Bowling News USA - July 22, 2014 Storm's Woessner Extends Lead at BPAA Women's All-Star, Hammel Moves Into Top-5 at Senior US Open
Story by Matt Cannizzaro • USBC Communications
ROCKFORD, Ill. - Jodi Woessner of Oregon, Ohio, started her second day of qualifying at the Bowling Proprietors' Association of America Women's All-Star Tournament with a big game and never looked back, extending her lead over a talented field at The Cherry Bowl.
The 44-year-old right-hander averaged more than 213 for her six games Tuesday and tops the 75-player BPAA Women's All-Star standings with a 12-game total of 2,629, a 219 average. She now is 45 pins ahead of Alexis Ijams of Wichita, Kansas, who is second with 2,584, while left-hander and longtime Team USA member Shannon Pluhowsky of Dayton, Ohio, settled into third place with 2,567.
"I am very pleased with my execution today, and I definitely feel confident going into tomorrow," said Woessner, who started Tuesday's round with a 247 game. "The last couple of games got a little tricky, and there was a lot more transition and movement today than we saw yesterday."
Woessner knew the "fresh" 39-foot lane condition would be more challenging for her, so she's especially happy she was able to extend her lead. The finally six games of qualifying Wednesday also will be contested on freshly oiled lanes, and she'll be even more prepared.
"I really just wanted to grind it out and stay clean today, which I did," Woessner said. "More than anything, I just didn't want to make a wrong move and give anything away. I drilled another ball for tomorrow that I think will be the missing piece as the lanes transition, and I'll go out and get all I can again."
In the 2014 Bowling's Senior Women's U.S. Open, being held simultaneously at The Cherry Bowl, defending champion Paula Vidad of Sun City, California, closed Tuesday's second round with games of 246 and 245 to climb to the top of the leaderboard with a 12-game total of 2,394.
United States Bowling Congress Hall of Famers Lucy Sandelin of Tampa, Florida, and Linda Kelly of Dayton, Ohio, are second and third with 2,348 and 2,311, respectively.
Vidad entered the day fourth among the 28 Senior Women's U.S. Open bowlers, but she has been getting more comfortable as the event has progressed.
"My confidence is really high right now, and as the week goes on, I'm getting more comfortable with the approaches and the condition and just the whole environment," Vidad said. "The conditions are a little tougher, but whether you're over or under, you just want to stay ahead of everybody. Then, when you get to match play, it changes a little, but the goals are pretty much the same."
All competitors will bowl 18 qualifying games over three days before the field is cut. The top 16 BPAA Women's All-Star Tournament participants will bowl 16 games of round-robin match play, and the top eight in the Senior Women's U.S. Open will bowl eight games of match play to determine the stepladder finalists for each event.
The Senior Women's U.S. Open stepladder finals are scheduled for Thursday, and the BPAA Women's All-Star Tournament finals will be Friday.
All qualifying, match play and championship-round competition will be broadcast live on BOWL.com's BowlTV. Competition resumes Wednesday at 11 a.m. EDT.
The Women's All Star Tournament, which began in 1971, was the pre-cursor to Bowling's U.S. Women's Open, which is on hiatus until 2015. This year's event will showcase today's top talent, highlight the history of women's bowling and celebrate the 40th anniversary of formation of the Ladies Pro Bowling Tour.
The Women's All-Star winner will take home $15,000, while the Senior Women's U.S. Open champion will earn $3,000.
The Senior Women's U.S. Open marks the third and final stop of the Senior Women's Triple Crown Series presented by The Orleans. The Triple Crown Series is a special competition for bowlers who compete in the United States Bowling Congress Senior Queens, National Golden Ladies Classic and Senior Women's U.S. Open.
The top 10 players in the Triple Crown standings, which combines qualifying totals from all three events, will take part in the Triple Crown Shoot-Out presented by The Orleans.
The Triple Crown Shoot-Out will be held at The Cherry Bowl immediately after the Senior Women's U.S. Open competition on July 24.
After Vidad won the 2013 Senior Women's U.S. Open, Sandelin went on to win the Triple Crown Shoot-Out later in the year.
2014 BPAA WOMEN'S ALL-STAR
The Cherry Bowl, Rockford, Ill.
QUALIFYING - ROUND 2 • Top 10 (Thru 12 Games)
1, Jodi Woessner, Oregon, Ohio, 2,629.
2, Alexis Ijams, Wichita, Kan., 2,584.
3, Shannon Pluhowsky, Dayton, Ohio, 2,567.
4, Liz Johnson, Cheektowaga, N.Y., 2,565.
5, Shannon O'Keefe, Arlington, Texas, 2,557.
6, Diana Zavjalova, Latvia, 2,553.
7, Missy Parkin, Laguna Hills, Calif., 2,528.
8, Brittni Hamilton, Webster, N.Y., 2,520.
9, Leanne Hulsenberg, Ogden, Utah, 2,516.
10, Jennifer Higgins, Westerville, Ohio, 2,494.
2014 BOWLING'S SENIOR WOMEN'S U.S. OPEN
The Cherry Bowl, Rockford, Illinois
QUALIFYING - ROUND 2 • Top 5 (Thru 12 Games)
1, Paula Vidad, Sun City, Calif., 2,394.
2, Lucy Sandelin, Tampa, Fla., 2,348.
3, Linda Kelly, Dayton, Ohio, 2,311.
4, Jan Schmidt, Hales Corners, Wis., 2,305.
5, Char Hammel, Las Vegas, 2,287.
(BOLD = Storm and Roto Grip Staff)
- 7/31/2014: Tom Baker Defeats Norm Duke to Win PBA50 Dayton Classic presented by Roto Grip
- 7/31/2014: Team USA Roster for PABCON Women's Championships Includes Pair of Former US Open Champions
- 7/31/2014: Storm's Mike Scroggins Will Be Inducted at PBA Southwest Region's Inaugural Hall of Fame Ceremony
- 7/31/2014: National Championship Coach Dan Dorion Leaves Legacy as Bowling Guru
- 7/31/2014: 2014 European Bowlers Tour Schedule, Champions and Money Breakdown
- 7/31/2014: Junior Team USA Shines in Doubles at Tournament of the Americas
- 7/31/2014: Mike Edwards Continues to Set Pace at PBA50 Dayton Classic; Jurek, Baker, Pedersen, Weber and Duke Crack Top 10
- 7/30/2014: Strikes For Kids' Fundraiser Makes ESPN's "Seahawks Training Camp Part 1" Coverage
- 7/30/2014: Did You Know That USBC has Regional Development Facilities Around the Country?
- 7/30/2014: PBA Women’s Regional Schedule and Results
- 7/29/2014: United States Team Excels in Singles at Tournament of the Americas
- 7/29/2014: Storm's Mike Edwards Leads After First Round of PBA50 Dayton Classic, Defending Champion Pedersen Sits 7th
- 7/29/2014: PBA Tour Champion, Storm National Staffer Brad Angelo in Waukesha For BowlU Camp
- 7/29/2014: The 11th Frame: Qualifying Upped to 4 Games for 12th Annual Tri-City Bank Milwaukee Open
- 7/29/2014: Hundreds of Bowlers From Around the Country to Bowl The 15th Annual Luci Bonneau Memorial Tournament
- 7/29/2014: PBA50 Dayton Classic Underway, Storm's Randy Pedersen Looking to Defend Title
- 7/28/2014: Fairleigh Dickinson’s Melanie Hannon Receives 2014 PBA Billy Welu Scholarship
- 7/28/2014: Live Coverage of the 13th World Youth Championships in Hong Kong, China
- 7/27/2014: PBA Boise Northwest/West Open - Results; Five Storm and Roto Grip Staffers in Top 10
- 7/27/2014: Koivuniemi Wins Dream-Bowl Palace Open for His 10th EBT Title; Barrett , Palermaa and Williams Finish Top 25
- 7/25/2014: Dominic Barrett Holds Onto Lead in Munich; Palmeraa and Williams In the Mix
- 7/25/2014: Roto Grip's Shannon Pluhowsky Wins 2014 BPAA Women's All Star; Storm's Kulick and Johnson Finish 4th and 5th
- 7/24/2014: Roto Grip's Pluhowsky Earns Top Seed for BPAA All Star Stepladder; Storm's Liz Johnson and Kulick Sit Third and Fifth
- 7/24/2014: Vidad wins 2014 Bowling's Senior Women's US Open, Storm's Tish Johnson Finishes Second
- 7/24/2014: Storm Live's Randy Pedersen Will Co-Host ABT Summer Nationals Live-Streaming from Chicago
- 7/24/2014: Live-Streaming: 2014 BPAA Women's All-Star - Match Play Round 1
- 7/24/2014: Dom Barrett Takes Over Qualifying Lead at Dream-Bowl Palace Open; Palermaa and Williams Round-Out Top-10
- 7/24/2014: PBA Commissioner Tom Clark: Even PDW Does Amazing Things On the Lanes That Still Surprise Him
- 7/23/2014: Pete Weber Wins PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic; Pedersen's Overhaul Pays Dividends
- 7/23/2014: Zavjalova, Johnson Top Qualifiers in Rockford; Woessner in 2nd with 9 More Storm and Roto Grip Lady Staffers in Top-20
- 7/23/2014: PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic - Storm's Weber, Pedersen Advance From Round of 4
- 7/23/2014: Storm's "New Generation of Bowler" Going Underground
- 7/23/2014: PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic - Match Play Rounds
- 7/23/2014: Striking Back Clinic presented by Ballard's Bowling Academy, Fundraiser for Ballard vs The Big 'C'
- 7/23/2014: Bowling Combine Kicks Off at ITRC
- 7/23/2014: IAB Asked, Bowlers Answered…Belmonte Is Fan Favorite For Doubles Partner
- 7/23/2014: Bad Lane Assignments...
- 7/22/2014: PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic; Weber, Pedersen and Edwards Sit 1-2-3
- 7/22/2014: Storm's Woessner Extends Lead at BPAA Women's All-Star, Hammel Moves Into Top-5 at Senior US Open
- 7/22/2014: PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic Qualifying Round Two, Weber Leading Squad
- 7/22/2014: Whose Dreams Are They Living?...Insight by Shayna Ng
- 7/22/2014: Senior Women's US Open Stepladder Finals Set For Thursday, BPAA All Stars Finals Friday
- 7/22/2014: Wayne Webb Averages 250 Taking First-Round Lead in PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic, Weber Close Behind
- 7/22/2014: Live-Streaming: 2014 BPAA Women's All-Star/Senior Women's U.S. Open - Qualifying Round 2 (Squad B)
- 7/22/2014: The 11th Frame: USBC Makes Proper Changes to Ball Surfaces Altering Rule For Open Championships
- 7/22/2014: UBA Entertainment Network's Vixen Championship Finals
- 7/21/2014: Storm's Woessner and Former USBC Queen's Champion Jan Schmidt Lead at BPAA Events in Rockford
- 7/21/2014: PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic A & B Squad Update
- 7/21/2014: PBA St. Charles Lanes Midwest Open Presented By Storm - Results
- 7/21/2014: Uzelac Classic Next Stop August 24 at Bonwood Lanes, Full Schedule
- 7/21/2014: ABT 2014 Summer Nationals Presented by Storm
- 7/21/2014: 2014 PBA50 Tour Schedule & Champions
- 7/21/2014: BPAA National Learn To Bowl Month in October 2014
- 7/21/2014: All Eyes in Bowling are Focused on Rockford, Illinois, BPAA Women's All Star and Senior Women's US Open Underway Today
- 7/21/2014: PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic is Underway
- 7/20/2014: Team USA Men Earn More Medals at PASF, Storm's Mike Fagan Takes Home Gold
- 7/20/2014: Ohio’s Bill McCorkle Wins Inaugural PBA50 Dick Weber Super Senior Classic for First PBA50 Title
- 7/20/2014: Storm's Dominic Barrett Defeats Roto Grip's Stuart Williams in All-English Affair to Win 9th EBT Title at San Marino Open
- 7/19/2014: PBA Adjusts Women's Dues, Re-Schedules Central, Midwest Region Events Including PBA St. Charles Lanes Midwest Open
- 7/19/2014: Mika Koivuniemi Rises to the Top in 10th San Marino Open, Storm's Osku Palermaa Slides Into Top-8
- 7/18/2014: Summer Team USA Trials Application Process Now Open
- 7/18/2014: Roto Grip's Paul McCordic Averages 223 to Lead After First Round in PBA50 Dick Weber Super Senior Classic Presented by Storm
- 7/18/2014: Nathan Bohr and Storm's Mike Fagan Silver Medalists in Men’s Doubles at PASF
- 7/18/2014: Six USBC Youth Members Win National Titles at Junior Gold
- 7/18/2014: Storm's Derek Eoff Is the Jim Grady Bowler of the Year Award Recipient
- 7/18/2014: PBA St. Charles Lanes Midwest Open Presented By Storm
- 7/18/2014: 2014 Junior Gold Championships Advancers Round Update, Adult/Youth Baker Challenge Final Standings
- 7/18/2014: Four Earn Junior Team USA Spots at Junior Gold
- 7/18/2014: Martin Paulsson takes over pole position in 10th San Marino Open, Storm's Martin Larsen Cracks Top-10
- 7/17/2014: After Nearly 20 Years...Randy Pedersen Finally Embraces "The Worst Break In PBA History"
- 7/17/2014: 2014 Junior Gold Championships Qualifying Round 3 Update
- 7/17/2014: Dane Leads Wednesday's Qualifying Squads, Italian Federico Rossi Holds Onto Lead; Storm's Tim Mack Cracks Top-8
- 7/17/2014: Biggest Source of Inequity in Bowling is Relatively Unknown Factor: Lane Topography
- 7/17/2014: Pete Weber Wins Fourth and Back-to-Back ESPYS For Best Bowler
- 7/16/2014: Belmo Looking to Repeat as PBA Player of the Year
- 7/16/2014: Striking Way to Earn Scholarship Dollars
- 7/16/2014: 2014 Junior Gold Championships Qualifying Round 2 Update
- 7/16/2014: Pete Weber to Bowl Cancer Charity Match at Minnesota PBA50 Tour Event
- 7/16/2014: Italy's Rossi Continues to Lead the 79-Player Field, Storm's Tim Mack Moves Into 16th Place
- 7/16/2014: 11th Frame: Scroggins Brothers Aiming to Form 10-lefty Group for 2015 USBC Open Championships
- 7/15/2014: UBA World Championship Ziesig vs Shuler July 19th in Flushing, NY
- 7/15/2014: Former PBA Commissioner Mike Connor dies at 81
- 7/15/2014: Alessandro Silletti Chalks Up 1347 to Move Into Third Place in Storm San Marino Open
- 7/15/2014: 2014 Junior Gold Championships Qualifying Round 1 Update
- 7/15/2014: 2014 Storm Bowlers Journal Champions Crowned
- 7/15/2014: Real Bowlers Tour Eric Defreitas Scratch Singles Classic On-Deck
- 7/14/2014: Jason Sterner Champions 5th Annual RBT Canton Scratch 10-Gamer
- 7/14/2014: Sasha Gray Rolls Perfect 900 Series With a P|tch Black
- 7/14/2014: U22 Bowlers Enjoy Storm Strike Out Bowlfest
- 7/14/2014: Dominating Performance by Singapore Youths, Using Storm
- 7/14/2014: Italian Shoots 1449 to Lead Qualifying After the First Weekend of 10th Storm San Marino Open
- 7/14/2014: On Heels of Storm Challenge Victory, Storm's AJ Rice Wins 2014 Proprietor's Cup III
- 7/14/2014: Junior Gold Championships Underway in Buffalo
- 7/14/2014: Storm's Riccardi Wins PBA Spring Hill Crystal Automotive South Open
- 7/11/2014: PBA Spare Shots: Veteran Woman Star Yuka Tsuchiya Sweeps Inaugural PBA Japan Region Cheetah Titles, Regional Summary
- 7/11/2014: UBA TV
- 7/11/2014: Miss The Live Broadcast of 2014 USBC Queens? ESPN to Re-Air Stepladder Finals
- 7/11/2014: Best Shot Celebrations. EVER.
- 7/10/2014: BPAA Women's All Star and Senior Women's US Open Presented by Storm
- 7/10/2014: USBC Queens Runner-Up Kelly Kulick Maintains Lead In Women's Point Rankings
- 7/10/2014: USBC NEWS: Champions Crowned at 2014 Senior Championships, Including Storm's Don Griffin, Jr.
- 7/10/2014: Rhino Page's Crossing The Finish Line to Find a Cure!
- 7/10/2014: PBA50 Player, Rookie of the Year Races Make Stretch-run Heading Into Dick Weber Classic
- 7/09/2014: Be A Better Bowler - A Message From The Next Generation!
- 7/09/2014: Robert Morris-Illinois Wins Women's ITC Title
- 7/09/2014: European Women's Championship 2014, Women's Team England Retains Gold Medal
- 7/09/2014: 40 Boards and A Ball Opposites Attract Scratch Mixed Doubles Results
- 7/09/2014: USBC Team USA Trials January 2015, Look Back at 2014 Results
- 7/09/2014: 2014 USBC Senior Championships Underway in Reno
- 7/08/2014: Craig Nidiffer High Roller Champion; Thomas, Nichols Finish Runner Up and Second Runner Up
- 7/08/2014: Thomas Larsen Widens Lead, Storm With 5 Players Rounding Out Top 15
- 7/08/2014: UBA Vixens Championship Qualifying Event, Tag Team Championship On-Tap
- 7/08/2014: July High Roller Presented by Storm Results Update
- 7/07/2014: Cain To Continue as USBC President, 2014-15 To Be His Last
- 7/07/2014: Pluhowsky Bowls Perfect Game at 2014 USBC Open
- 7/06/2014: PBA Spare Shots: XTRA FRAME Adds Eastern “Super Regional” To Video Streaming Lineup, Regional Summary
- 7/06/2014: Florida’s Coffey, New York’s Skalacki Win Teen Masters Titles, Berth in PBA Champion’s Challenge Telecast
- 7/05/2014: Norm Palomares, Emilio Rubio and Karla Alsgood Crowned 2014 TAT Summer Classic Champions
- 7/04/2014: 2014 TAT Summer Classic Thursday Second Cut Results
- 7/04/2014: From Everyone At Storm - Have A Fun, Safe Holiday!
- 7/03/2014: USBC Queens: Rodriguez Squeaks By Kulick 190-189, Solid Week For Kelly and All Storm and Roto Grip Lady Staffers
- 7/03/2014: AJ Rice Wins 2014 TAT Summer Classic Storm Challenge
- 7/03/2014: BREAKING: Robin Romeo Defeats Tish Johnson To Win 2014 USBC Senior Queens Using A Storm IQ Tour Solid
- 7/03/2014: PBA50 Dick Weber Super Senior Classic Presented by Storm
- 7/03/2014: 2014-15 Storm Equipment and Gear Now Available, Check Out What's New
- 7/03/2014: Finalists Set for 2014 USBC Queens, Tannya Roumimper AND Kelly Kulick Make Stepladder Finals
- 7/02/2014: BREAKING: Tish Johnson Makes USBC Senior Queens Stepladder TV Finals
- 7/02/2014: BREAKING: Tannya Roumimper and Kelly Kulick Make Queens TV Finals
- 7/02/2014: And…Cut, That’s A Wrap From Orlando
- 7/02/2014: 2014 TAT Summer Classic Tuesday Qualifying Standings
- 7/02/2014: USBC Queens Update: Roumimper Makes Show Bowling For #1 Seed, Johnson and Kulick Fighting For TV Finals
- 7/02/2014: USBC Queens Update: Roumimper, Johnson and Kulick Still In The Mix - Greene Throwing Storm
- 7/02/2014: PWBA and WIBC Hall of Famer Tish Johnson Remains Undefeated at 2014 Senior Queens
- 7/01/2014: Four Players Remain Unbeaten; Tannya Roumimper, Liz Johnson and Kelly Kulick In Bracket Play
- 7/01/2014: Bill O’Neill Cruises to Victory in Oklahoma’s Grand Casino Resort PBA King of the Swing
- 7/01/2014: 2014 USBC QUEENS Winners Bracket Through Match Play Round 2
- 7/01/2014: 2014 USBC QUEENS Match Play Rounds 1 & 2 Live Streaming - Tune In NOW!
- 7/01/2014: 2014 USBC QUEENS: Asbaty, Kulick, Johnson, Dorin-Ballard and Shayna Ng Make Top 32
- 7/01/2014: 2014 UBA UNHOLY ALLIANCE III MIXED TRIPLES EVENT RESULTS