Bowling News USA - May 3, 2014 XGames Bowling Challenge Jason Belmonte v George Frilingos
Orange, Austrailia - Friday, May 2 saw the unveiling of a new format of tenpin bowling at the Orange Tenpin Bowl. Orange's own champion Jason Belmonte took on Queensland's George Frilingos under the head-to-head rules of XGames Bowling Challenge.
It was mate versus mate, NSW versus Queensland, and righties versus lefties on Friday night. Orange's Jason Belmonte, who is arguably the world's best tenpin bowler, took on good friend and top ranked Australian bowler George Frilingos in an XGames Bowling Challenge. Belmonte boasting back-to-back USBC Masters Titles and Frilingos recent Joondalup Cup Title back in February.
Belmonte took a 2-0 lead in the sets before Frilingos clawed his way back to win. It meant, once again, Queensland came out on top.
While Frilingos prevailed three sets to two, both came away from the contest with positive words for the format. “It’s such a difficult format that every shot counts,” Frilingos said. “Jason had me two sets up, and just shot after shot, you’ve got to keep in there, and it’s really difficult. It was really fun.”
Belmonte said the format added an extra challenge. “When you bowl over a 10-frame game the intensity tends to build from the first frame to the last frame,” Belmonte said. “In this particular format, the first ball out of the gate you’re up for points and every shot counts and you’re kind of in that intensity straight away.
“It’s incredibly draining over a five-set period. At the end of it I felt like I’d bowled probably the equivalent of a full weekend,” Belmonte added.
XGames Bowling uses a different scoring system, which is similar to tennis. This turns the match into a frame-by-frame contest, rather than over a standard 10 frame game.
XGames Bowling’s mission is to change Bowling, to introduce the same psychological competitive aspects evident in most sports, which currently do not exist in Bowling.
- 5/30/2014: The Bowling Foundation Announces In-School Bowling Educator of the Year
- 5/29/2014: Singapore International Women's Open: Shayna Ng Qualifies 1st, Rolling 300 Game With New Punch Out
- 5/28/2014: America’s Oldest Citizen Celebrates Her 115th Birthday, Retired From Bowling At 104
- 5/27/2014: Springfield 12-Year-Old boy bowls 2 Perfect Games Likens Belmonte's Style
- 5/23/2014: Storm's Loschetter and Belmonte Make PBA Oklahoma Open Stepladder Finals
- 5/22/2014: Belmo Sits 2nd in PBA Oklahoma Open Match Play
- 5/22/2014: More Than a Hobby, Bowling's a Career Right Up Leanne Hulsenberg's Alley
- 5/22/2014: PDW and Marshall Kent Qualify 2nd and 3rd Seeds At PBA Badger Open
- 5/21/2014: Rhino Makes PBA BEAR Stepladder Finals
- 5/20/2014: Storm Recognizes Loyalty With Staff Service Awards
- 5/20/2014: PBA Wolf Open Taken By Storm, 3 Staffers Make Stepladder Finals
- 5/14/2014: Storms Rolls Out New Balls In Hot and Tropical Lines
- 5/13/2014: ELITE Bowling Pro Shop Raises $11,318 for Rainbow Kids of Sheboygan
- 5/03/2014: XGames Bowling Challenge Jason Belmonte v George Frilingos