Bowling News USA - November 21, 2013 Lagrange, Guerra and McEwan Pace 49th QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup
Caroline Lagrange of Canada rolled her second 1500-series in the fourth round of the 49th QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup Thursday at Sharovaya Molniya bowling center in Krasnoyarsk, Siberia, Russia, to win the women's qualifying as the 64-player field was cut to the top 24.
Lagrange, who is looking for her second World Cup title after her victory four years ago in Melaka, Malaysia, averaged 251.17 and toppled 1507 pins including games of 289, 214, 244, 258, 276 and 226 for 5956 and an overall average of 248.17 to widen her lead to 205 pins after 24 games.
There were no changes in the top 6 in this round and the top 24 players remained the same. The players in position 2-5 rolled 1400-series.
Two-time World Cup champion Aumi Guerra of the Dominican Republic had the second-highest 1464 series to maintain second place with 5751 and an average of 239.63. Guerra, who was in the championship match in the last three years winning the title in 2010 and 2011 and finishing second in 2012, started her round with back-to-back 269 games.
Danielle McEwan currently holds the third and last spot to make the cut to the stepladder finals on Saturday with 5649 (235.38). The Team USA member, who had a 300 game in last year's event in Wroclaw, Poland, but missed the stepladder finals by one spot finishing fourth, used high games of 277 and 259 for 1405.
Cherie Tan of Singapore rebounded from a 1319 series on day three with 1426 including a 287 game to maintain fourth place with 5605 (233.54).
Maria Lourdes Arles Philippines, set the highlight of the fourth qualifying day by rolling the 12th 300 game of the tournament and the second by a woman (Lagrange had the first).
The Filipino started her series with a sub-par 197 game before followed by the perfecto and a 279 in game three. She closed out with 215, 204 and 237 for 1432 to stay in fifth place with 5563 (231.79).
There was a 100-pin gap between Arles and sixth place Thashaina Seraus of Aruba, who had a 1368 series today and 5463 total (227.63). Thanks to a 1325 series Luminita Farkas Bucin, Romania, overtook Evgeniya Zelenkova of Russia to leap one spot into seventh place with 5388 (224.50).
Zelenkova had the lone series under 1200 (1198) of the top 24 players to slip from seventh to 14th place with 5266 (219.42).
Rounding out the top 8, who will survive the second cut after 32 games, was Finland's Roosa Lundén, who had all games between 258 and 205 for 1371 to leap one place with 5384 (224.33).
Merlina San Nicolas of Mexico, who started the last block just 11 pins above the cut line rolled the lone 1300 series (1333) of the players ranked 18th to 24th to leap on spot to 22nd place and to stay well ahead of the cut with 5097 (212.38).
As in the previous three rounds, Nataliya Shcherbinina of Ukraine also finished the last qualifying day in 24th place to take the final spot to advance to the next round with 5002 or an average of 208.42.
The top 24 women will return Friday at 8 a.m. Krasnoyarsk Time (CET -7 hours; EST -13 hours) for the Round of 24. All other women were eliminated and have two days of vacation until the Victory Banquet starts Saturday at 8 p.m.
- 11/29/2013: Storm's Osku Palermaa Hopes To Keep Storm Streak Alive in Japan...
- 11/25/2013: The PBA Tour is Back on ESPN Sunday!
- 11/24/2013: Andres Gomez, Rocio Restrepo Victorious at 2013 Colombian National Championships
- 11/23/2013: Aviram, Lagrange Champions of 49th QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup
- 11/23/2013: PBA's 'Blue Oil" Getting National Media Attention!
- 11/21/2013: Lagrange, Guerra and McEwan Pace 49th QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup
- 11/19/2013: Happy Birthday Hy-Road!
- 11/16/2013: PBA Hall of Famer Billy Hardwick Passes Away...
- 11/14/2013: Storm/Roto Grip Staffers Ready For 2013 Japan Cup
- 11/14/2013: Catch Belmo Interview on Above180.com
- 11/12/2013: Please Help The People of the Philippines...
- 11/11/2013: Storm Supports Our Veterans!
- 11/11/2013: Storm's Bob Hart is on The Mend
- 11/11/2013: Iowa's Don Breeden Storms To Iowa Open Win
- 11/08/2013: Friday Fun Day - Randy's Most Memorable Vegas Moment
- 11/05/2013: PBA League Draft Completes Rosters