Bowling News USA - May 17, 2013 Randy Pedersen Powers To PBA50 Win...Three in a Row For Storm/Roto Grip
(file photo - Mark Roth, Randy Pedersen, Marshall Holman)
After starting qualifying dead last with a 144 game, and not bowling competitively for six years, winning the PBA50 Dayton Classic presented by Roto Grip was the furthest thing from PBA Hall of Famer Randy Pedersen’s mind.
After his rough start, the 50-year-old color analyst for ESPN and CBS Sports Network PBA Tour telecasts rocketed through the field to win in his PBA50 Tour debut by defeating fellow Hall of Famer Amleto Monacelli, 232-226, in the championship match Thursday at Capri Lanes.
Pedersen used the Storm Marvel™ Pearl.
The win made in three PBA50 victories in a row for Storm/Roto Grip. Tom Baker and Lennie Boresch Jr., won the last two events.
“It was a combination of just bowling bad and maybe being on a tough pair of lanes,” Pedersen of his first game. “But after that I bowled a 240, then a 230 and thought, okay, things are getting better.
“It was a combination of things,” he added. “I got some good advice, made the right ball choices and adjustments and then got a good sense pretty quickly for how the lanes were reacting and how I could adjust for it.”
In the championship match, Pedersen won by striking on his first ball in the 10th frame on a light hit.
“Amleto had lane choice and that left me finishing on the right lane which we both knew was the toughest,” Pedersen said, “but as the match progressed I thought, hey, even though it’s been 11 years since I’ve won, I remember how to do this, so I threw what I thought was a pretty good shot and got a lucky break with the high hit.”
After winning a tournament he admitted to being a little reluctant about even entering, Pedersen plans to continue his PBA50 career by taking it tournament-by-tournament. He was a 13-time PBA Tour winner during a 25-year career (1981-2006-07). Knee injuries after the 2006-07 season and two subsequent surgeries led to his retirement.
Qualifying third for the stepladder finals, Pedersen defeated 2012 USBC Senior Masters winner Mike Edwards of Tulsa, 244-191, in the opening match and then defeated Pasco County Suncoast Open winner Bob Learn Jr. of Erie, Pa., 268-223, in the semifinal.
Throughout the 2013 PBA50 Tour season, players are competing for the opportunity to advance to the nationally-televised PBA50 Tour Finals which will be conducted as part of the World Series of Bowling V in Las Vegas in November. The top three players in points at the conclusion of the season will advance to the PBA50 Tour Finals. The top three after five tournaments this season are Walter Ray Williams Jr., Bob Learn Jr., and Lennie Boresch Jr.
The PBA50 Tour takes a short break but will return for the season’s two majors in Las Vegas. The Suncoast PBA Senior U.S. Open presented by Storm will be conducted June 2-7 at the Suncoast Bowling Center and the USBC Senior Masters June 9-14 at the South Point Bowling Center.
PBA50 DAYTON CLASSIC PRESENTED BY ROTO GRIP
Capri Lanes, Kettering Ohio, Thursday
1, Randy Pedersen, Clermont, Fla., $7,500.
2, Amleto Monacelli, Venezuela, $4,000.
3, Bob Learn Jr., Erie, Pa., $2,500.
4, Mike Edwards, Tulsa, $2,000.
Match One: Pedersen def. Edwards, 244-191.
Semifinal Match: Pedersen def. Bob Learn Jr., 268-223.
Championship: Pedersen def. Monacelli, 232-226.
Match play results after 32 games
- 5/30/2013: Weber, Duke and Fagan Will Try To Chase Down Barnes in Lucas Oil PBA Milwaukee Open Final
- 5/30/2013: Weber in Control at Lucas Oil PBA Milwaukee Open...Duke 4th with One Round of Matchplay To Go...
- 5/29/2013: Pete Weber Powers To The Top at Lucas Oil PBA Milwaukee Open
- 5/29/2013: Mike Fagan Leads Storm/Roto Grip Staffers at the Lucas Oil PBA Milwaukee Open
- 5/28/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Bear Open - Matchplay
- 5/28/2013: Weber Leads Storm Staffers at Lucas Oil PBA Bear Open
- 5/27/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Wolf Open Matchplay
- 5/24/2013: Duke, Weber 'Hungry Like The Wolf'.... Loschetter Leads with Storm!
- 5/24/2013: Free Agent Loschetter Rolls Lights Out™, IQ Tour To Lead on Wolf..
- 5/24/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Wolf Open
- 5/22/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open - Matchplay
- 5/21/2013: 2013 PBA Summer Swing Update - Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 5/21/2013: Andres Gomez Tops Storm/Roto Grip Staffers at Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 5/20/2013: Mike Fagan Leads Storm Staffers at PBA Summer Swing Opener
- 5/19/2013: Jason Belmonte, Pete Weber Battle for PBA Player of the Year at Summer Swing...
- 5/19/2013: Eric Tseng Over Sam Cooley at 10th Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge
- 5/17/2013: Randy Pedersen Powers To PBA50 Win...Three in a Row For Storm/Roto Grip
- 5/15/2013: Tish Johnson Reviews Freak'n Frantic™, Lights Out™, Super Natural™
- 5/14/2013: 2013 USBC Open Championships Leaderboard
- 5/09/2013: Mike Flanagan Named New Director of Marketing at Storm Products
- 5/06/2013: Aguiar, LeClair Vault to Doubles Lead in Reno...
- 5/06/2013: 6 Questions For Mike Fagan
- 5/03/2013: Joe Scarborough Reflects on "Golden" Performance
- 5/02/2013: Storm Staffer Rick Steelsmith USBC Hall of Famer!
- 5/02/2013: "King of Swing", Mike Fagan Joins Storm Staff of Champions
- 5/01/2013: USBC, SouthPoint Casino Strike Huge Vegas Deal