Bowling News USA - January 27, 2013 PBA League Debuts on ESPN
Reigning Professional Bowlers Association Player of the Year Sean Rash threw two strikes in the 10th frame to clinch a 225-215 victory for his BROOKLYN STyLES team over the New York City WTT KingPins in the debut of PBA League team bowling on ESPN Sunday at Thunderbowl Lanes.
The STyLES, owned by Grey’s Anatomy actor Jesse Williams, held a two-pin lead heading into the 10th frame. After Storm staffer and anchor bowler Pete Weber struck and spared in his half of the 10th frame, Rash answered with two strikes to lock up the win.
“It’s a great feeling winning by yourself, but winning as a team never gets old,” said Rash, who served as franchise player for his team and drafted an all-star lineup that included PBA Hall of Famer Walter Ray Williams Jr., Storm staffer Ryan Shafer, and promising young players Ryan Ciminelli and Jason Sterner.
Shafer used a Storm Marvel™ Pearl on the telecast.
Sunday’s win gave the STyLES 18 points in the race for the top five positions for the end-of-season PBA League Elias Cup finals. Owner Billie Jean King’s KingPins earned 12 points as runners-up.
STyLES team members Pete Weber and Jack Jurek used a Roto Grip Defiant Soul™ on the show, and fellow team member John Szczerbinski used a Disturbed.™
Sunday’s PBA League round included the top five of eight five-player teams that had qualified over a span of four days and 32 team games on four different lane conditions as part of the PBA Detroit Winter Swing at Thunderbowl Lanes.
In the semifinal match, the KingPins and Jerome Bettis’ Motown Muscle threw matching strikes and spares through five frames before the KingPins took the lead behind strikes by Tommy Jones and Jack Jurek. Open frames by Tom Smallwood and Mike Fagan in the eighth and ninth frames put Motown in a hole it couldn’t escape. The KingPins advanced to the title contest, 226-191
In the second match, Motown anchor bowler Mike Scroggins threw three strikes in the 10th frame to extend his team’s string to five in a row, erasing a 14-pin deficit and forcing Storm staffer and Strikers’ anchor Rhino Page to strike on his first shot in the 10th for a chance to win. Page, however, left the 4-6-7-9 split and the Muscle advanced with a 214-194 win.
Scroggins used a IQ™ Tour Pearl on the telecast.
In the opening match, the Strikers roared out of the gate with six consecutive strikes while the Silver Lake Atom Splitters, owned by comedian Chris Hardwick, didn’t have a strike until Josh Blanchard threw one in the eighth frame. Terrell Owens’ Dallas-based team easily moved on with a near-perfect 278-171 victory.
The Detroit Winter swing included five rounds of PBA League competition, with points awarded after each round. The top four teams after five rounds will advance to the Elias Cup finals, named in honor of PBA founder Eddie Elias, which will be conducted March 31 at Woodland Bowl in Indianapolis as part of PBA Tournament of Champions week.
PBA League preliminary rounds continue on ESPN next Sunday with coverage of the Chris Paul PBA All-Stars at 4 p.m. ET.
PBA LEAGUE THUNDERBOWL ROUND FINALS
Thunderbowl Lanes, Allen Park, Mich., Jan. 27
Championship (Baker team format)
BROOKLYN STyLES (Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ryan Shafer, Ryan Ciminelli, Jason Sterner, Sean Rash) def. New York City WTT KingPins (Tommy Jones, Jack Jurek, John Szczerbinski, Scott Norton, Pete Weber), 225-215.
New York City WTT KingPins def. Motown Muscle (Ronnie Russell, Jesse Buss, Tom Smallwood, Mike Fagan, Mike Scroggins), 226-191.
Motown Muscle def. Dallas Strikers (Bryon Smith, Amleto Monacelli, Mike Machuga, Norm Duke, Rhino Page), 214-194.
Dallas Strikers def. Silver Lake Atom Splitters (Chris Barnes, Stuart Williams, Nathan Bohr, Josh Blanchard, Dom Barrett), 278-171.
PBA LEAGUE ELIAS CUP POINTS STANDINGS (after one of five rounds)
1, BROOKLYN STyLES (owner Jesse Williams), 18 points.
2, New York City WTT KingPins (owner Billie Jean King), 12.
3, Motown Muscle (owner Jerome Bettis), 9.
4, Dallas Strikers (owner Terrell Owens), 8.
5, Silver Lake Atom Splitters (owner Chris Hardwick), 6.
6, L.A. X (owner Chris Paul), 5.
7, Philadelphia Hitmen (owner Kevin Hart), 3.
8, Pittsburgh Jack Rabbits (owner LaMarr Woodley), 2.
- 1/30/2013: Storm Lucid™ - 2012 'No Holes Barred' Bowling Ball of the Year...
- 1/30/2013: Mike Jasnau In Reno For 2013 USBC Open Championship
- 1/30/2013: Meet The PBA League's Silver Lake Atom Splitters
- 1/29/2013: John Davis - Bowling Industry Icon, Visionary, Pioneer...
- 1/29/2013: Meet The PBA League's New York City WTT KingPins...
- 1/29/2013: Jeff Conradi Wins 2013 Storm Utah Open
- 1/27/2013: PBA League Debuts on ESPN
- 1/25/2013: Rash, Norton Make Final Show in Detroit...
- 1/25/2013: Malott Leads PBA Don Carter Classic...'Gold Ball' Dominating Detroit
- 1/25/2013: John Davis, Kegel Founder and CEO Passes Away.
- 1/24/2013: Wes Malott Dominates the PBA Don Carter Classic...Another Tournament Leader For Storm/Roto Grip
- 1/24/2013: Haugen Uses PBA League Snub, Hard Work as Motivation...
- 1/23/2013: Haugen Jr., Uses "Gold Ball" To Lead Roth Classic
- 1/23/2013: Weber, Duke Make Sweet 16 at Roth Classic
- 1/22/2013: 2 For The Show! D.J. Archer, Andres Gomez Will Represent Storm Nation at Salvino Classic ESPN Finals...
- 1/22/2013: Archer Leads Carmen Salvino Classic with Storm...
- 1/22/2013: Randy Explains How To Play Oily Lanes on Storm Tips
- 1/21/2013: 2013 PBA Tour Winter Swing Blog by Louie Wemett
- 1/21/2013: Foley, Giles March To Victory at Storm Irish Open...
- 1/20/2013: Mika, Tommy Jones Win Titles in Japan...
- 1/18/2013: Doug Kent, Danny Wiseman Elected To PBA Hall of Fame
- 1/17/2013: Storm's Rhino Page, Ryan Shafer and Derek Eoff Earn PBA Regional Honors...
- 1/17/2013: Storm Signs Top Amateur Marshall Kent
- 1/16/2013: The Storm SYNC™ with Leanne Hulsenberg and Steve Kloempken
- 1/16/2013: Friends of Tony Reyes...
- 1/15/2013: PBA in Detroit...Lane Patterns Honor Legends, New Formats
- 1/13/2013: Parker Bohn III Over Belmo at PBA World Championship
- 1/09/2013: PBA World Championship Sunday on ESPN...
- 1/08/2013: Storm/Roto Grip Dominate Team USA Trials...
- 1/06/2013: Vise, Storm Present Progressive Pot Games
- 1/06/2013: Daugherty Travels The 'Roads' To First PBA Title...
- 1/05/2013: 56th Military Bowling Championships Rolls at Orleans!
- 1/04/2013: High Roller's Senior Classic Set For Suncoast!
- 1/04/2013: Eoff Rolls with IQ™ Tour Pearl...Most Popular Ball on Planet Earth...
- 1/02/2013: Two-Handed Tandem on ESPN Sunday
- 1/01/2013: Pete and Norm's Greatest Hits - 1986 St. Louis Open
- 1/01/2013: Fans Vote Weber's U.S Open Win Top Bowling Story of 2012