Bowling News USA - June 7, 2013 Amleto Monacelli Repeats at Suncoast PBA Senior U.S Open Presented by Storm Products
Professional Bowlers Association Hall of Famer Amleto Monacelli successfully defended his Suncoast PBA Senior U.S. Open presented by Storm Products title Friday at the Suncoast Bowling Center for his second career PBA50 Tour title and to become the sixth different winner in six tournaments this season on the PBA50 Tour.
As the top qualifier for the finals, the Venezuelan defeated 2011 Senior U.S. Open winner and two-time PBA50 Player of the Year Ron Mohr, 199-193, in the championship match in the first major tournament of the season. He now joins fellow Hall of Famers Wayne Webb and Tom Baker as two-time winners of the tournament and who also won in back-to-back years. Baker in 2005 and ‘06 and Webb in 2008 and ‘09.
Mohr, who moved to Las Vegas from Eagle River, Alaska, right before the start of the tournament, had a chance to win the match by throwing the first strike in the 10th frame but left a solid 10 pin.
“He threw a great shot but the same thing happened to me the frame before,” said Monacelli who won 19 titles in his PBA Tour career. “It’s something that happens a lot in the U.S. Open.”
Monacelli took an early lead in the match but left the unusual 3-4-6-7-10 split in the fourth frame which he failed to convert and consequently evened up the match.
“At that point in the match I really wasn’t worried,” said Monacelli, who also has two second-place finishes the season. “I just analyzed what I did wrong at that point, refocused, and just started all over again. It was something I had to do many times in the tournament.”
With a previous-best finish of sixth on the PBA50 Tour this season, Mohr was very encouraged by his runner-up finish in the tournament.
“Overall, I was very pleased with the way I bowled in what I believe is the toughest Senior U.S. Open that I’ve competed in,” said Mohr. “I liked that shot a lot right off my hand in the 10th frame but in the end the best man won the tournament today.”
Mohr, who qualified fourth for the finals defeated reigning PBA50 Player of the Year and 2012 Senior U.S. Open runner-up Walter Ray Williams Jr. in the opening stepladder match, 279-195, and then went on to beat five-time PBA Tour titlist Eric Forkel of Las Vegas, 218-184, in the semifinal to advance to the championship match.
Forkel used a Storm Hy-Road™.
Throughout the 2013 season, PBA50 Tour players are competing for the opportunity to advance to the nationally-televised PBA50 Tour Finals which will be conducted as part of the World Series of Bowling V in Las Vegas in November. The top three players in points at the conclusion of the season will advance to the PBA50 Tour Finals. With his win in the Senior U.S. Open, Monacelli moved into the lead with 40 points followed by Williams with 26 and Bob Learn Jr. with 20.
The PBA50 Tour now moves across town to the South Point Bowling Center for the United States Bowling Congress Senior Masters--the season’s second major--June 9-14.
SUNCOAST PBA SENIOR U.S. OPEN PRESENTED BY STORM
Suncoast Bowling Center, Las Vegas, Friday
1, Amleto Monacelli, Venezuela, $14,000.
2, Ron Mohr, Las Vegas, $7,500.
3, Eric Forkel, Las Vegas, $5,500.
4, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., $4,500.
Match One: Mohr def. Williams, 279-195.
Semifinal Match: Mohr def. Forkel, 218-184.
Championship: Monacelli def. Mohr, 199-193.
MATCH PLAY RESULTS AFTER 48 GAMES
Includes match play record and money won. Top four advanced to stepladder finals.
1, Amleto Monacelli, Venezuela, 15-8-1, 10,940.
2, Eric Forkel, Las Vegas, 17-7, 10,655.
3, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., 13-10-1, 10,577.
4, Ron Mohr, Las Vegas, 16-6-2, 10,569.
Failed to advance to stepladder finals
5, Wayne Webb, Columbus, Ohio, 13-11, 10,552, $4,000.
6, Lennie Boresch Jr., Kenosha, Wis., 13-10-1, 10,511, $3,500. (used Storm and Roto Grip)
7, Hugh Miller, Seattle, 12-12, 10,478, $3,000. (used Storm and Roto Grip)
8, Peter Knopp, Germany, 14-9-1, 10,470, $2,700.
9, Jeff Richgels, Madison, Wis., 14-8-2, 10,443, $2,400. (Storm Staff)
10, Kevin Croucher, Grants Pass, Ore., 14-9-1, 10,439, $2,200.
11, Mike Edwards, Tulsa, Okla., 12-12, 10,429, $2,100. (Storm Staff)
12, Jack Jurek, Lackawanna, N.Y., 12-12, 10,428, $2,000. (used Storm and Roto Grip)
13, Dale Traber, Cedarburg, Wis., 12-11-1, 10,387, $1,900. (used Storm and Roto Grip)
14, Randy Pedersen, Clermont, Fla., 11-13, 10,374, $1,800. (Storm Staff)
15, (tie) Harry Sullins, Chesterfield Twp, Mich., 10-12-2, and Bo Goergen, Sanford, Mich., 12-12, 10,373, $1,725. (used Storm and Roto Grip)
17, Bryan Goebel, Shawnee, Kan., 10-13-1, 10,371, $1,650.
18, Tom Baker, King, N.C., 8-15-1, 10,347, $1,625. (Roto Grip Staff)
19, a-Bob Markiewicz, San Diego, 11-12-1, 10,199, $1,600.
20, Marv Sargent, Temecula, Calif., 8-16, 10,068, $1,580.
21, Mark Williams, Beaumont, Texas, 10-14, 10,007, $1,560. (Storm Staff)
22, a-Roger Kossert, Lithia, Fla., 7-16-1, 9,983, $1,540. (used Storm and Roto Grip)
23, Kerry Painter, Henderson, Nev., 10-14, 9,840, $1,520. (used Storm and Roto Grip)
24, Ron Winger, Las Vegas, 6-18, 9,821, $1,500.
- 6/30/2013: True Amateur Tournament Featuring Live Streaming Underway at Orleans!
- 6/28/2013: Fagan, Duke, Weber Battle at PBA MIlwaukee Open
- 6/25/2013: Belmo Captures Seventh Career PBA Title with Wrecker™!
- 6/25/2013: Belmonte Blasts To The Top at Lucas Oil PBA Bear Open...Loschetter Third with Storm...
- 6/24/2013: PBA, ESPN Ink Five-Year Deal
- 6/23/2013: 2013 International Bowl Expo Rolls Into Las Vegas..Live Streaming From Storm Booth!
- 6/22/2013: New From Storm Products, The Hy-Road™ Pearl and Marvel-S™
- 6/20/2013: Walter Ray Williams Jr., Notches PBA50 Title
- 6/18/2013: Free Agent Chris Loschetter Rolls Storm IQ™ Tour To First PBA Title...
- 6/17/2013: Shafer Over Bohn in PBA Eastern Regional
- 6/17/2013: Catch Pete and Norm on CBS Sports Network Tuesday!
- 6/14/2013: Pete Weber Wins USBC Senior Masters in Las Vegas!
- 6/14/2013: Finals Set For USBC Senior Masters...Boresch, Painter, Weber 1-2-3
- 6/13/2013: Winner's Bracket Down to Four at USBC Senior Masters...Lennie Boresch Jr., Over PDW
- 6/13/2013: Storm Lucid Contest Winner Visits USBC's International Training and Research Center
- 6/13/2013: Matchplay Begins at USBC Senior Masters...33 of 64 Players Using Storm/Roto Grip
- 6/12/2013: Joltin' Joe Scarborough 900 Series Jersey Presentation
- 6/12/2013: Heroes Bowl with the Pros Spells Victory by Louie Wemett
- 6/12/2013: Pedersen, Williams, Weber Top Storm Staffers at Senior Masters
- 6/12/2013: Storm's Mobile Website is Here!
- 6/11/2013: Jake Peters Breaks Thru at Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 6/11/2013: Storm In The Bag - 2013 Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 6/11/2013: Pilon, Haugen Jr., and Lorincz Hope To Bring Another Win Home For Storm/Roto Grip
- 6/10/2013: Storm Signs 3-Year Agreement with AWBA
- 6/10/2013: 'Eddie' is Ready To Defend at Senior Masters
- 6/10/2013: Geoffrey Young Wins $14,000 For First Place at Grand Boot Hill!
- 6/10/2013: Kelly Kulick, Mike Fagan Bolster Storm National Staffs
- 6/08/2013: 2013 Suncoast PBA Senior U.S Open Report
- 6/07/2013: Amleto Monacelli Repeats at Suncoast PBA Senior U.S Open Presented by Storm Products
- 6/06/2013: Pedersen Ready For Senior U.S Open Run Friday...
- 6/06/2013: Rick Dale, Star of American Restoration to Attend Bowl Expo With Storm
- 6/05/2013: Pedersen Stays Hot in Sin City...Chasing Ron Mohr at Suncoast...
- 6/05/2013: Gary Hulsenberg, Leanne Barrette-Hulsenberg, Join Team Storm
- 6/03/2013: Suncoast PBA50 Senior U.S Open Presented by Storm Rolls in Vegas