Bowling News USA - January 8, 2013 Storm/Roto Grip Dominate Team USA Trials...
John Szczerbinski of North Tonawanda, N.Y., and Danielle McEwan of Stony Point, N.Y., emerged as the champions Monday at the 2013 United States Bowling Congress Team USA Trials and will represent the United States at the QubicaAMF World Cup later this year.
Szczerbinski held on in a tight championship match, defeating defending champion Marshall Kent of Yakima, Wash., 218-211, while McEwan successfully defended her title with a 267-194 win over Diandra Asbaty of Chicago at Sunset Station's Strike Zone Bowling Center.
Storm National Tour Representative Del Ballard Jr., reports a clean sweep for Storm/Roto Grip.
"John used a Roto Grip Disturbed," said Ballard. "Marshall, Danielle and Diandra all threw Storm IQ Tours."
Kent had a chance to take the title and continue his reign as Team USA Trials champion but needing a double in the final frame, he left the 2-4-5 on his first shot to concede the title to Szczerbinski.
"My goal coming here this week was just to make Team USA again," said Szczerbinski, who earned his third term on Team USA. "Winning this tournament is just icing on the cake and being able to go to the World Cup? It's just hard to explain everything I'm feeling."
In the women's title match, McEwan rolled to her second consecutive title with ease, knocking off Asbaty, who earned a spot on Team USA for a record 15th time.
"It was such a long week, and I'm completely drained," said McEwan, who is now a two-time Team USA member. "I remember last year when I won, it really didn't sink in until I got back to the hotel room, and I think that's happening again. It's just an amazing feeling."
In the semifinals, Kent took down John Janawicz of Winter Haven, Fla., 257-196, while McEwan defeated Josie Earnest of Nashville, Tenn., 199-181.
All of the players who advanced to the stepladder finals earned automatic spots on Team USA in 2013 by surviving a grueling five-day, 30-game format that awarded points based on the position they finished in each day.
The National Selection Committee also announced the remainder of the Team USA roster, which was made up of two men and two women based on their performance at the Team USA Trials and five men and five women who met eligibility requirements and submitted resumes for consideration.
The men's selections based on resumes Chris Barnes, Bill O'Neill, Tommy Jones, Mike Fagan and Steve Smith, while Eddie VanDaniker and Kyle King were selected based on their Trials performance. Joining the women's team as selections from resumes were Liz Johnson, Kelly Kulick, Shannon O'Keefe, Stefanie Nation, Shannon Pluhowsky, while Brittni Hamilton and Missy Parkin were picked based on Trials performance.
There were also four spots on Junior Team USA awarded Monday with the top two age-eligible finishers for the boys and girls earning automatic spots. The selection committee also added two boys and two girls.
Joining Junior Team USA were EJ Tackett, Wesley Low, Kamron Doyle and Dominic Partipilo on the boys side, while Elise Bolton, Morgan O'Brien, Mary Wells and Ashley Rucker made it on the girls side.
- 1/30/2013: Storm Lucid™ - 2012 'No Holes Barred' Bowling Ball of the Year...
- 1/30/2013: Mike Jasnau In Reno For 2013 USBC Open Championship
- 1/30/2013: Meet The PBA League's Silver Lake Atom Splitters
- 1/29/2013: John Davis - Bowling Industry Icon, Visionary, Pioneer...
- 1/29/2013: Meet The PBA League's New York City WTT KingPins...
- 1/29/2013: Jeff Conradi Wins 2013 Storm Utah Open
- 1/27/2013: PBA League Debuts on ESPN
- 1/25/2013: Rash, Norton Make Final Show in Detroit...
- 1/25/2013: Malott Leads PBA Don Carter Classic...'Gold Ball' Dominating Detroit
- 1/25/2013: John Davis, Kegel Founder and CEO Passes Away.
- 1/24/2013: Wes Malott Dominates the PBA Don Carter Classic...Another Tournament Leader For Storm/Roto Grip
- 1/24/2013: Haugen Uses PBA League Snub, Hard Work as Motivation...
- 1/23/2013: Haugen Jr., Uses "Gold Ball" To Lead Roth Classic
- 1/23/2013: Weber, Duke Make Sweet 16 at Roth Classic
- 1/22/2013: 2 For The Show! D.J. Archer, Andres Gomez Will Represent Storm Nation at Salvino Classic ESPN Finals...
- 1/22/2013: Archer Leads Carmen Salvino Classic with Storm...
- 1/22/2013: Randy Explains How To Play Oily Lanes on Storm Tips
- 1/21/2013: 2013 PBA Tour Winter Swing Blog by Louie Wemett
- 1/21/2013: Foley, Giles March To Victory at Storm Irish Open...
- 1/20/2013: Mika, Tommy Jones Win Titles in Japan...
- 1/18/2013: Doug Kent, Danny Wiseman Elected To PBA Hall of Fame
- 1/17/2013: Storm's Rhino Page, Ryan Shafer and Derek Eoff Earn PBA Regional Honors...
- 1/17/2013: Storm Signs Top Amateur Marshall Kent
- 1/16/2013: The Storm SYNC™ with Leanne Hulsenberg and Steve Kloempken
- 1/16/2013: Friends of Tony Reyes...
- 1/15/2013: PBA in Detroit...Lane Patterns Honor Legends, New Formats
- 1/13/2013: Parker Bohn III Over Belmo at PBA World Championship
- 1/09/2013: PBA World Championship Sunday on ESPN...
- 1/08/2013: Storm/Roto Grip Dominate Team USA Trials...
- 1/06/2013: Vise, Storm Present Progressive Pot Games
- 1/06/2013: Daugherty Travels The 'Roads' To First PBA Title...
- 1/05/2013: 56th Military Bowling Championships Rolls at Orleans!
- 1/04/2013: High Roller's Senior Classic Set For Suncoast!
- 1/04/2013: Eoff Rolls with IQ™ Tour Pearl...Most Popular Ball on Planet Earth...
- 1/02/2013: Two-Handed Tandem on ESPN Sunday
- 1/01/2013: Pete and Norm's Greatest Hits - 1986 St. Louis Open
- 1/01/2013: Fans Vote Weber's U.S Open Win Top Bowling Story of 2012