/19/2013: Eric Tseng Over Sam Cooley at 10th Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge
- 5/17/2013: Randy Pedersen Powers To PBA50 Win...Three in a Row For Storm/Roto Grip
- 5/15/2013: Tish Johnson Reviews Freak'n Frantic™, Lights Out™, Super Natural™
- 5/14/2013: 2013 USBC Open Championships Leaderboard
- 5/09/2013: Mike Flanagan Named New Director of Marketing at Storm Products
- 5/06/2013: Aguiar, LeClair Vault to Doubles Lead in Reno...
- 5/06/2013: 6 Questions For Mike Fagan
- 5/03/2013: Joe Scarborough Reflects on "Golden" Performance
- 5/02/2013: Storm Staffer Rick Steelsmith USBC Hall of Famer!
- 5/02/2013: "King of Swing", Mike Fagan Joins Storm Staff of Champions
- 5/01/2013: USBC, SouthPoint Casino Strike Huge Vegas Deal