Bowling News USA - April 15, 2014 Amos Gordon Reflects on 900 Series
Amos Gordon of Colorado Springs, Colo., became the first bowler in the state of Colorado to roll three consecutive 300 games on his way to a 900 series on April 11.
Gordon used the Roto Grip Asylum.
The 29-year-old right-hander had 36 consecutive strikes at the Friday Night Mixed Early league at Thunder Alley Bowling Center in nearby Fort Carson, Colo., to become the 24th bowler in history to record a perfect series. The achievement is pending approval from the United States Bowling Congress and would be the 25th USBC-approved 900.
Glenn Allison bowled the first 900 series, which was not recognized by the American Bowling Congress, now the United States Bowling Congress.
Gordon's series bested the previous Colorado state record of 899, shot by Denver's Terry Weddel in 2011.
Although Gordon hadn't achieved an 800 series in certified competition prior to his performance Friday, he had been bowling well and had just missed hitting the 800 mark several times.
As the strikes started to add up Friday, Gordon still found himself more focused on helping his team win.
"The guy I was bowling against started with four in a row, so I was trying to keep up," Gordon said. "My mind was focused on trying to help the team win. We ended up barely winning each game."
The attention started to turn to Gordon after he finished his second 300, and Thunder Alley became quieter as he got closer to the final frame. In the 10th, he tried not to pay attention to his surroundings and deliver quality shots.
"Everyone started migrating towards our lanes after the second 300," Gordon said. "When I went to bowl, I didn't hear anything, which was crazy. When I got to the 10th frame, I tried not to pay attention to everyone taking pictures and videos. On the final shot, I took my time, made sure I got myself together and threw a great ball."
The emotions finally came out after the final strike was delivered, and Gordon hopes the achievement is a stepping stone in his bowling career.
"It means a great deal to me," Gordon said. "All of the hard work, focus and practice paid off, and it shows that if you put a lot into something, you can get great things back. I couldn't have achieved this goal without the love and support of my family. I'm going to stay humble and continue to practice and try to get better."
The first USBC-approved 900 occurred February 2, 1997 when Jeremy Sonnenfeld rolled three consecutive perfect games in Lincoln, Neb. There never has been a Sport-certified 900 series.
USBC-Approved 900 Series (25)
** Pending formal approval by the United States Bowling Congress.
Glenn Allison (R), La Habra, CA, July 1, 1982 (non sanctioned)
Jeremy Sonnenfeld (R), Lincoln, Neb., Feb. 2, 1997
Tony Roventini (L), Greenfield, Wis., Nov. 9, 1998
VINCE WOOD (R), MORENO VALLEY, CALIF., SEPT, 29, 1999
ROBBY PORTALATIN (L), JACKSON, MICH., DEC. 28, 2000
James Hylton (R), Salem, Ore., May 2, 2001
Jeff Campbell II (R), New Castle, Pa., June 12, 2004
Darin Pomije (R), New Prague, Minn., Dec. 9, 2004
ROBERT MUSHTARE (R), FORT DRUM, N.Y., DEC. 5, 2005 AND FEB. 19, 2006
LONNIE BILLITER JR. (R), FAIRFIELD, OHIO, FEB. 13, 2006
Mark Wukoman (R), Greenfield, Wis., April 22, 2006
P.J. Giesfeldt (R), Milwaukee, Dec. 23, 2006
Rich Jerome Jr. (R), Baltimore, Dec. 22, 2008
Chris Aker (L), Winnemucca, Nev., Oct. 30, 2009
Andrew Teall (R), Medford, N.J., Nov. 2, 2009
ANDREW MANK (R), BELLEVUE ILL., MARCH 18, 2010
William Howell III (L), Middletown, N.Y., Oct. 21, 2010
Matt Latarski (R), Medina, Ohio, Nov. 28, 2010
Bob Kammer Jr. (R), Crown Point, Ind., Jan. 8, 2011
John Martorella Sr. (R), Greece, N.Y., April 12, 2012
JIMMY SCHMITZER (R), RIVERSIDE, CALIF., APRIL 20, 2012
James Williams (R), Pawcatuck, Conn., (bowled in Wakefield, R.I.), April 16, 2013
JOE SCARBOROUGH (R), CHARLOTTE, N.C., (BOWLED IN THE VILLAGES, FLA.), APRIL 21, 2013
Todd James (R), East New Market, Md., (bowled in Laurel, Del.), March 18, 2014
AMOS GORDON (R), COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO., APRIL 11, 2014 **
(Bowled with Storm or Roto Grip equipment)
- 4/30/2014: Weber Nipped At The Wire...
- 4/30/2014: 2014 Mike Fagan Scholarship Tournament Results
- 4/30/2014: Bill and Barbara Chrisman Honored by BBIA…Bowl For the Cure Reaches One Million Mark!
- 4/30/2014: Storm InsideBowling.com Open Broadcast
- 4/30/2014: Ageless Pete Weber Running Over PBA50 Field in North Carolina
- 4/29/2014: Kelly's Travels
- 4/29/2014: Weber Leads PBA50 Miller High Life Classic
- 4/27/2014: This Just In....Matt McNeil is $10,000 Winner of Storm InsideBowling.com Open
- 4/26/2014: New USBC Hall of Famers Inducted in Reno...
- 4/25/2014: Yokobosky Named Caldwell College Bowling Coach
- 4/24/2014: Don't Miss Live Coverage of The 2014 InsideBowling.com Open Tournament This Weekend!
- 4/23/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show - Stay Loose!
- 4/23/2014: Mike Rose Jr., Scott Pohl Storm To Doubles Lead in Reno
- 4/22/2014: Norm Duke Returns to Winner's Circle in Epic PBA50 Final
- 4/19/2014: Harry Mickelson, David Chew Win High Roller 60 and Over Senior Events
- 4/17/2014: Dick Weber's Legacy Lives On!
- 4/17/2014: Scarborough's PBA50 900 Revisted...
- 4/16/2014: AJ Johnson, Tannya Roumimper Named Collegiate MVP's
- 4/15/2014: Duke Nipped at The Wire in PBA50 Opener
- 4/15/2014: Amos Gordon Reflects on 900 Series
- 4/14/2014: Norm Duke, Don Breeden Shine in PBA50 Tour Debuts
- 4/14/2014: Storm Testimonial - Jay Moorefield
- 4/14/2014: PBA League Concludes with Silver Lake Atom Splitters on Top...
- 4/11/2014: USBC Women's Championships Begin in Reno
- 4/11/2014: Rhino Page, Kelly Kulick Join USBC Board of Directors
- 4/11/2014: Former MLB Star Larry Walker Shoots 300 with Storm Marvel
- 4/10/2014: Bob Hart 100,000 Pins Celebration
- 4/09/2014: The PBA50 Tour Rolls This Weekend!
- 4/08/2014: Storm's Liz Johnson, Jason Belmonte Selected IBMA Bowlers of the Year...
- 4/08/2014: PBA League Elias Cup Finals Sunday on ESPN
- 4/07/2014: Bowling World Unites
- 4/07/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show - Lane Patterns
- 4/05/2014: Record Breaking Team Lead Change at USBC Open Championships
- 4/04/2014: PBA League Action, Sunday on ESPN
- 4/04/2014: Fitness For Bowling Blog with Heather D’Errico-CSCS, CPT, Fitness Specialist
- 4/04/2014: Wisconsin Team Vaults Into Lead at USBC Open Championships
- 4/02/2014: Hart Rolls Into Record Books in Reno...
- 4/01/2014: Hall of Famer Bob Hart Celebrates 100,000 Pins at USBC Open Championships