Bowling News USA - April 4, 2014 Wisconsin Team Vaults Into Lead at USBC Open Championships
RENO, NEV. - Tim Damerow of Waupun, Wis., did exactly what an anchor bowler is supposed to do as he delivered three strikes in his final frame to cap off the fourth perfect game of the 2014 UNITED STATES BOWLING CONGRESS OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS and lift his team into the lead at the National Bowling Stadium on Thursday.
The 46-year-old right-hander helped Janz's H. I. of Beaver Dam, Wis., to games of 1,081, 1,200 and 1,218 for a 3,499 total, which is tied for the seventh-highest score in 111 years of USBC Open Championships competition. Storm Products Inc. of Brigham City, Utah, previously held the lead this year with 3,341.
"I just tried to make it one shot at a time, that's all I was thinking," said Damerow, who made his seventh Open Championships appearance. "(Shooting 300) is one thing I've dreamt of since I've started coming here. It's a dream come true. I never expected it."
Damerow added games of 243 and 235 for a 778 series and was followed by Andy Bunkoske (718), Randy Hupf (716), Joe Janz (648) and Tim Janz (639).
11TH FRAME'S JEFF RICHGELS REPORTS THAT TIM JANZ USED A ZERO GRAVITY, JOE JANZ USED A HYPER CELL, BUNKOSKE A HYPER CELL/ZERO GRAVITY, HUPF AN IQ TOUR EDITION, AND DAMEROW A ZERO GRAVITY.
"We tried to start to the right to cut in a shot for us," Damerow said. "We moved accordingly, and it worked out perfect."
Last year at the NBS, a record 20 teams cracked the 3,400 mark, including 2013 Regular Team champion Lodge Lanes Too of Orlando, Fla., with a 3,538 total, the highest score in tournament history. John Gaines, a member of the 2014 USBC Hall of Fame Class, helped his team break the 20-year-old record of 3,537, held by Bruegger's Bagels of Albany, N.Y.
Janz's H. I. had that number in sight with two frames to go but faltered slightly as Damerow delivered the only strike in the ninth frame. Hupf also started the final game with eight consecutive strikes before leaving the 3-6 combination.
The group bounced back in the final frame with four of the five players throwing three strikes to put them back in a familiar position at the Open Championships.
Janz's H. I. finished in the top 60 four consecutive times from 2008-2011, including a sixth-place effort at the NBS in 2011. That year, they also rolled the first 3,400 of the event (3,407) but held the lead for just three days.
"Last time we were in this position, we shot 3,400 and thought at the time that was huge," said Hupf, who made his 14th trip down Center Aisle. "To come back with 3,499 was great bowling on everybody's part."
Now, the wait begins to see if this year's score is high enough to hold on until the 2014 Open Championships concludes July 13. Either way, the team continues to learn from each experience and work together to improve each time they're on the big stage.
"It goes back to the team," Hupf said. "It gets nerve-racking at the end. We try to settle each other down and make good shots. It's awesome."
Presenting sponsors for the 2014 USBC Open Championships include Circus Circus Reno, Eldorado Hotel Casino Reno and Silver Legacy Resort Casino
- 4/30/2014: Weber Nipped At The Wire...
- 4/30/2014: 2014 Mike Fagan Scholarship Tournament Results
- 4/30/2014: Bill and Barbara Chrisman Honored by BBIA…Bowl For the Cure Reaches One Million Mark!
- 4/30/2014: Storm InsideBowling.com Open Broadcast
- 4/30/2014: Ageless Pete Weber Running Over PBA50 Field in North Carolina
- 4/29/2014: Kelly's Travels
- 4/29/2014: Weber Leads PBA50 Miller High Life Classic
- 4/27/2014: This Just In....Matt McNeil is $10,000 Winner of Storm InsideBowling.com Open
- 4/26/2014: New USBC Hall of Famers Inducted in Reno...
- 4/25/2014: Yokobosky Named Caldwell College Bowling Coach
- 4/24/2014: Don't Miss Live Coverage of The 2014 InsideBowling.com Open Tournament This Weekend!
- 4/23/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show - Stay Loose!
- 4/23/2014: Mike Rose Jr., Scott Pohl Storm To Doubles Lead in Reno
- 4/22/2014: Norm Duke Returns to Winner's Circle in Epic PBA50 Final
- 4/19/2014: Harry Mickelson, David Chew Win High Roller 60 and Over Senior Events
- 4/17/2014: Dick Weber's Legacy Lives On!
- 4/17/2014: Scarborough's PBA50 900 Revisted...
- 4/16/2014: AJ Johnson, Tannya Roumimper Named Collegiate MVP's
- 4/15/2014: Duke Nipped at The Wire in PBA50 Opener
- 4/15/2014: Amos Gordon Reflects on 900 Series
- 4/14/2014: Norm Duke, Don Breeden Shine in PBA50 Tour Debuts
- 4/14/2014: Storm Testimonial - Jay Moorefield
- 4/14/2014: PBA League Concludes with Silver Lake Atom Splitters on Top...
- 4/11/2014: USBC Women's Championships Begin in Reno
- 4/11/2014: Rhino Page, Kelly Kulick Join USBC Board of Directors
- 4/11/2014: Former MLB Star Larry Walker Shoots 300 with Storm Marvel
- 4/10/2014: Bob Hart 100,000 Pins Celebration
- 4/09/2014: The PBA50 Tour Rolls This Weekend!
- 4/08/2014: Storm's Liz Johnson, Jason Belmonte Selected IBMA Bowlers of the Year...
- 4/08/2014: PBA League Elias Cup Finals Sunday on ESPN
- 4/07/2014: Bowling World Unites
- 4/07/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show - Lane Patterns
- 4/05/2014: Record Breaking Team Lead Change at USBC Open Championships
- 4/04/2014: PBA League Action, Sunday on ESPN
- 4/04/2014: Fitness For Bowling Blog with Heather D’Errico-CSCS, CPT, Fitness Specialist
- 4/04/2014: Wisconsin Team Vaults Into Lead at USBC Open Championships
- 4/02/2014: Hart Rolls Into Record Books in Reno...
- 4/01/2014: Hall of Famer Bob Hart Celebrates 100,000 Pins at USBC Open Championships