Bowling News USA - April 30, 2014 Ageless Pete Weber Running Over PBA50 Field in North Carolina
Feeling like he’s never bowled better, Storm's Pete Weber averaged 256 after second-round qualifying to lead a field of 40 players who advanced to match play in the PBA50 Miller High Life Classic presented by Columbia 300 Tuesday at George Pappas’ Victory Lanes.
The PBA Hall of Famer finished qualifying with a 4,100 16-game pinfall total (256.2 average) rocketing away from the field and his nearest competitor, fellow Hall of Famer Parker Bohn III who finished a distant second 258 pins behind with 3,842.
Weber, a 37-time PBA Tour winner and two-time winner on the PBA50 Tour, began his second eight-game round with games of 249, 279 and 300, which was his second perfect game of the tournament, and completed the round with games of 259, 255, 257, 231 and 279 for a 2,109 pinfall.
“If I had to describe it I would say that I feel cool, calm and collected,” said the 2013 PBA50 Rookie of the Year. “If I’m feeling relaxed, there’s a better chance of everything else taking care of itself.
“I’m more animated on the regular Tour than I am out here (on the PBA50 Tour) but I want the same result. It comes down to repeating good shots and wanting to win.”
Ron Mohr of Las Vegas, who qualified 10th, holds the 16-game qualifying record of 4,243 (265 average) and the eight-game block record of 2,160 (270 average) set in 2010 at the Senior Columbus Open.
While pinfall is dropped after qualifying, Weber receives a three-round bye heading into Wednesday’s match play rounds as a result of finishing qualifying in the top eight.
“The only thing I need to guard against is myself,” said the 51-year-old Weber. “Right now I’m in a comfort zone and if I get out of it I’ll have only myself to blame.”
Rounding out the top eight and also earning three-round byes in match play were: Hall of Famer and two-time defending PBA50 Player of the Year Walter Ray Williams Jr., 3,787; Hall of Famer and four-time PBA50 Player of the Year Tom Baker, 3,733; Gary Morgan, 3,721; Harry Sullins, 3,693; Mike Dias, 3,677, and Bob Learn Jr., 3,616. Defending tournament champion Lennie Boresch Jr., qualified ninth and earned a two-round bye for match play.
PBA.com’s online bowling channel Xtra Frame will provide coverage of Wednesday’s match play beginning at 10 a.m. ET and the championship rounds which are scheduled to get underway at 6:30 p.m. Click on the Xtra Frame logo on the pba.com homepage for subscription and schedule information.
PBA50 MILLER HIGH LIFE CLASSIC PRESENTED BY COLUMBIA 300
After Tuesday’s Second Round Qualifying (16 games)
At George Pappas’ Victory Lanes
a-amateur, s-super seniors (60 and over) out of regular prize fund cashing for $700.
1, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., 4,100.
2, Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J., 3,842.
3, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., 3,787.
4, Tom Baker, King, N.C., 3,733.
5, Gary Morgan, Marietta, Ga., 3,721.
6, Harry Sullins, Chesterfield Twp., Mich., 3,693.
7, Mike Dias, Lafayette, Colo., 3,677.
8, Bob Learn Jr., Erie, Pa., 3,616.
9, Lennie Boresch Jr., Kenosha, Wis., 3,587.
10, Ron Mohr, Las Vegas, 3,586.
11, Dennis Lane, Kingsport, Tenn., 3,583.
12, Ralph Brunt Jr., Ft. Pierce, Fla., 3,581.
13, Dennis Rakauskas, Apopka, Fla., 3,564.
14, Ron Profitt, Brookville, Ohio, 3,560.
15, Bryan Goebel, Shawnee, Kan., 3,542.
16, Bill McCorkle, Westerville, Ohio, 3,540.
17, Dick Gran, Hartville, Ohio, 3,537.
18, Stoney Baker, Canton, Ga., 3,535.
19, Ken Gibson, Greenville, S.C., 3,533.
20, Jack Jurek, Lackawanna, N.Y., 3,528.
21, Norm Duke, Clermont, Fla., 3,527.
22, Dale Csuhta, Wadsworth, Ohio, 3,526.
23, Timothy Kauble, Marion, Ohio, 3,521.
24, Johnny Petraglia, Jackson, N.J., 3,517.
25, Jeff Schrum, Cherryville, N.C., 3,511.
26, Ray Johnson, Battle Creek, Mich., 3,503.
27, Christopher Keane, Cape Coral, Fla., 3,494.
28, Wayne Webb, Columbus, Ohio, 3,475.
29, Thomas Ream, Tampa, Fla., 3,474.
30, (tie) Kenny Parks, Hammond, Ind., and Bill Henson, Westerville, Ohio, 3,462.
32, David Kneas, Annapolis, Md., 3,443.
33, (tie) Terry Metzner, Kentwood, Mich., and Greg McMahan, Dandridge, Tenn., 3,430.
35, Steve Easterday, Strasburg, Ohio, 3,426.
36, Doug O'Bryant, Jasper, Ga., 3,424.
37, Sammy Ventura, Syracuse, N.Y., 3,420.
38, a-Joe Biscardi, Wantagh, N.Y., 3,417.
39, Chuck Walker, Blaine, Tenn., 3,404.
40, Tommy Brodowski, New Hyde Park, N.Y., 3,402.
- 4/30/2014: Weber Nipped At The Wire...
- 4/30/2014: 2014 Mike Fagan Scholarship Tournament Results
- 4/30/2014: Bill and Barbara Chrisman Honored by BBIA…Bowl For the Cure Reaches One Million Mark!
- 4/30/2014: Storm InsideBowling.com Open Broadcast
- 4/30/2014: Ageless Pete Weber Running Over PBA50 Field in North Carolina
- 4/29/2014: Kelly's Travels
- 4/29/2014: Weber Leads PBA50 Miller High Life Classic
- 4/27/2014: This Just In....Matt McNeil is $10,000 Winner of Storm InsideBowling.com Open
- 4/26/2014: New USBC Hall of Famers Inducted in Reno...
- 4/25/2014: Yokobosky Named Caldwell College Bowling Coach
- 4/24/2014: Don't Miss Live Coverage of The 2014 InsideBowling.com Open Tournament This Weekend!
- 4/23/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show - Stay Loose!
- 4/23/2014: Mike Rose Jr., Scott Pohl Storm To Doubles Lead in Reno
- 4/22/2014: Norm Duke Returns to Winner's Circle in Epic PBA50 Final
- 4/19/2014: Harry Mickelson, David Chew Win High Roller 60 and Over Senior Events
- 4/17/2014: Dick Weber's Legacy Lives On!
- 4/17/2014: Scarborough's PBA50 900 Revisted...
- 4/16/2014: AJ Johnson, Tannya Roumimper Named Collegiate MVP's
- 4/15/2014: Duke Nipped at The Wire in PBA50 Opener
- 4/15/2014: Amos Gordon Reflects on 900 Series
- 4/14/2014: Norm Duke, Don Breeden Shine in PBA50 Tour Debuts
- 4/14/2014: Storm Testimonial - Jay Moorefield
- 4/14/2014: PBA League Concludes with Silver Lake Atom Splitters on Top...
- 4/11/2014: USBC Women's Championships Begin in Reno
- 4/11/2014: Rhino Page, Kelly Kulick Join USBC Board of Directors
- 4/11/2014: Former MLB Star Larry Walker Shoots 300 with Storm Marvel
- 4/10/2014: Bob Hart 100,000 Pins Celebration
- 4/09/2014: The PBA50 Tour Rolls This Weekend!
- 4/08/2014: Storm's Liz Johnson, Jason Belmonte Selected IBMA Bowlers of the Year...
- 4/08/2014: PBA League Elias Cup Finals Sunday on ESPN
- 4/07/2014: Bowling World Unites
- 4/07/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show - Lane Patterns
- 4/05/2014: Record Breaking Team Lead Change at USBC Open Championships
- 4/04/2014: PBA League Action, Sunday on ESPN
- 4/04/2014: Fitness For Bowling Blog with Heather D’Errico-CSCS, CPT, Fitness Specialist
- 4/04/2014: Wisconsin Team Vaults Into Lead at USBC Open Championships
- 4/02/2014: Hart Rolls Into Record Books in Reno...
- 4/01/2014: Hall of Famer Bob Hart Celebrates 100,000 Pins at USBC Open Championships