Bowling News USA - November 24, 2013 Andres Gomez, Rocio Restrepo Victorious at 2013 Colombian National Championships
Long-time Colombian national team members Andres Gomez and Rocio Restrepo of Bogotá emerged as the Masters champions to conclude the 2013 Colombian National Championships.
The Championships, which was held at Alberto Galino Sport Unit Bowling Coliseum in Cali, host of the 2113 World Games, from November 12-17, drew 89 players from eleven departments, Antioquia, Atlantico, Boyaca, Cundinamarca, Narino, Quindio, Risaralda, Santander, Tolima, Valle and the Capital District of Bogotá.
Like in major bowling championships, 58 men and 31 women competed in separate divisions for gold, silver and bronze medals in Singles, Doubles, Trios, Teams, All-Events and Masters.
The top eight players in All-Events based on the individual total pinfall in Singles, Doubles, Trios, and Teams advanced to the Masters competition to bowl seven games round robin match play including bonus pins to cut to the top four who bowled for the title in head-to-head matches.
Entering the Masters event, Gomez, a two-time PBA champion and Storm staffer had won gold medals in each discipline including All-Events which he won by 686 pins. With the 24-game total carried forward into the Round of 8, Gomez easily maintained the pole position to earn the No. 1 seed for the finals.
He flew past fourth-seeded Oscar Rodriguez, Bogotá, in the semifinal, 243-150, and then defeated No. 3 seed Fabio Garcia from Quindio, in the title match, 243-220, to sweep all six gold medals in the men's division.
Garcia edged No. 2 Jaime Gonzalez, Risaralda, in the other semifinal match in the third one-ball roll-off after a 191-191 tie. Both players struck on their first two shots before Garcia escaped with a 9-8 win. Shown right is the men's podium.
Restrepo, who won the titles in Trios and Team as well as silver in Singles and All-Events, maintained second place in the Round of 8 to bowl her team mate, Singles champion Natalia Rico, seeded second, in the semifinals.
Restrepo advanced to the title match, 245-192, to meet No. 4 seed Laura Lopez, Risaralda, who stunned the top-seeded All-Events champion Anggie Ramirez, Bogotá, in the other semifinal match, 235-183.
Restrepo defeated Lopez in the title match, 220-183, to claim her third gold medal of the Championships.
- 11/29/2013: Storm's Osku Palermaa Hopes To Keep Storm Streak Alive in Japan...
- 11/25/2013: The PBA Tour is Back on ESPN Sunday!
- 11/24/2013: Andres Gomez, Rocio Restrepo Victorious at 2013 Colombian National Championships
- 11/23/2013: Aviram, Lagrange Champions of 49th QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup
- 11/23/2013: PBA's 'Blue Oil" Getting National Media Attention!
- 11/22/2013: Friday Reflection
- 11/21/2013: Lagrange, Guerra and McEwan Pace 49th QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup
- 11/19/2013: Happy Birthday Hy-Road!
- 11/16/2013: PBA Hall of Famer Billy Hardwick Passes Away...
- 11/14/2013: Storm/Roto Grip Staffers Ready For 2013 Japan Cup
- 11/14/2013: Catch Belmo Interview on Above180.com
- 11/12/2013: Please Help The People of the Philippines...
- 11/11/2013: Storm Supports Our Veterans!
- 11/11/2013: Storm's Bob Hart is on The Mend
- 11/11/2013: Iowa's Don Breeden Storms To Iowa Open Win
- 11/08/2013: Friday Fun Day - Randy's Most Memorable Vegas Moment
- 11/05/2013: PBA League Draft Completes Rosters