Bowling News USA - August 2, 2013 Bowling Coach/Writer John Jowdy Passes Away
Professional Bowlers Association Hall of Famer and pioneer bowling coach John Jowdy of El Cajon, Calif., died today of natural causes. He was 93.
Jowdy was inducted into the PBA Hall of Fame in 1988 primarily for his coaching contributions but was also a prolific bowling writer and bowling industry advocate.
“John Jowdy was one of the greatest minds in the history of our sport,” said PBA Commissioner Tom Clark. “He cared about bowling and its greatest players as much as anyone ever has. Anyone who had the chance to meet or know him is better for it, and will never forget him, his humor, his vast knowledge or his cigar."
Jowdy began his coaching career by instructing youth bowlers in San Antonio, Texas, in the 1940s and ‘50s. Since the late ‘60s he had coached more than 100 professional and amateur men and women bowlers.
He joined bowling ball manufacturer Columbia 300 in 1962 and worked for many years as the company’s traveling salesman, public relations spokesman and PBA Tour representative. He is credited with the development of Team Columbia, a forerunner of the “pro staff” concept now utilized by all major bowling ball manufacturers.
Most recently he was inducted into the Bowling Coaches Hall of Fame in 2010 in recognition of his coaching contributions to the sport. He also was inducted into the Texas Bowling Hall of Fame, the San Antonio Bowling Hall of Fame, the Bowling Writers Association of America (IBMA) Hall of Fame, and the United States Bowling Congress Hall of Fame (2001). In 2006, he was chosen as the International Bowling Coach of the Year by the World Bowling Writers.
“John was an all-round pioneer in the sport,” said fellow Hall of Famer and good friend Chuck Pezzano. “He was an expert in many areas of the sport and probably coached more professional bowlers than anybody. I remember seeing him at tournaments where players would line up to get advice from him. He was an advocate for women’s bowling and what a lot of people don’t know is that he was also a very good bowler.”
Jowdy also was instrumental in starting the John Jowdy Scholarship for high school and college bowlers, which Columbia 300 continues to sponsor in his honor.
As a writer, Jowdy’s columns appeared in dozens of bowling newspapers and magazines and he was the author of two books on the sport, Bowling Execution and Bowling Execution, Second Edition.
As a bowling writer he earned numerous awards. He served as BWAA President in 1996, and was the recipient of the sport’s Flowers for the Living Award in 1985.
“John had made peace with his life and was ready to move on,” said Hall of Famer Marshall Holman who had recently talked to Jowdy.
Service and memorial information will be released when it becomes available.
- 8/31/2013: 2013 High Roller Super Senior Masters Results
- 8/31/2013: Finnish Men, Korean Women Take Gold in Team Event as World Championships Conclude
- 8/30/2013: This Just In....Kerry Painter, $10,000 Winner of High Roller's Super Senior Masters
- 8/28/2013: High Roller Super Senior Masters Sweeper Results
- 8/28/2013: Diandra Ready To Defend at 2013 Queens
- 8/27/2013: 2012 Queens Rewind
- 8/27/2013: The Storm BYTE™
- 8/27/2013: Team Korea Takes Women's Trio's in a Thriller...
- 8/26/2013: Team Canada Takes Gold in Men's Trios
- 8/23/2013: USA Women Take Gold and Silver in Women's Doubles...Kulick Perfect with IQ™ Tour...
- 8/22/2013: Elite Youth Tour Rolls Through Minnesota!
- 8/22/2013: Barnes, Szczerbinski Win Doubles Gold at World Championships...
- 8/21/2013: Weber Celebrates Birthday with Second PBA50 Title
- 8/21/2013: 2013 New Mexico Open Results
- 8/21/2013: Underground Bowling Association 2013 Battle Bowl Results
- 8/21/2013: Ryu Seo-Yeon Rolls Hy-Road™ Pearl To Gold in World Women's Singles
- 8/20/2013: AJ Rice Rolls Hy-Road™ Pearl to Victory at Eric DeFreitas Scratch Classic
- 8/20/2013: 2012 USBC Queens Rewind
- 8/20/2013: Enter the Queens Watch & Win Contest!
- 8/20/2013: Bill O'Neill Wins Gold in Men's Singles
- 8/19/2013: World Championships Underway in Las Vegas...
- 8/17/2013: Welcome Underground Bowling Association!
- 8/16/2013: Robin Romeo, Hugh Miller Take Gold in World Senior Masters...
- 8/16/2013: Belmonte The Man To Beat in PBA Player of The Year Race...
- 8/15/2013: Joe Scarborough Storm 900 Ring Presentation
- 8/15/2013: World Senior Championships Continue at Red Rock...Mohr, Romeo Take All-Events Gold...
- 8/14/2013: High Miller, Ron Mohr Soar To Gold in Las Vegas...
- 8/14/2013: Painter/Adcock Notch PBA50 Doubles Title...
- 8/13/2013: Lucy Sandelin, Christer Danielsson Crowned World Senior Singles Champions...
- 8/12/2013: The World Arrives in Las Vegas
- 8/09/2013: Friday Funday - Ouch!
- 8/09/2013: World Tenpin Senior Championships Roll in Vegas
- 8/08/2013: Walter Ray Over Mark in PBA50 All-Williams Showdown...
- 8/07/2013: O'Neill, O'Keefe Win Luci Bonneau Memorial Striking Against Breast Cancer Tournament
- 8/07/2013: Tom Daughtery Captures PBA Southern Regional Players Invitational.
- 8/07/2013: Storm Video Clip Goes Viral...
- 8/07/2013: Pete Weber Leads PBA50 Event in Hammond
- 8/05/2013: Osku Palermaa Wins World Games Gold...
- 8/02/2013: Fagan, Kulick Golden at World Games
- 8/02/2013: Bowling Coach/Writer John Jowdy Passes Away
- 8/02/2013: Jason Walsh Wins Barrier Reef Motel Open in Australia
- 8/01/2013: In The Bag - 2013 Lipton Bowling's U.S Open