Bowling News USA - July 9, 2014 2014 USBC Senior Championships Underway in Reno
RENO, Nev. - Linda Myer of Winter Haven, Fla., loves bowling and competes in a variety of leagues and tournaments, but until her appearance at the 2014United States Bowling Congress Senior Championships this week at the National Bowling Stadium, she'd never bowled outside of her home state.
But Myers' trip to The Biggest Little City in the World almost didn't happen.
Days before the 2013 Florida State Women's Bowling Association Senior Tournament, Myer found herself without a doubles partner and in danger of not bowling.
"I was able to get a partner the Friday before the tournament," Myer said. "My partner, Linda Jones, and I took first place in doubles, and I beat (USBC Hall of Famer) Lucy Sandelin by one pin to win all-events in the "A" division."
By winning the Division 1 (ages 55-64) All-Events title with a score of 1,364, Myer secured her spot at this year's USBC Senior Championships, being held in Reno on Tuesday and Wednesday, where she's proudly representing the state of Florida.
The 2014 Senior Championships features two divisions - Open and Women's - with six age classifications (50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75 and above).
Before taking the lanes for her first three games of qualifying in the 60-64 category of the Women's Division on Tuesday, Myer took the opportunity to look around at the one-of-a-kind venue.
"I came and wandered around to get the awe off of me a little bit," said Myer, who bowls regularly at Cypress Lanes in Winter Haven, Fla. "I had to pinch myself a few times. It's like being a kid in a candy store for the first time."
All Senior Championships competitors will bowl six games over two days, after which the field in each category will be cut to the top six bowlers, who will return to the lanes Wednesday at 10 p.m. EDT for a three-game medal round. All pinfall will carry over, and winners will be determined based on their nine-game totals.
Myer finished the opening round in 30th place with a 589 handicap total after games of 158, 156 and 158 for 472 scratch effort. She knows she'll have her work cut out for her if she's going to catch Alaska's Spring Boling and Jennie Nubie from California, who share the top spot in the standings with 723.
Regardless of her finish, though, Myer is excited to have her first out-of-state bowling trip under her belt, and she already is looking forward to more trips in 2015 with bowlers she has met in Reno.
"Bowlers are bowlers, and they're all family, and it's been great," Myer said. "I've met dozens of people, who I will be staying in contact with. I may even be going to the Open Championships or the Women's Championships with these friends."
In the Open Division, first-time Senior Championships participant Don Griffin of St. Louis used the momentum of recent success at the USBC Open Championships, also held at the National Bowling Stadium, to post the highest scratch series of the day and take the early lead in the 50-54 category.
The 54-year-old left-hander has tried to qualify for the national event before and finally was able to break through this year. He took advantage of the opportunity with games of 224, 279 and 238 for a 741 series Tuesday at the NBS. Reggie Riley of Conway, Ark., is second with 728, while Eric Deaton of Ontario, Canada, is third at 706.
After looking at the lane condition for this year's Senior Championships, Griffin decided on five balls he thought would work, but the official practice session proved otherwise. Following practice, he changed some surfaces and went on to win the first three-game sweeper of the week, giving him a little extra confidence heading into the first qualifying block.
"I came out today and had a similar look, and I was fortunate enough to put some big games together," said Griffin, who posted a 2,026 all-events total at the Open Championships this year. "This is a really neat format, and it's a sprint, so you have to come out and strike early and often. I've been making a lot of good shots lately and not throwing as many bad shots."
Griffin fined-tuned his game during a 90-minute session with USBC Silver coach Mike Jasnau as part of the VIP program at the Open Championships, and along with immediate success on the championship lanes in June, it also gave him some things to focus on while he prepared for the Senior Championships.
"Mike really helped me fine-tune some things and get my game back on track," Griffin said. "It's nice to be bowling well, and I'm just excited to be here competing in this environment."
Griffin will continue his quest for Senior Championships glory with another three games of qualifying Wednesday at 2 p.m. Eastern.
The 2014 Senior Championships is a national event for bowlers who have qualified through their state's senior tournament. This year's event features more than 400 participants from across the United States and Canada vying for a share of a prize fund of more than $40,000.
- 7/31/2014: Tom Baker Defeats Norm Duke to Win PBA50 Dayton Classic presented by Roto Grip
- 7/31/2014: Team USA Roster for PABCON Women's Championships Includes Pair of Former US Open Champions
- 7/31/2014: Storm's Mike Scroggins Will Be Inducted at PBA Southwest Region's Inaugural Hall of Fame Ceremony
- 7/31/2014: National Championship Coach Dan Dorion Leaves Legacy as Bowling Guru
- 7/31/2014: 2014 European Bowlers Tour Schedule, Champions and Money Breakdown
- 7/31/2014: Junior Team USA Shines in Doubles at Tournament of the Americas
- 7/31/2014: Mike Edwards Continues to Set Pace at PBA50 Dayton Classic; Jurek, Baker, Pedersen, Weber and Duke Crack Top 10
- 7/30/2014: Strikes For Kids' Fundraiser Makes ESPN's "Seahawks Training Camp Part 1" Coverage
- 7/30/2014: Did You Know That USBC has Regional Development Facilities Around the Country?
- 7/30/2014: PBA Women’s Regional Schedule and Results
- 7/29/2014: United States Team Excels in Singles at Tournament of the Americas
- 7/29/2014: Storm's Mike Edwards Leads After First Round of PBA50 Dayton Classic, Defending Champion Pedersen Sits 7th
- 7/29/2014: PBA Tour Champion, Storm National Staffer Brad Angelo in Waukesha For BowlU Camp
- 7/29/2014: The 11th Frame: Qualifying Upped to 4 Games for 12th Annual Tri-City Bank Milwaukee Open
- 7/29/2014: Hundreds of Bowlers From Around the Country to Bowl The 15th Annual Luci Bonneau Memorial Tournament
- 7/29/2014: PBA50 Dayton Classic Underway, Storm's Randy Pedersen Looking to Defend Title
- 7/28/2014: Fairleigh Dickinson’s Melanie Hannon Receives 2014 PBA Billy Welu Scholarship
- 7/28/2014: Live Coverage of the 13th World Youth Championships in Hong Kong, China
- 7/27/2014: PBA Boise Northwest/West Open - Results; Five Storm and Roto Grip Staffers in Top 10
- 7/27/2014: Koivuniemi Wins Dream-Bowl Palace Open for His 10th EBT Title; Barrett , Palermaa and Williams Finish Top 25
- 7/25/2014: Dominic Barrett Holds Onto Lead in Munich; Palmeraa and Williams In the Mix
- 7/25/2014: Roto Grip's Shannon Pluhowsky Wins 2014 BPAA Women's All Star; Storm's Kulick and Johnson Finish 4th and 5th
- 7/24/2014: Roto Grip's Pluhowsky Earns Top Seed for BPAA All Star Stepladder; Storm's Liz Johnson and Kulick Sit Third and Fifth
- 7/24/2014: Vidad wins 2014 Bowling's Senior Women's US Open, Storm's Tish Johnson Finishes Second
- 7/24/2014: Storm Live's Randy Pedersen Will Co-Host ABT Summer Nationals Live-Streaming from Chicago
- 7/24/2014: Live-Streaming: 2014 BPAA Women's All-Star - Match Play Round 1
- 7/24/2014: Dom Barrett Takes Over Qualifying Lead at Dream-Bowl Palace Open; Palermaa and Williams Round-Out Top-10
- 7/24/2014: PBA Commissioner Tom Clark: Even PDW Does Amazing Things On the Lanes That Still Surprise Him
- 7/23/2014: Pete Weber Wins PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic; Pedersen's Overhaul Pays Dividends
- 7/23/2014: Zavjalova, Johnson Top Qualifiers in Rockford; Woessner in 2nd with 9 More Storm and Roto Grip Lady Staffers in Top-20
- 7/23/2014: PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic - Storm's Weber, Pedersen Advance From Round of 4
- 7/23/2014: Storm's "New Generation of Bowler" Going Underground
- 7/23/2014: PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic - Match Play Rounds
- 7/23/2014: Striking Back Clinic presented by Ballard's Bowling Academy, Fundraiser for Ballard vs The Big 'C'
- 7/23/2014: Bowling Combine Kicks Off at ITRC
- 7/23/2014: IAB Asked, Bowlers Answered…Belmonte Is Fan Favorite For Doubles Partner
- 7/23/2014: Bad Lane Assignments...
- 7/22/2014: PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic; Weber, Pedersen and Edwards Sit 1-2-3
- 7/22/2014: Storm's Woessner Extends Lead at BPAA Women's All-Star, Hammel Moves Into Top-5 at Senior US Open
- 7/22/2014: PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic Qualifying Round Two, Weber Leading Squad
- 7/22/2014: Whose Dreams Are They Living?...Insight by Shayna Ng
- 7/22/2014: Senior Women's US Open Stepladder Finals Set For Thursday, BPAA All Stars Finals Friday
- 7/22/2014: Wayne Webb Averages 250 Taking First-Round Lead in PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic, Weber Close Behind
- 7/22/2014: Live-Streaming: 2014 BPAA Women's All-Star/Senior Women's U.S. Open - Qualifying Round 2 (Squad B)
- 7/22/2014: The 11th Frame: USBC Makes Proper Changes to Ball Surfaces Altering Rule For Open Championships
- 7/22/2014: UBA Entertainment Network's Vixen Championship Finals
- 7/21/2014: Storm's Woessner and Former USBC Queen's Champion Jan Schmidt Lead at BPAA Events in Rockford
- 7/21/2014: PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic A & B Squad Update
- 7/21/2014: PBA St. Charles Lanes Midwest Open Presented By Storm - Results
- 7/21/2014: Uzelac Classic Next Stop August 24 at Bonwood Lanes, Full Schedule
- 7/21/2014: ABT 2014 Summer Nationals Presented by Storm
- 7/21/2014: 2014 PBA50 Tour Schedule & Champions
- 7/21/2014: BPAA National Learn To Bowl Month in October 2014
- 7/21/2014: All Eyes in Bowling are Focused on Rockford, Illinois, BPAA Women's All Star and Senior Women's US Open Underway Today
- 7/21/2014: PBA50 Pro Bowl West Fort Wayne Classic is Underway
- 7/20/2014: Team USA Men Earn More Medals at PASF, Storm's Mike Fagan Takes Home Gold
- 7/20/2014: Ohio’s Bill McCorkle Wins Inaugural PBA50 Dick Weber Super Senior Classic for First PBA50 Title
- 7/20/2014: Storm's Dominic Barrett Defeats Roto Grip's Stuart Williams in All-English Affair to Win 9th EBT Title at San Marino Open
- 7/19/2014: PBA Adjusts Women's Dues, Re-Schedules Central, Midwest Region Events Including PBA St. Charles Lanes Midwest Open
- 7/19/2014: Mika Koivuniemi Rises to the Top in 10th San Marino Open, Storm's Osku Palermaa Slides Into Top-8
- 7/18/2014: Summer Team USA Trials Application Process Now Open
- 7/18/2014: Roto Grip's Paul McCordic Averages 223 to Lead After First Round in PBA50 Dick Weber Super Senior Classic Presented by Storm
- 7/18/2014: Nathan Bohr and Storm's Mike Fagan Silver Medalists in Men’s Doubles at PASF
- 7/18/2014: Six USBC Youth Members Win National Titles at Junior Gold
- 7/18/2014: Storm's Derek Eoff Is the Jim Grady Bowler of the Year Award Recipient
- 7/18/2014: PBA St. Charles Lanes Midwest Open Presented By Storm
- 7/18/2014: 2014 Junior Gold Championships Advancers Round Update, Adult/Youth Baker Challenge Final Standings
- 7/18/2014: Four Earn Junior Team USA Spots at Junior Gold
- 7/18/2014: Martin Paulsson takes over pole position in 10th San Marino Open, Storm's Martin Larsen Cracks Top-10
- 7/17/2014: After Nearly 20 Years...Randy Pedersen Finally Embraces "The Worst Break In PBA History"
- 7/17/2014: 2014 Junior Gold Championships Qualifying Round 3 Update
- 7/17/2014: Dane Leads Wednesday's Qualifying Squads, Italian Federico Rossi Holds Onto Lead; Storm's Tim Mack Cracks Top-8
- 7/17/2014: Biggest Source of Inequity in Bowling is Relatively Unknown Factor: Lane Topography
- 7/17/2014: Pete Weber Wins Fourth and Back-to-Back ESPYS For Best Bowler
- 7/16/2014: Belmo Looking to Repeat as PBA Player of the Year
- 7/16/2014: Striking Way to Earn Scholarship Dollars
- 7/16/2014: 2014 Junior Gold Championships Qualifying Round 2 Update
- 7/16/2014: Pete Weber to Bowl Cancer Charity Match at Minnesota PBA50 Tour Event
- 7/16/2014: Italy's Rossi Continues to Lead the 79-Player Field, Storm's Tim Mack Moves Into 16th Place
- 7/16/2014: 11th Frame: Scroggins Brothers Aiming to Form 10-lefty Group for 2015 USBC Open Championships
- 7/15/2014: UBA World Championship Ziesig vs Shuler July 19th in Flushing, NY
- 7/15/2014: Former PBA Commissioner Mike Connor dies at 81
- 7/15/2014: Alessandro Silletti Chalks Up 1347 to Move Into Third Place in Storm San Marino Open
- 7/15/2014: 2014 Junior Gold Championships Qualifying Round 1 Update
- 7/15/2014: 2014 Storm Bowlers Journal Champions Crowned
- 7/15/2014: Real Bowlers Tour Eric Defreitas Scratch Singles Classic On-Deck
- 7/14/2014: Jason Sterner Champions 5th Annual RBT Canton Scratch 10-Gamer
- 7/14/2014: Sasha Gray Rolls Perfect 900 Series With a P|tch Black
- 7/14/2014: U22 Bowlers Enjoy Storm Strike Out Bowlfest
- 7/14/2014: Dominating Performance by Singapore Youths, Using Storm
- 7/14/2014: Italian Shoots 1449 to Lead Qualifying After the First Weekend of 10th Storm San Marino Open
- 7/14/2014: On Heels of Storm Challenge Victory, Storm's AJ Rice Wins 2014 Proprietor's Cup III
- 7/14/2014: Junior Gold Championships Underway in Buffalo
- 7/14/2014: Storm's Riccardi Wins PBA Spring Hill Crystal Automotive South Open
- 7/11/2014: PBA Spare Shots: Veteran Woman Star Yuka Tsuchiya Sweeps Inaugural PBA Japan Region Cheetah Titles, Regional Summary
- 7/11/2014: UBA TV
- 7/11/2014: Miss The Live Broadcast of 2014 USBC Queens? ESPN to Re-Air Stepladder Finals
- 7/11/2014: Best Shot Celebrations. EVER.
- 7/10/2014: BPAA Women's All Star and Senior Women's US Open Presented by Storm
- 7/10/2014: USBC Queens Runner-Up Kelly Kulick Maintains Lead In Women's Point Rankings
- 7/10/2014: USBC NEWS: Champions Crowned at 2014 Senior Championships, Including Storm's Don Griffin, Jr.
- 7/10/2014: Rhino Page's Crossing The Finish Line to Find a Cure!
- 7/10/2014: PBA50 Player, Rookie of the Year Races Make Stretch-run Heading Into Dick Weber Classic
- 7/09/2014: Be A Better Bowler - A Message From The Next Generation!
- 7/09/2014: Robert Morris-Illinois Wins Women's ITC Title
- 7/09/2014: European Women's Championship 2014, Women's Team England Retains Gold Medal
- 7/09/2014: 40 Boards and A Ball Opposites Attract Scratch Mixed Doubles Results
- 7/09/2014: USBC Team USA Trials January 2015, Look Back at 2014 Results
- 7/09/2014: 2014 USBC Senior Championships Underway in Reno
- 7/08/2014: Craig Nidiffer High Roller Champion; Thomas, Nichols Finish Runner Up and Second Runner Up
- 7/08/2014: Thomas Larsen Widens Lead, Storm With 5 Players Rounding Out Top 15
- 7/08/2014: UBA Vixens Championship Qualifying Event, Tag Team Championship On-Tap
- 7/08/2014: July High Roller Presented by Storm Results Update
- 7/07/2014: Cain To Continue as USBC President, 2014-15 To Be His Last
- 7/07/2014: Pluhowsky Bowls Perfect Game at 2014 USBC Open
- 7/06/2014: PBA Spare Shots: XTRA FRAME Adds Eastern “Super Regional” To Video Streaming Lineup, Regional Summary
- 7/06/2014: Florida’s Coffey, New York’s Skalacki Win Teen Masters Titles, Berth in PBA Champion’s Challenge Telecast
- 7/05/2014: Norm Palomares, Emilio Rubio and Karla Alsgood Crowned 2014 TAT Summer Classic Champions
- 7/04/2014: 2014 TAT Summer Classic Thursday Second Cut Results
- 7/04/2014: From Everyone At Storm - Have A Fun, Safe Holiday!
- 7/03/2014: USBC Queens: Rodriguez Squeaks By Kulick 190-189, Solid Week For Kelly and All Storm and Roto Grip Lady Staffers
- 7/03/2014: AJ Rice Wins 2014 TAT Summer Classic Storm Challenge
- 7/03/2014: BREAKING: Robin Romeo Defeats Tish Johnson To Win 2014 USBC Senior Queens Using A Storm IQ Tour Solid
- 7/03/2014: PBA50 Dick Weber Super Senior Classic Presented by Storm
- 7/03/2014: 2014-15 Storm Equipment and Gear Now Available, Check Out What's New
- 7/03/2014: Finalists Set for 2014 USBC Queens, Tannya Roumimper AND Kelly Kulick Make Stepladder Finals
- 7/02/2014: BREAKING: Tish Johnson Makes USBC Senior Queens Stepladder TV Finals
- 7/02/2014: BREAKING: Tannya Roumimper and Kelly Kulick Make Queens TV Finals
- 7/02/2014: And…Cut, That’s A Wrap From Orlando
- 7/02/2014: 2014 TAT Summer Classic Tuesday Qualifying Standings
- 7/02/2014: USBC Queens Update: Roumimper Makes Show Bowling For #1 Seed, Johnson and Kulick Fighting For TV Finals
- 7/02/2014: USBC Queens Update: Roumimper, Johnson and Kulick Still In The Mix - Greene Throwing Storm
- 7/02/2014: PWBA and WIBC Hall of Famer Tish Johnson Remains Undefeated at 2014 Senior Queens
- 7/01/2014: Four Players Remain Unbeaten; Tannya Roumimper, Liz Johnson and Kelly Kulick In Bracket Play
- 7/01/2014: Bill O’Neill Cruises to Victory in Oklahoma’s Grand Casino Resort PBA King of the Swing
- 7/01/2014: 2014 USBC QUEENS Winners Bracket Through Match Play Round 2
- 7/01/2014: 2014 USBC QUEENS Match Play Rounds 1 & 2 Live Streaming - Tune In NOW!
- 7/01/2014: 2014 USBC QUEENS: Asbaty, Kulick, Johnson, Dorin-Ballard and Shayna Ng Make Top 32
- 7/01/2014: 2014 UBA UNHOLY ALLIANCE III MIXED TRIPLES EVENT RESULTS