Bowling News USA - April 2, 2014 Hart Rolls Into Record Books in Reno...
United States Bowling Congress Hall of Famer Bob Hart of Suwanee, Ga., became the 14th bowler in 111 years of USBC Open Championships history to join the tournament's elite 100,000-Pin Club.
The 76-year-old right-hander entered the event just 472 pins shy of the milestone and solidified his place in the records books with a ringing 10 pin in the fifth frame of his third team game at the National Bowling Stadium on Tuesday.
Dozens of friends, fans and family members, including his wife Beverly, watched in person, while hundreds more tuned in live on BowlTV. USBC Managing Director of Tournaments Brian Lewis was in town to present Hart with the coveted crystal pin to commemorate the accomplishment.
Hart is a three-time titlist at the Open Championships, winning Regular Doubles, Regular All-Events and Team All-Events in 1974, and continued success earned him a spot in the USBC Hall of Fame in 1994.
Recent health issues made the months leading up to his 58th tournament appearance a little more challenging, but Hart worked hard to make sure he didn't miss his annual march down Center Aisle. Now, he's one step closer to the top of the career pinfall list, occupied by late USBC Hall of Famer Joe Norris, who knocked down 123,770 pins in a record-tying 71 events.
"You don't even realize how much this means until it's about to happen," said Hart, whose Open Championships career began at the 1954 tournament in Seattle. "You could really feel the electricity in the building, and that's what this sport is all about. I feel honored, but very humbled at the same time. What an amazing experience."
Hart finished his team event with games of 192, 192 and 177 for a 561 series and added 552 in doubles and 532 in singles for a 1,645 all-events total. He increased his career pinfall to 101,173.
"I had no idea all of these friends and family members and people I've met over the years through bowling all were going to be here," Hart said. "I knew it was going to be a memorable day, but it really turned out to be a lot of fun, too."
The next goal Hart will focus on is adding his name to the short list of bowlers who have reached 60 years of participation on the championship lanes. Entering the 2014 Open Championships, only 17 bowlers in history have eclipsed the 60-year mark, with two more scheduled for this year. Norris shares the participation record with fellow hall of famer Bill Doehrman.
Active participation leader Sylvester Thiel of Lake City, Minn., recently made his 69th tournament appearance, while active pinfall leader Bill Lillard Sr. of Houston will hit the lanes April 7 looking to add to his 121,434 career total.
Presenting sponsors for the 2014 USBC Open Championships include Circus Circus Reno, Eldorado Hotel Casino Reno and Silver Legacy Resort Casino Reno.
- 4/30/2014: Weber Nipped At The Wire...
- 4/30/2014: 2014 Mike Fagan Scholarship Tournament Results
- 4/30/2014: Bill and Barbara Chrisman Honored by BBIA…Bowl For the Cure Reaches One Million Mark!
- 4/30/2014: Storm InsideBowling.com Open Broadcast
- 4/30/2014: Ageless Pete Weber Running Over PBA50 Field in North Carolina
- 4/29/2014: Kelly's Travels
- 4/29/2014: Weber Leads PBA50 Miller High Life Classic
- 4/27/2014: This Just In....Matt McNeil is $10,000 Winner of Storm InsideBowling.com Open
- 4/26/2014: New USBC Hall of Famers Inducted in Reno...
- 4/25/2014: Yokobosky Named Caldwell College Bowling Coach
- 4/24/2014: Don't Miss Live Coverage of The 2014 InsideBowling.com Open Tournament This Weekend!
- 4/23/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show - Stay Loose!
- 4/23/2014: Mike Rose Jr., Scott Pohl Storm To Doubles Lead in Reno
- 4/22/2014: Norm Duke Returns to Winner's Circle in Epic PBA50 Final
- 4/19/2014: Harry Mickelson, David Chew Win High Roller 60 and Over Senior Events
- 4/17/2014: Dick Weber's Legacy Lives On!
- 4/17/2014: Scarborough's PBA50 900 Revisted...
- 4/16/2014: AJ Johnson, Tannya Roumimper Named Collegiate MVP's
- 4/15/2014: Duke Nipped at The Wire in PBA50 Opener
- 4/15/2014: Amos Gordon Reflects on 900 Series
- 4/14/2014: Norm Duke, Don Breeden Shine in PBA50 Tour Debuts
- 4/14/2014: Storm Testimonial - Jay Moorefield
- 4/14/2014: PBA League Concludes with Silver Lake Atom Splitters on Top...
- 4/11/2014: USBC Women's Championships Begin in Reno
- 4/11/2014: Rhino Page, Kelly Kulick Join USBC Board of Directors
- 4/11/2014: Former MLB Star Larry Walker Shoots 300 with Storm Marvel
- 4/10/2014: Bob Hart 100,000 Pins Celebration
- 4/09/2014: The PBA50 Tour Rolls This Weekend!
- 4/08/2014: Storm's Liz Johnson, Jason Belmonte Selected IBMA Bowlers of the Year...
- 4/08/2014: PBA League Elias Cup Finals Sunday on ESPN
- 4/07/2014: Bowling World Unites
- 4/07/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show - Lane Patterns
- 4/05/2014: Record Breaking Team Lead Change at USBC Open Championships
- 4/04/2014: PBA League Action, Sunday on ESPN
- 4/04/2014: Fitness For Bowling Blog with Heather D’Errico-CSCS, CPT, Fitness Specialist
- 4/04/2014: Wisconsin Team Vaults Into Lead at USBC Open Championships
- 4/02/2014: Hart Rolls Into Record Books in Reno...
- 4/01/2014: Hall of Famer Bob Hart Celebrates 100,000 Pins at USBC Open Championships