Bowling News USA - May 28, 2013 Weber Leads Storm Staffers at Lucas Oil PBA Bear Open
Dave Wodka of Henderson, Nev., emerged at the top of the qualifying pile after six lead changes in the final six games in the Lucas Oil PBA Bear Open Monday at AMF Bowlero, averaging 223.5 to lead the field of 24 players who advanced to Tuesday’s match play rounds.
Wodka, 42, is trying for his first title since he won the 1999 Greater Detroit Open for his only PBA Tour win. He finished qualifying in front of a packed house at AMF Bowlero with a 10-game total of 2,235 pins on a demanding lane condition, rolling games of 229, 210, 216, 206 and 246 Monday night to take a 27–pin lead over Chris Barnes of Double Oak, Texas.
Qualifying third was Storm's Pete Weber of St. Ann, Mo., with 2,000 pins followed by 2013 Intercollegiate Singles Champion Aaron Lorincz of Belleville, Mich., with a 2,195 total and Storm staffer Mike Fagan of Dallas with 2,184 pins.
The Bear Open is being contested on a flat 40-foot oiling pattern which is similar to the U.S. Open lane condition, considered the most challenging scoring environment on the PBA Tour schedule. The Bear Open is the third of four events that compose the GEICO PBA Summer Swing presented by Lucas Oil, and it was the final qualifying event for the Milwaukee Open which begins Wednesday at AMF Bowlero.
The top 28 qualifiers based on total pinfall after 30 qualifying games from the Badger, Wolf and Bear “animal pattern” events advance to the five-game Milwaukee Open cashers which will be contested on the Bear pattern at 11 a.m. Wednesday. Based on 35 games, the top 24 will then advance to three eight-game match play rounds at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday (Bear pattern), and 11 a.m. (Wolf pattern) and 5:30 p.m. (Badger pattern) on Thursday. There will be no competition on Friday.
Leading the Milwaukee Open qualifiers was Bill O’Neill of Langhorne, Pa., who averaged 229.1 for a 30-game total of 6,873 pins. Surviving the cut in 28th place was reigning PBA Player of the Year Sean Rash of Montgomery, Ill., who qualified 27th. The 28th and final berth in the Milwaukee Open went to Andrew Graff of Las Vegas by seven pins over Brett Cunningham of Clay, N.Y.
Five-player stepladder finals for the Badger, Wolf, Bear and Milwaukee Opens, plus the GEICO Summer King of the Swing special event, will be taped over two days by the CBS Sports Network Saturday and Sunday at AMF Bowlero for airing on five consecutive Tuesdays at 7 p.m. ET beginning June 11.
The GEICO Summer King of the Swing will include the four Summer Swing event champions plus the next highest points leader who hasn’t won a title. Those five will compete in a $25,000 stepladder final for a $10,000 first prize, concluding the summer series on June 2.
LUCAS OIL PBA BEAR OPEN
AMF West, Milwaukee, Wis., May 27
FINAL QUALIFYING STANDINGS (after 10 games, top 24 advance to round robin match play Tuesday at 11 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. CT)
1, Dave Wodka, Henderson, Nev., 2,235.
2, Chris Barnes, Double Oak, Texas, 2,208.
3, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., 2,200.
4, Aaron Lorincz, Belleville, Mich., 2,195.
5, Mike Fagan, Dallas, 2,184.
6, Ryan Shafer, Horseheads, N.Y., 2,169.
7, Brian Valenta, Lockport, Ill., 2,167.
8, Brian Kretzer, Dayton, Ohio, 2,165.
9, Jon VanHees, Charlestown, R.I., 2,155.
10, Tommy Jones, Simpsonville, S.C., 2,149.
11, Dan MacLelland, Canada, 2,148.
12, Chris Loschetter, Avon, Ohio, 2,146.
13, Andres Gomez, Colombia, 2,129.
14, Ryan Ciminelli, Cheektowaga, N.Y., 2,117.
15, John Szczerbinski, North Tonawanda, N.Y., 2,109.
16, Scott Newell, Deland, Fla., 2,100.
17, Tom Hess, Urbandale, Iowa, 2,099.
18, Osku Palermaa, Finland, 2,098.
19, Brian Robinson, Morgantown, W.Va., 2,095.
20, Missy Parkin, Laguna Hills, Calif., 2,090.
21, Patrick Girard, Canada, 2,086.
22, Jason Belmonte, Australia, 2,085.
23, Dom Barrett, England, 2,082.
24, Andrew Graff, Las Vegas, 2,075.
- 5/30/2013: Weber, Duke and Fagan Will Try To Chase Down Barnes in Lucas Oil PBA Milwaukee Open Final
- 5/30/2013: Weber in Control at Lucas Oil PBA Milwaukee Open...Duke 4th with One Round of Matchplay To Go...
- 5/29/2013: Pete Weber Powers To The Top at Lucas Oil PBA Milwaukee Open
- 5/29/2013: Mike Fagan Leads Storm/Roto Grip Staffers at the Lucas Oil PBA Milwaukee Open
- 5/28/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Bear Open - Matchplay
- 5/28/2013: Weber Leads Storm Staffers at Lucas Oil PBA Bear Open
- 5/27/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Wolf Open Matchplay
- 5/24/2013: Duke, Weber 'Hungry Like The Wolf'.... Loschetter Leads with Storm!
- 5/24/2013: Free Agent Loschetter Rolls Lights Out™, IQ Tour To Lead on Wolf..
- 5/24/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Wolf Open
- 5/22/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open - Matchplay
- 5/21/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 5/21/2013: Andres Gomez Tops Storm/Roto Grip Staffers at Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 5/20/2013: Mike Fagan Leads Storm Staffers at PBA Summer Swing Opener
- 5/19/2013: Jason Belmonte, Pete Weber Battle for PBA Player of the Year at Summer Swing...
- 5/19/2013: Eric Tseng Over Sam Cooley at 10th Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge
- 5/17/2013: Randy Pedersen Powers To PBA50 Win...Three in a Row For Storm/Roto Grip
- 5/15/2013: Tish Johnson Reviews Freak'n Frantic™, Lights Out™, Super Natural™
- 5/14/2013: 2013 USBC Open Championships Leaderboard
- 5/09/2013: Mike Flanagan Named New Director of Marketing at Storm Products
- 5/06/2013: Aguiar, LeClair Vault to Doubles Lead in Reno...
- 5/06/2013: 6 Questions For Mike Fagan
- 5/03/2013: Joe Scarborough Reflects on "Golden" Performance
- 5/02/2013: Storm Staffer Rick Steelsmith USBC Hall of Famer!
- 5/02/2013: "King of Swing", Mike Fagan Joins Storm Staff of Champions
- 5/01/2013: USBC, SouthPoint Casino Strike Huge Vegas Deal