Bowling News USA - January 26, 2014 Belmo Conquers Tournament of Champions
Strike on final ball clinches one-pin victory over Roto Grip's Wes Malott
ALLEN PARK, Mich. (Jan. 26, 2014) – Storm star Jason Belmonte, with a strike on his final ball, defeated Wes Malott of Pflugerville, Texas, to win the Barbasol Professional Bowlers Association Tournament of Champions. Belmonte, a 30-year-old two-handed player, defeated Malott, 219-218, after earning the top berth in the stepladder finals by 363 pins over Storm's Dom Barrett, but he escaped with his one-pin victory when Malott left an 8 pin on his first shot in the 10th frame.
Belmonte used the new Roto Grip Uproar on the telecast and almost the entire T of C.
"THE UPROAR GAVE BELMO A CLEAN ROUTE THROUGH THE HEADS AND IT WAS POPPING WENT IT HIT THE FRICTION DOWN LANE," SAID STORM/ROTO GRIP TOUR REPRESENTATIVE DEL BALLARD JR. "LEAGUE BOWLERS ARE GOING TO LOVE IT, ESPECIALLY IF THEY BOWL ON QUITE A BIT OF FRICTION."
The win marked the fifth 'Major' in a row for Storm and Roto Grip staffers.
Belmonte collected his eighth career victory and second PBA major title just a week after being named 2012-13 PBA Player of the Year. He also earned $40,000 and a celebratory Barbasol shaving cream pie-in-the-fame from close friend and fellow competitor Bill O’Neill.
“I got extremely lucky,” Belmonte said. “When it really counted, I didn’t throw a good shot and gave Wes a chance. I was pretty sure he was going to win. I couldn’t believe it when I looked up and saw the 8 pin standing.”
The victory avenged Belmonte’s 214-156 loss to Malott in the 2013 U.S. Open title match, another tournament Belmonte had dominated until the final game.
"Other than the U.S. Open, this was one of my best start-to-finish performances ever,” Belmonte said. “I’m extremely proud to put my name on this trophy.
"To win a major championship and player of the year in the same week? That’s pretty tough to beat,” he grinned.
Malott advanced to the title match with a 205-202 victory over Barrett, the 2013 PBA World Champion, in a contest where strikes were hard to come by late in the game. Barrett failed to convert the 2-8-10 split in the seventh frame, giving Malott the edge. But Malott was unable to take advantage, leaving four consecutive 10 pins to keep Barrett in the match. Needing a strike on his first shot in the 10th frame to win, Barrett also left a 10 pin.
In the second match, Dan MacLelland made a fatal mistake when he left the 4-6-7-10 split in the fourth frame and failed to convert. Malott struck on eight of his final nine shots to race away with a 248-199 win to end MacLelland’s hopes of becoming the first Canadian to win a PBA Tour title.
In the opening match, MacLelland, a fifth-year PBA player making his seventh career television appearance, eliminated defending Tournament of Champions winner Pete Weber of St. Ann, Mo., 259-211. Weber, a 37-time PBA champion who was making his 133rd television appearance, made two uncharacteristic mistakes – failing to convert the 3-10 split in the first frame and missing the 3-6-10 in the fifth – and MacLelland answered with a string of eight strikes to end the 51-year-old Weber’s bid for a record 11th PBA major title.
PBA coverage continues on ESPN next Sunday at 4 p.m. ET with the PBA Super Clash featuring a showdown match between 2011-12 PBA Player of the Year Sean Rash of Montgomery, Ill., vs. newly-named 2012-13 PBA Player of the Year Jason Belmonte of Australia followed by a CP3 PBA Remix at 5:30 p.m. Coverage of the 2014 PBA League season begins on ESPN on Sunday, Feb. 9, at 3 p.m. ET.
BARBASOL PROFESSIONAL BOWLERS ASSOCIATION TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS
Thunderbowl Lanes, Allen Park, Mich., Sunday
1, Jason Belmonte, Australia, $40,000.
2, Wes Malott, Pflugerville, Texas, $20,000.
3, Dom Barrett, England, $14,000.
4, Dan MacLelland, Canada, $12,000.
5, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., $10,000.
Match One: MacLelland def. Weber, 259-211.
Match Two: Malott def. MacLelland, 248-199.
Semifinal Match: Malott def. Barrett, 205-202
Championship: Belmonte def. Malott, 219-218.
About the PBA
The Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) is an organization of more than 3,200 of the best bowlers from 17 countries who compete in PBA Tour, PBA International Tour, PBA Regional and PBA50 Tour events. The PBA is in its 55th consecutive year of national televised competition, reaching more than one million American households and thousands more around the world who watch PBA activities on Xtra Frame, the PBA’s exclusive online bowling channel. PBA sponsors include Barbasol, Brunswick, Ebonite International, GEICO, Jack Link’s, MOTIV, Storm Products and the United States Bowling Congress, among others. For more information, log on to www.pba.com.
- 1/31/2014: 2014 True Amateur Tournament Rolls in Vegas!
- 1/31/2014: Friday Fun Day - Enter The BIG GAME Props Contest!
- 1/29/2014: Storm's Ed Roberts Second in France!
- 1/28/2014: Belmo vs. Rash in PBA Super Clash
- 1/27/2014: The Bowling Clip That Captured The National Spotlight!
- 1/26/2014: Belmo Conquers Tournament of Champions
- 1/25/2014: 2014 Military Bowling Championships Results
- 1/21/2014: Major Domination....Storm/Roto Grip Staffers Earn Four of Five Finalist Spots at T of C
- 1/21/2014: Clay Rees Takes 2014 Storm Utah Open
- 1/21/2014: Belmonte Mauling The Field at T oF C..One Round of Matchplay To Go...
- 1/21/2014: Forkel is Marvel-S on SNBT Tour!
- 1/20/2014: Belmo In Control After One Round of Match Play at Tournament of Champions...Dom Second
- 1/20/2014: Jamie Bottomley, Haylee Rumkee Victorious at Storm Irish Open
- 1/19/2014: WRW, Ben Laughlin, Greg Young Win on ESPN Tripleheader...
- 1/19/2014: Belmo Remains on Top After Three Rounds at T of C
- 1/18/2014: Storm's Jason Belmonte Leads T of C after Two Rounds..Loschetter Second with Fusion!
- 1/17/2014: Belmo Wins PBA Player of the Year!
- 1/17/2014: Ryan Shafer Wins PBA Steve Nagy Sportsmanship Award
- 1/16/2014: Bryan Bowers Wins First Greater Iowa Bowling Association Title
- 1/15/2014: Pete Weber Looks to Defend Title at 2014 PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/14/2014: Weber, Belmo, Rash in the Running For 2013 PBA Player of The Year
- 1/13/2014: Dom Finishes Second at BallMaster Open
- 1/13/2014: Bo Loves The IQ Tour...
- 1/12/2014: Impressive Debut For the IQ™ Tour Fusion on Japan Cup Show...
- 1/10/2014: Team USA Trials Conclude in Las Vegas
- 1/10/2014: Belmo's Google Glass Perfection
- 1/10/2014: Friday Fun Day - Polar Vortex Bowling
- 1/09/2014: PDW, Mark Williams, Ryan Shafer, Tom Baker Win PBA Regional Awards
- 1/09/2014: PBA50 Tour Releases 2014 Schedule
- 1/08/2014: InsideBowling.com Clip Makes David Letterman Show
- 1/07/2014: Catch Osku on ESPN Sunday!
- 1/06/2014: Dom Repeats as Bowler of the Month
- 1/05/2014: Kelly Kulick Cruises at World Bowling Tour Championships
- 1/04/2014: PBA Player of The Year Announcement on Xtra Frame
- 1/02/2014: World Tenpin Finals Sunday on ESPN...