Bowling News USA - December 15, 2012 Dom Barrett Wins EBT Point Rankings For Second Straight Year...Mika Takes Qatar Bowling Open
Fresh off his victory in the Round1 Japan Cup, Mika Koivuniemi of Finland defeated fellow countryman Tony Ranta in the title match of the 12th Qatar Bowling Open, 544-471, en route to win his second consecutive PBA International title and the 11th PBA title of his career Saturday at Qatar Bowling Center in Doha.
Storm's Dominic Barrett of England finished the tournament in 10th place to win the 2012 European Bowling Tour men's point ranking for the second time in his career. Barrett, who was the point ranking leader in 2010, earned total 695 ranking points and maintained a 40 point lead over Koivuniemi (655) with Larsen in third place at 614.
The two-time PBA Player, who improved on a second-place finish last year, led Final Round 1 & 2 to capture the No. 1 seed for the playoffs with the two-game total determining the winner. Koivuniemi pocketed 30.000 for the victory while Ranta received 14.400 Euro for second place.
In the semifinals, Ranta, seeded second, eliminated No. 3 seed,Tommy Jones, United States, in a low-scoring encounter, 389-361, while Koivuniemi sidelined Storm Staffer Martin Larsen(right), 442-385. Jones and Larsen earned 5.00 Euro apiece for third and fourth place.
Qualifying leader Birgit Pöppler of Germany, was the best of 13 women in the 142 player field from 26 countries in 11th place and received 250 ranking points to win the EBT women's point ranking for the first time in her career.
Pöppler, who held a 32-point lead heading into the last event of the 2012 EBT Tour, totaled 820 points to finish 172 points ahead of second-place Sandra Andersson of Sweden with 648. Three-time ranking leader Britt Brøndsted (2004-06) of Denmark was third with 514 points.
The 12th Qatar Bowling Open was the 19th and last event of the 2012 European Bowling Tour and one of only two EBT "Platinum" tournaments this season. The tournament was held from Dec. 9-15, 2012 at 32-lane Qatar Bowling Center in Doha, Qatar.
Players competed for total prize fund of 125.000 Euro (approx. $163,000) with 30.000 €going to the winner, 14.400 € to the runner-up and 5.000 € apiece to the third and fourth place finishers.
As the 12th Qatar Bowling Open was also the second event of the 2013 World Bowling Tour, the tournament also awarded a PBA international title (if won by a PBA member or a PBA international member).
Qualifying ran from Sunday, Dec. 9 through Friday, Dec. 14. A total of 48 players advanced to the finals on Saturday, Dec. 15, 2012. The top 9 qualifiers earned one bye. Women received 8 pins handicap each game, a standard on the European Bowling Tour.
The remaining 39 players bowled six games scratch with the top 19 advancing to the second round. Those 19 and the nine qualifying leaders rolled another six-game block scratch to cut to the top 4, who advanced to the semifinals.
The No. 1 bowled No. 4 and the No. 2 bowled No. 3 with the two-game total pinfall determining the winner. The two semifinal winners then bowled for the title and the 30.000 Euro top prize.
The 2012 European Bowling Tour was made up of 19 events in 16 countries includingtwo Platinum, four Gold, six Silver and seven Satellite tournaments.
The top 50 men and the top 50 women in each event earned ranking points based on how they finished in the event. The winner of a Platinum tournament such as the Qatar Bowling Open received 250 ranking points, the winner of a Gold tournament got 150, the winner of a Silver tournament earned 100, and the winner of a Satellite tournament got 50 ranking points.
Those points were tabulated throughout the season. The top 16 men and top 16 women will compete in the sixth EBT Masters in Bratislava, Slovakia in Sept. 2013.
- 12/31/2012: Watch all your favorite Storm Videos on the Storm YouTube Channel!
- 12/30/2012: Belmo Nipped at the Wire at PBA Chameleon Championship...
- 12/26/2012: Storm Products Continues Long Sponsorship of USBC Tournament.
- 12/25/2012: Watch The Finals of the PBA Chameleon Championship on ESPN Sunday!
- 12/25/2012: Beat The Champs: Pete Weber Just Keeps Right on Rolling...
- 12/23/2012: Brad Angelo Puts One on the Board for Storm Products!
- 12/23/2012: Martin Larsen Rolls to Victory in the 6th Kingdom International Open...
- 12/18/2012: Norm and Rhino Coming to Cove Lanes Bowling and Entertainment Center!
- 12/16/2012: Storm Leads PBA International Invasion...O'Neill Wins on Cheetah...
- 12/16/2012: "Gold Ball" Sweeping The Nation...And The Pins by Jeff Richgels
- 12/15/2012: Dom Barrett Wins EBT Point Rankings For Second Straight Year...Mika Takes Qatar Bowling Open
- 12/14/2012: Another World Record For Chad McLean...
- 12/13/2012: IAB Elite Youth Tour Coming to Sam's Town in Las Vegas
- 12/12/2012: Bowling Means The World To Diandra...By Anthony Nasella Post-Tribune Correspondent
- 12/11/2012: The PBA Returns to Beertown...
- 12/10/2012: Bertolina, Shellabarger Roll To Win at International Senior Open
- 12/09/2012: Liz Johnson Returns to the Storm Nation at WTBA Women's Championships...
- 12/07/2012: Watch Liz on ESPN Sunday!
- 12/06/2012: International Art of Bowling Launches 'The Circle' Membership
- 12/06/2012: 2013 PBA50 Tour Schedule Set
- 12/05/2012: Catch Hall of Famer Bob Hart on Phantom Radio
- 12/04/2012: Get Your IQ™ Tour Pearl Today!
- 12/03/2012: Pete Thomas Banks $12,000 at High Roller's Thanksgiving 50 & Over Classic
- 12/03/2012: Shayna Ng Ends Guerra's Run at World Cup Three-Peat