Bowling News USA - December 9, 2013 Tune into ESPN Sunday for Chameleon Championship...Post Game with Brian Kretzer, Dom Barrett!
Storm's Dom Barrett advanced from sixth place to first claiming the No. 1 berth in the Professional Bowlers Association’s Chameleon Championship stepladder finals at South Point Bowling Center, the third of five events that compose the PBA World Series of Bowling V.
Barrett, who won his only PBA Tour title in the 2011 Scorpion Championship, will lead a field of four into the Chameleon Championship finals on ESPN Sunday, Dec. 15, at 1 p.m. ET. Also winning berths in the championship round were Roto Grip's Brian Kretzer of Dayton, Ohio; Ryan Ciminelli of Cheektowaga, N.Y., and 2010 PBA World Champion Tom Smallwood of Saginaw, Mich.
It was the third WSOB tournament in a row that a Storm and Roto Grip Staffer made an ESPN final.
The Storm WSOB V Post Game Show was broadcast live from South Point. Host Mike Flanagan was joined by Storm's Jim Callahan, Louie Wemett and PBA Champion Jack Jurek. Storm National Tour Representative Del Ballard, Kretzer and Barrett also were featured.
Barrett rolled the only 300 game in the semifinal round finishing with a 14-game total of 3,246 pins to win the top seat in the stepladder finals by 13 pins over Kretzer, who also is a one-time PBA Tour title winner. Ciminelli, who earned the top berth in the Viper Championship presented by PBA Bowling Challenge Sunday night, is the first player in World Series V to qualify for two telecasts. Smallwood won the fourth spot by four pins over Patrick Allen of Wesley Chapel, Fla., who earlier in the round called a foul on himself, costing him a place in the stepladder finals.
“It was a great run, perfect, couldn’t have worked out better,” Barrett said. “I won my title on the old Scorpion pattern, which is very similar to the new Chameleon lane condition, and it really matched up well to my game. I used the knowledge I’ve gotten from bowling in this center before and it helped me a lot.
“I’m over the moon,” he said with a grin. “I’ve bowled the best this week that I’ve ever bowled in my life, and this is the World Series, the biggest event there is. I had a couple of down moments in (the Viper Championship semifinal round) last night, but I went to bed, thought about it and woke up with a new attitude.”
Barrett went into the Viper semifinal round as the tournament leader, but fell to 13th place by the end of the round.
Earlier, the field of 235 players completed the third of four qualifying rounds for the PBA World Championship. The combined seven-game qualifying scores from the four animal pattern tournaments – Cheetah, Viper, Chameleon and Tuesday’s Scorpion Championship – will determine the top 24 players who will advance to World Championship round-robin match play on Wednesday and Thursday. After the Chameleon round, Barrett led World Championship qualifying with 5,046 pins, followed by Wes Malott of Pflugerville, Texas, with a 4,905 total and Jason Belmonte of Australia in third place with 4,836 pins.
All qualifying rounds from the World Series were covered live on PBA’s Xtra Frame online bowling channel, and via “live scoring” on pba.com. For daily, monthly or yearly subscriptions to Xtra Frame, click on the Xtra Frame link on the pba.com home page.
PBA CHAMELEON CHAMPIONSHIP
South Point Bowling Center, Las Vegas, Monday
FIRST ROUND STANDINGS (after 7 games, top 24 advance to semifinal round)
1, Dom Barrett, England, 3,246.
2, Brian Kretzer, Dayton, Ohio, 3,233.
3, Ryan Ciminelli, Cheektowaga, N.Y., 3,211.
4, Tom Smallwood, Saginaw, Mich., 3,198.
- 12/31/2013: The Best Way to Torch 200 Calories!
- 12/29/2013: Dom Barrett Wins PBA World Championship with the BYTE!
- 12/27/2013: Friday Fun Day - How To Pick Up The 7 - 10...
- 12/26/2013: Liz Johnson Over Wes Malott at 53rd Annual Beat The Champs.
- 12/24/2013: Storm WSOB V Post Game Shows - 2013 PBA World Championship
- 12/23/2013: Storm Young Gun Marshall Kent Impresses Bowling World at PBA Scorpion Championship...
- 12/20/2013: Friday Fun Day - The Infamous Backward Bowler!
- 12/18/2013: The Best Balls Make The Perfect Gifts!
- 12/17/2013: Storm's PJ Haggerty Knocks Off 7th PBA Regional Title in Reno!
- 12/17/2013: Storm's Marshall Kent, Hall of Famer Bob Hart on Storm WSOB V Post Game Show!
- 12/17/2013: Storm's Eric Forkel Rolls To 14th SNBT Title...
- 12/17/2013: Jones Wins 7th Kingdom International Open in Saudi Arabia
- 12/15/2013: In The Bag - 2013 PBA Chameleon Championship
- 12/10/2013: This Just In - Storm's Dom Barrett Wins Third PBA Title in Qatar...
- 12/10/2013: Chuck Groat Wins Grand Finals on Storm Northwest Tour
- 12/09/2013: Tune into ESPN Sunday for Chameleon Championship...Post Game with Brian Kretzer, Dom Barrett!
- 12/08/2013: In The Bag - 2013 PBA Viper Championship
- 12/07/2013: Thomas Larsen Wins First PBA Title in Abu Dhabi...Dom, Osku, Fourth, Fifth
- 12/06/2013: Friday Fun Day - Bowling Madness
- 12/03/2013: Catch Belmo. Stu Williams on ESPN Sunday!
- 12/01/2013: Malott Marches To 2013 PBA Cheetah Championship Victory