Bowling News USA - April 23, 2014 Mike Rose Jr., Scott Pohl Storm To Doubles Lead in Reno
RENO, Nev. - Just a few hours after their teammate tied for the Regular Doubles lead at the 2014 United States Bowling Congress Open Championships, Mike Rose Jr. of West Henrietta, N.Y., and Scott Pohl of Burnsville, Minn., secured the spot for themselves with a 1,403 total at the National Bowling Stadium.
Rose, a Storm staffer, and Pohl both have enjoyed individual success at the NBS, which includes a Regular All-Events title for Rose in 2007 and a 300 game for Pohl in their team event last year, but being able to share the spotlight makes the experience so much better.
"I was fortunate enough to win an eagle here in 2007, but what I would like the most is to have everyone on my team be able to share in that experience and have the same feeling I did when I won," said Rose, a 43-year-old right-hander, who has maintained a 219.7 average in his 15 USBC Open Championships appearances. "We're very glad we were able to take the lead tonight, and even though it's a longshot, it's a terrific feeling."
Pohl led the doubles effort Tuesday with a 727 series, and Rose added a 676 set to help them past Brian Waliczek of Frankenmuth, Mich., and Robert Wiley of Victor, N.Y., and Joe Janz of Beaver Dam, Wis., and Tim Damerow of Waupun, Wis., who previously shared the top spot with 1,378.
"I knew we were close, but we really don't think about scores a lot when we bowl together," said Pohl, a 45-year-old right-hander and former Team USA member, who made his 24th tournament appearance. "I just went up there hoping to make good shots. It's great to share doubles success with one of my best friends. And it's always nice to put up a good score in doubles, or any event, for that matter."
On Monday, the duo and their Team NABR teammates also made a run at the team lead, before a sluggish finish landed them in fifth place with a 3,495 total. It may not have been the ending they were hoping for, but it did give them a nice head start toward their quest for a Team All-Events title.
Waliczek bowled doubles and singles earlier in the day Tuesday and gave the group a 2,065 all-events effort to work with.
Team USA member Rob Gotchall of Clarksville, Tenn., who is one of 28 bowlers in tournament history with multiple perfect games on the championship lanes, was the high man for Team NABR with 2,172, which is fifth in Regular All-Events. He was followed by Waliczek, Adam Barta (2,012), Pohl (1,994) and Rose (1,926).
In the end, though, the group came up just short, settling into second place with a 10,169 total. Janz's H.I. of Beaver Dam, Wis., paced by Janz and Damerow, leads Team All-Events with 10,363. Anthony LaCaze of Melrose Park, Ill., leads Regular All-Events with 2,273.
- 4/30/2014: Weber Nipped At The Wire...
- 4/30/2014: 2014 Mike Fagan Scholarship Tournament Results
- 4/30/2014: Bill and Barbara Chrisman Honored by BBIA…Bowl For the Cure Reaches One Million Mark!
- 4/30/2014: Storm InsideBowling.com Open Broadcast
- 4/30/2014: Ageless Pete Weber Running Over PBA50 Field in North Carolina
- 4/29/2014: Kelly's Travels
- 4/29/2014: Weber Leads PBA50 Miller High Life Classic
- 4/27/2014: This Just In....Matt McNeil is $10,000 Winner of Storm InsideBowling.com Open
- 4/26/2014: New USBC Hall of Famers Inducted in Reno...
- 4/25/2014: Yokobosky Named Caldwell College Bowling Coach
- 4/24/2014: Don't Miss Live Coverage of The 2014 InsideBowling.com Open Tournament This Weekend!
- 4/23/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show - Stay Loose!
- 4/23/2014: Mike Rose Jr., Scott Pohl Storm To Doubles Lead in Reno
- 4/22/2014: Norm Duke Returns to Winner's Circle in Epic PBA50 Final
- 4/19/2014: Harry Mickelson, David Chew Win High Roller 60 and Over Senior Events
- 4/17/2014: Dick Weber's Legacy Lives On!
- 4/17/2014: Scarborough's PBA50 900 Revisted...
- 4/16/2014: AJ Johnson, Tannya Roumimper Named Collegiate MVP's
- 4/15/2014: Duke Nipped at The Wire in PBA50 Opener
- 4/15/2014: Amos Gordon Reflects on 900 Series
- 4/14/2014: Norm Duke, Don Breeden Shine in PBA50 Tour Debuts
- 4/14/2014: Storm Testimonial - Jay Moorefield
- 4/14/2014: PBA League Concludes with Silver Lake Atom Splitters on Top...
- 4/11/2014: USBC Women's Championships Begin in Reno
- 4/11/2014: Rhino Page, Kelly Kulick Join USBC Board of Directors
- 4/11/2014: Former MLB Star Larry Walker Shoots 300 with Storm Marvel
- 4/10/2014: Bob Hart 100,000 Pins Celebration
- 4/09/2014: The PBA50 Tour Rolls This Weekend!
- 4/08/2014: Storm's Liz Johnson, Jason Belmonte Selected IBMA Bowlers of the Year...
- 4/08/2014: PBA League Elias Cup Finals Sunday on ESPN
- 4/07/2014: Bowling World Unites
- 4/07/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show - Lane Patterns
- 4/05/2014: Record Breaking Team Lead Change at USBC Open Championships
- 4/04/2014: PBA League Action, Sunday on ESPN
- 4/04/2014: Fitness For Bowling Blog with Heather D’Errico-CSCS, CPT, Fitness Specialist
- 4/04/2014: Wisconsin Team Vaults Into Lead at USBC Open Championships
- 4/02/2014: Hart Rolls Into Record Books in Reno...
- 4/01/2014: Hall of Famer Bob Hart Celebrates 100,000 Pins at USBC Open Championships