Bowling News USA - January 13, 2014 Bo Loves The IQ Tour...
PBA Hall of Famer Nelson "Bo" Burton Jr. has added yet another chapter to his storied career.
A member of the Professional Bowlers Association and United States Bowling Congress halls of fame, Burton rolled an incredible 33 strikes in his first three games in the Friday Senior Doubles league at Jensen Beach Bowl.
(1984 Angle Open - Bo Burton vs. Pete Weber)
Burton used the Storm IQ™ Tour.
Burton reeled off 12 consecutive strikes for a 300 game, rolled the front 10 strikes for a 288 game, and opened the third game with a spare followed by the last 11 strikes for a 290 game.
The 878 series is a personal best for Burton, the highest three-game series on the Treasure Coast, his second house record (Stuart Bowl is the other), and the fifth- highest ever by a senior bowler in sanctioned competition.
Burton was elected to the PBA Hall of Fame in 1979. His final PBA tour title came in 1984 at the AMF Angle Open in his hometown of St. Louis. In that tournament, Burton set a record for a televised four-game pin total with a combined score of 1,050 (278-279-257-236). This record stood until 1995 when it was broken by David Ozio with a score of 1,070; that record fell in 1996 when Bob Learm Jr., famously shot 300 in the televised finals of a tournament in his hometown of Erie, PA en route to a now-record four-game total of 1,129. Burton, Jr. was ranked #15 on the PBA's 2008 list of "50 Greatest Players of the Last 50 Years."
In 1975, Burton became the color analyst on ABC's Saturday afternoon telecast, The Pro Bowlers Tour working with veteran sportscaster Chris Schenkel. He replaced Billy Welu who had died the previous year. Burton spent nearly 23 years (1975 to 1997) with ABC. From 1978 to 1997, he hosted a bowling Tip Of The Week, usually after the second televised match. Burton also continued to compete on the PBA Tour part-time, and would even make the TV finals in some events (his broadcast backup on those occasions was usually Dick Weber He and Schenkel were still working together when ABC ceased production of the series in June 1997.
After leaving ABC, Burton moved to ESPN and spent one year in 1998 providing analysis for select PBA broadcasts.
In August 2007, Burton and Marshal Holman were the broadcasters for the 2007 U.S Women's Open in Reno, Nevada on ESPN. The early rounds of the event were taped that month and aired every Sunday afternoon over the course of four weeks, starting Sept. 16. The live televised finals aired on Oct. 14, and Liz Johnson.won the event. It was Bo's first national broadcasting work in nearly ten years. He also handled the broadcast of the 2008 U.S Women's Open, once again teaming with Holman.
Burton Jr. returned to the ABC broadcast booth for the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions. The first ABC broadcast of a PBA event since 1997.
- 1/31/2014: 2014 True Amateur Tournament Rolls in Vegas!
- 1/31/2014: Friday Fun Day - Enter The BIG GAME Props Contest!
- 1/29/2014: Storm's Ed Roberts Second in France!
- 1/28/2014: Belmo vs. Rash in PBA Super Clash
- 1/27/2014: The Bowling Clip That Captured The National Spotlight!
- 1/26/2014: Belmo Conquers Tournament of Champions
- 1/25/2014: 2014 Military Bowling Championships Results
- 1/21/2014: Major Domination....Storm/Roto Grip Staffers Earn Four of Five Finalist Spots at T of C
- 1/21/2014: Clay Rees Takes 2014 Storm Utah Open
- 1/21/2014: Belmonte Mauling The Field at T oF C..One Round of Matchplay To Go...
- 1/21/2014: Forkel is Marvel-S on SNBT Tour!
- 1/20/2014: Belmo In Control After One Round of Match Play at Tournament of Champions...Dom Second
- 1/20/2014: Jamie Bottomley, Haylee Rumkee Victorious at Storm Irish Open
- 1/19/2014: WRW, Ben Laughlin, Greg Young Win on ESPN Tripleheader...
- 1/19/2014: Belmo Remains on Top After Three Rounds at T of C
- 1/18/2014: Storm's Jason Belmonte Leads T of C after Two Rounds..Loschetter Second with Fusion!
- 1/17/2014: Belmo Wins PBA Player of the Year!
- 1/17/2014: Ryan Shafer Wins PBA Steve Nagy Sportsmanship Award
- 1/16/2014: Bryan Bowers Wins First Greater Iowa Bowling Association Title
- 1/15/2014: Pete Weber Looks to Defend Title at 2014 PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/14/2014: Weber, Belmo, Rash in the Running For 2013 PBA Player of The Year
- 1/13/2014: Dom Finishes Second at BallMaster Open
- 1/13/2014: Bo Loves The IQ Tour...
- 1/12/2014: Impressive Debut For the IQ™ Tour Fusion on Japan Cup Show...
- 1/10/2014: Team USA Trials Conclude in Las Vegas
- 1/10/2014: Belmo's Google Glass Perfection
- 1/10/2014: Friday Fun Day - Polar Vortex Bowling
- 1/09/2014: PDW, Mark Williams, Ryan Shafer, Tom Baker Win PBA Regional Awards
- 1/09/2014: PBA50 Tour Releases 2014 Schedule
- 1/08/2014: InsideBowling.com Clip Makes David Letterman Show
- 1/07/2014: Catch Osku on ESPN Sunday!
- 1/06/2014: Dom Repeats as Bowler of the Month
- 1/05/2014: Kelly Kulick Cruises at World Bowling Tour Championships
- 1/04/2014: PBA Player of The Year Announcement on Xtra Frame
- 1/03/2014: Friday Fun Day - Beat End of Holiday Doldrums
- 1/02/2014: World Tenpin Finals Sunday on ESPN...