Bowling News USA - August 27, 2013 Team Korea Takes Women's Trio's in a Thriller...
Though it were the top seeded Koreans, who had chosen to bowl on the 33-feet short oil pattern (Sydney), Singles World Champion Ryu and her team mate Son struggled and opened twice in the first seven frames on the very challenging condition, but Lee kept the hopes for the second gold medal of the championships alive with four-bagger in frames 5-8.
Rioux had a four-bagger in frames 3 thru 6 and Lagrange struck on five of her first six shots for the Canadians, who were targeting a sweep of the gold medals in Trios after the men's victory yesterday. They took the lead in the third frame and widened it to 34 pins heading into the last two frames, but the match was far from being over.
Only one player on each side struck in the 9th frame (Rioux and Son), but due to an open frame by How, the Koreans cut narrowed the gap to 17 pins. Rioux got away with Brooklyn strike on her first shot in the 10th, but Ryu countered with a double.
How and Lee marked in the last frame which put a lot of pressure on Son as she definitely needed the first strike and even to strike out to force Lagrange to throw strike-spare for a 598-598 tie.
When Son got a strike on her first shot, Lagrange stepped on the approach and calmly rolled the ball in the pocket … but got a disastrous 7-10 split. As she was unable to convert the split (Swede Martin Larsen accomplished the feat earlier this week), Son needed a nine-count on her next shot to win by one pin. She left a solid 10 and spared it for a two-pin victory (left photo: Son, right, her team mates and the coach after the last shot).
In the other semifinal match, the Canadians defeated England's Autum Chamberlain, Hayley Rumkee and Lisa John 623-506, to set up a title match against Korea. Both semifinal matches were contested on short oil.
Korea won its second gold medal of the championships. Canada took silver after winning the gold in Men's Trios and England and Japan shared the bronze medal, their first medal in the championships.
Finishing qualifying first, the Canadians were the lone trio of the squad 1, which made the cut to the medal round by rolling the second-highest 2005 series, an average of 222.78, to jump from seventh to second place with 3825 (212.50).
The English ladies who started the day in 18th place, came out of the gates with games of 753 and 715 and made the challenging long pattern look like a house shot. Chamberlain (279) Rumkee struck out in the 10th frame to overtake the second Korean trio by eleven pins en route to earn berth into the finals with 3819 (212.17), just six pins behind Canada.
England's 2092 three-game total (232.44) was just 17 pins shy of the championship record (2109 by Japan in 2011).
The Japanese who were in sixth place on short oil, fired a 766 opening game, the highest game of the qualifying but fell behind due to a 592 in game two. They closed out with 637, just enough to overtake Korea by ten pins. A low count on the fill ball from Matsuda let the Japanese settle for fourth place, just one pin behind England with 3818 (212.11).
Chinese Taipei spinners Wang Ya-Ting and Huang Chiung-Yao lead in Women's All-Events (combined qualifying results in Singles, Doubles, Trios and Team) after 18 of 24 games with 3957 (219.83) and 3954 (219.67), respectively.
Son Yun-Hee and Ryu Seo-Yeon sit in third and fourth place with 3953 and 3913. Shannon O'Keefe of the United States is the best woman bowler of the American Zone in fifth place with 3905, while Diana Zavjalova of Latvia tops the European women with 3843, good for 11th place.
With the six games of the Team event to go, Carol Gianotti of Australia holds the 24th and last place to advance to the Masters finals with 3758 (208.78).
Action shifts to the men's and women's five-player Team qualifying on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Bowlingdigital's Photo Album
The World Tenpin Bowling Association World Championships run from Aug. 16 thru 31, 2013 at Sunset Station's Strike Zone in Henderson, Nev. in the Las Vegas area. The Championships will award medals in six disciplines - Singles, Doubles, Trios, Team, All Events and Masters.
The entire competition will be broadcast live on BOWL.com's BowlTV. Bowling fans will be able to watch live and on demand for free. The schedule is available at BOWL.com/LiveStream.
- 8/31/2013: 2013 High Roller Super Senior Masters Results
- 8/31/2013: Finnish Men, Korean Women Take Gold in Team Event as World Championships Conclude
- 8/30/2013: This Just In....Kerry Painter, $10,000 Winner of High Roller's Super Senior Masters
- 8/28/2013: High Roller Super Senior Masters Sweeper Results
- 8/28/2013: Diandra Ready To Defend at 2013 Queens
- 8/27/2013: 2012 Queens Rewind
- 8/27/2013: The Storm BYTE™
- 8/27/2013: Team Korea Takes Women's Trio's in a Thriller...
- 8/26/2013: Team Canada Takes Gold in Men's Trios
- 8/23/2013: USA Women Take Gold and Silver in Women's Doubles...Kulick Perfect with IQ™ Tour...
- 8/22/2013: Elite Youth Tour Rolls Through Minnesota!
- 8/22/2013: Barnes, Szczerbinski Win Doubles Gold at World Championships...
- 8/21/2013: Weber Celebrates Birthday with Second PBA50 Title
- 8/21/2013: 2013 New Mexico Open Results
- 8/21/2013: Underground Bowling Association 2013 Battle Bowl Results
- 8/21/2013: Ryu Seo-Yeon Rolls Hy-Road™ Pearl To Gold in World Women's Singles
- 8/20/2013: AJ Rice Rolls Hy-Road™ Pearl to Victory at Eric DeFreitas Scratch Classic
- 8/20/2013: 2012 USBC Queens Rewind
- 8/20/2013: Enter the Queens Watch & Win Contest!
- 8/20/2013: Bill O'Neill Wins Gold in Men's Singles
- 8/19/2013: World Championships Underway in Las Vegas...
- 8/17/2013: Welcome Underground Bowling Association!
- 8/16/2013: Robin Romeo, Hugh Miller Take Gold in World Senior Masters...
- 8/16/2013: Belmonte The Man To Beat in PBA Player of The Year Race...
- 8/15/2013: Joe Scarborough Storm 900 Ring Presentation
- 8/15/2013: World Senior Championships Continue at Red Rock...Mohr, Romeo Take All-Events Gold...
- 8/14/2013: High Miller, Ron Mohr Soar To Gold in Las Vegas...
- 8/14/2013: Painter/Adcock Notch PBA50 Doubles Title...
- 8/13/2013: Lucy Sandelin, Christer Danielsson Crowned World Senior Singles Champions...
- 8/12/2013: The World Arrives in Las Vegas
- 8/09/2013: Friday Funday - Ouch!
- 8/09/2013: World Tenpin Senior Championships Roll in Vegas
- 8/08/2013: Walter Ray Over Mark in PBA50 All-Williams Showdown...
- 8/07/2013: O'Neill, O'Keefe Win Luci Bonneau Memorial Striking Against Breast Cancer Tournament
- 8/07/2013: Tom Daughtery Captures PBA Southern Regional Players Invitational.
- 8/07/2013: Storm Video Clip Goes Viral...
- 8/07/2013: Pete Weber Leads PBA50 Event in Hammond
- 8/05/2013: Osku Palermaa Wins World Games Gold...
- 8/02/2013: Fagan, Kulick Golden at World Games
- 8/02/2013: Bowling Coach/Writer John Jowdy Passes Away
- 8/02/2013: Jason Walsh Wins Barrier Reef Motel Open in Australia
- 8/01/2013: In The Bag - 2013 Lipton Bowling's U.S Open