Bowling News USA - August 8, 2013 Walter Ray Over Mark in PBA50 All-Williams Showdown...
Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla., defeated Storm's Mark Williams – no relation – of Beaumont, Texas, 217-198, in an all-Williams title match to win the PBA50 Tour South Shore Open presented by DV8 at Olympia Lanes Thursday.
Helped by Mark’s pocket 7-10 split in the 10th frame, Walter Ray completed a come-from-behind victory to win his third PBA50 Tour title of the year, the seventh PBA50 Tour title of his career, and he expanded his points lead to 18 points over Venezuela’s Amleto Monacelli in the PBA50 Player of the Year race with only two tournaments remaining in the 2013 season.
Walter Ray Williams, who owns a record 47-time PBA Tour titles, never led in the title match until throwing three strikes in a row in the eighth, ninth and 10th frames to erase Mark William’s early lead. Mark had a chance to win with a strike and nine-count spare in his 10th frame, but left the so-called “impossible” split on a pocket hit on his first shot.
“That was the 15th time I left that split this week,” Mark said, “but I guess there was room for one more. That shot could have struck, but maybe it was just the pressure of the moment.”
“I bowled a great game and had a lot of nine counts, and Mark bowled a great game and had some bad breaks,” Walter Ray said. “But that’s part of bowling. For awhile it looked like I wasn’t getting any good breaks, but in the end I got the break I needed.”
Despite years of bowling against each other on the “junior tour,” as the 50-and-older players refer to the regular PBA Tour, friendships and good-natured rivalries remain intense among the PBA50 players.
“We’re all good friends. We’ve known each other for years, but we don’t like to lose to each other,” Walter Ray added. “I’m still competitive. I don’t like to lose. I’m out here to get all the accolades I can, and win titles, and win a little money if I can.”
In the semifinal round featuring four PBA Hall of Famers, Mark Williams started with six strikes and ran away with a 267-191 decision over Storm's Pete Weber of St. Ann, Mo., who left splits and failed to convert both the third and fifth frames. Walter Ray then set up the all-Williams title match with a 244-199 victory over Storm staffer Randy Pedersen of Clermont, Fla.
By picking up 16 points in the Player of the Year points race, Williams has an 18-point edge over Monacelli, but Monacelli isn’t expected to bowl the final two PBA50 Tour events due to international competitions as a member of Team Venezuela. Weber, a PBA50 Tour rookie, is third in the points competition with 30 points, and would need to win the final two tournaments – with Walter Ray adding no more than four points to his total – in order to win Player of the Year honors.
The top three players in PBA50 Tour points also competing for earn berths in the ESPN-televised PBA50 Tour Finals, a new special event that will be conducted during the PBA World Series of Bowling V at South Point Hotel, Casino and Bowling Center in Las Vegas in early November.
The PBA50 Tour completes its 2013 season with the Decatur Open presented by Brunswick at Spare Time Lanes in Decatur, Ill., Sunday through Tuesday, Aug. 13, followed by the Treasure Island Resort and Casino Open presented by Motiv at Island Xtreme Bowl in Welch, Minn., Aug. 18-21.
- 8/31/2013: 2013 High Roller Super Senior Masters Results
- 8/31/2013: Finnish Men, Korean Women Take Gold in Team Event as World Championships Conclude
- 8/30/2013: This Just In....Kerry Painter, $10,000 Winner of High Roller's Super Senior Masters
- 8/28/2013: High Roller Super Senior Masters Sweeper Results
- 8/28/2013: Diandra Ready To Defend at 2013 Queens
- 8/27/2013: 2012 Queens Rewind
- 8/27/2013: The Storm BYTE™
- 8/27/2013: Team Korea Takes Women's Trio's in a Thriller...
- 8/26/2013: Team Canada Takes Gold in Men's Trios
- 8/23/2013: USA Women Take Gold and Silver in Women's Doubles...Kulick Perfect with IQ™ Tour...
- 8/22/2013: Elite Youth Tour Rolls Through Minnesota!
- 8/22/2013: Barnes, Szczerbinski Win Doubles Gold at World Championships...
- 8/21/2013: Weber Celebrates Birthday with Second PBA50 Title
- 8/21/2013: 2013 New Mexico Open Results
- 8/21/2013: Underground Bowling Association 2013 Battle Bowl Results
- 8/21/2013: Ryu Seo-Yeon Rolls Hy-Road™ Pearl To Gold in World Women's Singles
- 8/20/2013: AJ Rice Rolls Hy-Road™ Pearl to Victory at Eric DeFreitas Scratch Classic
- 8/20/2013: 2012 USBC Queens Rewind
- 8/20/2013: Enter the Queens Watch & Win Contest!
- 8/20/2013: Bill O'Neill Wins Gold in Men's Singles
- 8/19/2013: World Championships Underway in Las Vegas...
- 8/17/2013: Welcome Underground Bowling Association!
- 8/16/2013: Robin Romeo, Hugh Miller Take Gold in World Senior Masters...
- 8/16/2013: Belmonte The Man To Beat in PBA Player of The Year Race...
- 8/15/2013: Joe Scarborough Storm 900 Ring Presentation
- 8/15/2013: World Senior Championships Continue at Red Rock...Mohr, Romeo Take All-Events Gold...
- 8/14/2013: High Miller, Ron Mohr Soar To Gold in Las Vegas...
- 8/14/2013: Painter/Adcock Notch PBA50 Doubles Title...
- 8/13/2013: Lucy Sandelin, Christer Danielsson Crowned World Senior Singles Champions...
- 8/12/2013: The World Arrives in Las Vegas
- 8/09/2013: Friday Funday - Ouch!
- 8/09/2013: World Tenpin Senior Championships Roll in Vegas
- 8/08/2013: Walter Ray Over Mark in PBA50 All-Williams Showdown...
- 8/07/2013: O'Neill, O'Keefe Win Luci Bonneau Memorial Striking Against Breast Cancer Tournament
- 8/07/2013: Tom Daughtery Captures PBA Southern Regional Players Invitational.
- 8/07/2013: Storm Video Clip Goes Viral...
- 8/07/2013: Pete Weber Leads PBA50 Event in Hammond
- 8/05/2013: Osku Palermaa Wins World Games Gold...
- 8/02/2013: Fagan, Kulick Golden at World Games
- 8/02/2013: Bowling Coach/Writer John Jowdy Passes Away
- 8/02/2013: Jason Walsh Wins Barrier Reef Motel Open in Australia
- 8/01/2013: In The Bag - 2013 Lipton Bowling's U.S Open