Bowling News USA - April 22, 2014 Norm Duke Returns to Winner's Circle in Epic PBA50 Final
Bowling in his second PBA50 Tour tournament, after finishing second in last week’s season-opening Pasco County (Fla.) Open, Duke defeated four-time PBA50 Player of the Year and Roto Grip star Tom Baker of King, N.C., 256-228, in the title match at Spanish Springs Lanes.
“I tell you, there were more titles in that final than I can even think about so it makes winning that much more gratifying,” Duke said. “I’ve bowled against these guys on Tour so many times but it’s still the same – a battle for every game, a battle for every frame.”
(Tom Baker, Pete Weber, Norm Duke, Parker Bohn III, Walter Ray Williams Jr.)
In the opening match, Parker Bohn III of Jackson, N.J., also bowling in his second PBA50 Tour tournament, defeated two-time defending PBA50 Player of the Year and 2013 Sun Bowl In The Villages winner Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla., 287-268, to advance to the second match.
In a contest between the PBA50 Tour rookies, Duke defeated Bohn, 255-238, in the second match to advance to the semifinal. Duke then went on to beat 2013 PBA50 Rookie of the Year and fellow Storm staffer Pete Weber of St. Ann, Mo., 279-215, in the semifinal to set up the championship showdown against Baker.
Duke started the title match with the first seven strikes which ultimately proved too much for Baker to overcome.
“When the scores are high, the match is never over,” Duke said. “Tom is a great player so it inspires you to remain focused.”
In all, the five finalists represented 164 titles – 26 of them majors – won during their careers on the PBA Tour. Williams is the PBA Tour’s all-time titles leader with 47 wins, with Weber and Duke tied for third with 37 titles each. Bohn ranks sixth in career PBA Tour titles with 33 wins. Baker, a 10-time winner on the PBA50 Tour also has 10 PBA Tour titles.
Duke qualified third for the finals with the help of a 10-6 match play record earlier Tuesday which he described as one of the toughest tests he has experienced in his career.
“I think the past two days were the hardest two days I’ve experienced in a tournament in a long time,” Duke said. “It was physically demanding and as tough to win as any tournament I’ve ever bowled.”
The PBA50 Tour travels to Mooresville, N.C., for the Miller High Life Classic presented by Columbia 300 at George Pappas Victory Lanes in Mooresville, N.C., April 27-30. The Miller High Life Classic will be covered in its entirety on PBA’s online bowling channel Xtra Frame. Click on the Xtra Frame logo on the pba.com homepage for subscription and schedule information.
PBA50 UNITEDHEALTHCARE SUN BOWL IN THE VILLAGES PRESENTED BY RADICAL
At Spanish Springs Lanes
The Villages, Fla.,
Tuesday’s final results
1, Norm Duke, Clermont, Fla., $9,000 (Storm)
2, Tom Baker, King, N.C., $4,500. (Roto Grip)
3, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., $3,000. (Storm)
4, Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J., $2,500.
5, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., $2,000.
Match One: Bohn def. Williams, 287-268.
Match Two: Duke def. Bohn, 255-238.
Semifinal Match: Duke def. Weber, 279-215.
Championship: Duke def. Baker, 256-228.
Match play results after 32 games
Includes match play record, pinfall plus bonus and money earned. Top five advanced to stepadder finals.
1, Tom Baker, King, N.C., 13-3, 8,203.
2, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., 11-5, 8,032.
3, Norm Duke, Clermont, Fla., 10-6, 8,010.
4, Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J., 10-6, 7,967.
5, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., 11-5, 7,925.
6, Kevin Croucher, Grants Pass, Ore., 10-5-1, 7,866, $1,700.
7, Dennis Rakauskas, Apopka, Fla., 9-6-1, 7,834, $1,550.
8, Ralph Brunt Jr., Ft. Pierce, Fla., 10-6, 7,820, $1,500.
9, Bryan Goebel, Shawnee, Kan., 9-7, 7,755, $1,475.
10, (tie) a-Bo Goergen, Sanford, Mich., 6-10, and
Stephen Pavlinko, Sewell, N.J., 8-8, 7,723, $1,438.
12, Keith Glasgow, St. Petersburg, Fla., 12-4, 7,699, $1,400.
13, a-Al Runkel, Cincinnati, 6-9-1, 7,655, $1,375.
14, Harry Sullins, Chesterfield Twp., Mich., 5-10-1, 7,642, $1,350.
15, Terry Wiley, Vienna, Va., 8-7-1, 7,633, $1,325.
16, Steve Ferraro, Kingston, N.Y., 8-8, 7,535, $1,300.
Missed cut to final match play round:
Includes match play record total pinfall plus bonus for 24 games and money earned.
17, Randy Pedersen, Clermont, Fla., 4-4, 5,668, $1,200.
18, Amleto Monacelli, Venezuela, 4-4, 5,658, $1,180.
19, John Conroy, Mahopac, N.Y., 3-5, 5,635, $1,160.
20, Tommy Brodowski, New Hyde Park, N.Y., 3-5, 5,623, $1,140.
21, Bill Henson, Westerville, Ohio, 4-4, 5,602, $1,120.
22, Mike Dias, Lafayette, Colo., 4-4, 5,595, $1,100.
23, Brian Voss, Alpharetta, Ga., 3-5, 5,593, $1,090.
24, Sam Maccarone, Glassboro, N.J., 3-5, 5,581, $1,080.
25, Don Breeden, Clive, Iowa, 2-6, 5,552, $1,070.
26, Brian Cooper, Henderson, Nev., 2-6, 5,541, $1,060.
27, a-Darin Hays, Wesley Chapel, Fla., 3-5, 5,519, $1,050.
28, Robert Harvey, Boise, Idaho, 2-5-1, 5,511, $1,040.
29, Dale Eagle, Newport Beach, Calif., 1-7, 5,482, $1,030.
30, Jeff Schrum, Cherryville, N.C., 3-5, 5,461, $1,020.
31, Doug Evans, Southgate, Mich., 2-6, 5,412, $1,010.
32, Billy Block, Pembroke Pines, Fla., 0-8, 5,313, $1,000.
- 4/30/2014: Weber Nipped At The Wire...
- 4/30/2014: 2014 Mike Fagan Scholarship Tournament Results
- 4/30/2014: Bill and Barbara Chrisman Honored by BBIA…Bowl For the Cure Reaches One Million Mark!
- 4/30/2014: Storm InsideBowling.com Open Broadcast
- 4/30/2014: Ageless Pete Weber Running Over PBA50 Field in North Carolina
- 4/29/2014: Kelly's Travels
- 4/29/2014: Weber Leads PBA50 Miller High Life Classic
- 4/27/2014: This Just In....Matt McNeil is $10,000 Winner of Storm InsideBowling.com Open
- 4/26/2014: New USBC Hall of Famers Inducted in Reno...
- 4/25/2014: Yokobosky Named Caldwell College Bowling Coach
- 4/24/2014: Don't Miss Live Coverage of The 2014 InsideBowling.com Open Tournament This Weekend!
- 4/23/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show - Stay Loose!
- 4/23/2014: Mike Rose Jr., Scott Pohl Storm To Doubles Lead in Reno
- 4/22/2014: Norm Duke Returns to Winner's Circle in Epic PBA50 Final
- 4/19/2014: Harry Mickelson, David Chew Win High Roller 60 and Over Senior Events
- 4/17/2014: Dick Weber's Legacy Lives On!
- 4/17/2014: Scarborough's PBA50 900 Revisted...
- 4/16/2014: AJ Johnson, Tannya Roumimper Named Collegiate MVP's
- 4/15/2014: Duke Nipped at The Wire in PBA50 Opener
- 4/15/2014: Amos Gordon Reflects on 900 Series
- 4/14/2014: Norm Duke, Don Breeden Shine in PBA50 Tour Debuts
- 4/14/2014: Storm Testimonial - Jay Moorefield
- 4/14/2014: PBA League Concludes with Silver Lake Atom Splitters on Top...
- 4/11/2014: USBC Women's Championships Begin in Reno
- 4/11/2014: Rhino Page, Kelly Kulick Join USBC Board of Directors
- 4/11/2014: Former MLB Star Larry Walker Shoots 300 with Storm Marvel
- 4/10/2014: Bob Hart 100,000 Pins Celebration
- 4/09/2014: The PBA50 Tour Rolls This Weekend!
- 4/08/2014: Storm's Liz Johnson, Jason Belmonte Selected IBMA Bowlers of the Year...
- 4/08/2014: PBA League Elias Cup Finals Sunday on ESPN
- 4/07/2014: Bowling World Unites
- 4/07/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show - Lane Patterns
- 4/05/2014: Record Breaking Team Lead Change at USBC Open Championships
- 4/04/2014: PBA League Action, Sunday on ESPN
- 4/04/2014: Fitness For Bowling Blog with Heather D’Errico-CSCS, CPT, Fitness Specialist
- 4/04/2014: Wisconsin Team Vaults Into Lead at USBC Open Championships
- 4/02/2014: Hart Rolls Into Record Books in Reno...
- 4/01/2014: Hall of Famer Bob Hart Celebrates 100,000 Pins at USBC Open Championships