Bowling News USA - December 23, 2012 Brad Angelo Puts One on the Board for Storm Products!
(Storm's Victor Marion, Jim Callahan, Del Ballard Jr., 2012 PBA Viper Champion Brad Angelo, Tom Clark, PBA)
Brad Angelo of Lockport, N.Y, with two strikes and an eight-count in the 10th frame, ended four years of frustration with a 233-232 victory over Finland’s Mika Koivuniemi to win the Professional Bowlers Association Viper Championship at South Point Hotel and Casino.
Angelo used a Storm Hy-Road™.
Angelo, who won his only PBA Tour title in the 2008 Viper Championship in Omaha, Neb., came into the Viper Championship finals as the top qualifier, but got help from Koivuniemi in the final frame before pulling off his clutch victory.
The Viper Championship, the second of five PBA Tour events held as part of the GEICO PBA World Series of Bowling IV at South Point, aired Sunday on ESPN.
"The lane always come to the Hy-Road," said Storm PBA Tour Representative Del Ballard Jr.
“The finals are airing on my birthday, and I guarantee there will be an absolute blow-out Christmas party, slash birthday party, slash victory number two party at Brad Angelo Lanes,” the now-43-year-old Angelo said.
Koivuniemi started the title match with a 4-10 split and an open frame. Angelo returned the favor in the third frame when he left a 4-6-7 split and opened. Neither bowler missed the pocket after those errors, although each left and converted a single-pin spare.
The contest came down to the 10th frame where Koivuniemi, working on a string of four strikes, added a fifth on his first shot. Needing nine pins and a spare to lock up the title, Koivuniemi left the 3-6-9-10 to give Angelo a chance to win with a double and eight pins, and that’s exactly what the 11-year PBA Tour veteran got.
“Mika gave me a chance, but I feel for him,” Angelo said. “I’ve bowled against him for 25 years and he’s about as classy as they come. He made some great shots to virtually shut me out, and the next thing I know, he got six (pins).
“All you ever want is a chance. That’s what I kept saying to myself, give me a chance,” Angelo continued. “I thought I needed nine pins to win. I guess it didn’t register that he got six pins, not seven, but I didn’t look at the score. That’s the first time in my career I didn’t look to see what I really needed; I just got up and tried to make three quality shots.”
The victory was redemption for four years of extreme frustration for Angelo.
“My slow years were certainly not for lack of effort,” he said. “I dealt with the evolution of the sport. Bowling with so much friction on the lanes here in Las Vegas, a guy like me without the speed and rev rate some of the power guys have, is pretty much nullified.
“Some of these guys – and they’re great players – have an advantage over guys like me. My weak 10 pin is their messenger 10-pin strike. My 2-10 split could be another strike for them because they can send the headpin off the wall.
“It’s been a struggle, but today I feel great. Great,” he said with a grin. “Hopefully I’ve silenced some of
- 12/31/2012: Watch all your favorite Storm Videos on the Storm YouTube Channel!
- 12/30/2012: Belmo Nipped at the Wire at PBA Chameleon Championship...
- 12/26/2012: Storm Products Continues Long Sponsorship of USBC Tournament.
- 12/25/2012: Watch The Finals of the PBA Chameleon Championship on ESPN Sunday!
- 12/25/2012: Beat The Champs: Pete Weber Just Keeps Right on Rolling...
- 12/23/2012: Brad Angelo Puts One on the Board for Storm Products!
- 12/23/2012: Martin Larsen Rolls to Victory in the 6th Kingdom International Open...
- 12/18/2012: Norm and Rhino Coming to Cove Lanes Bowling and Entertainment Center!
- 12/16/2012: Storm Leads PBA International Invasion...O'Neill Wins on Cheetah...
- 12/16/2012: "Gold Ball" Sweeping The Nation...And The Pins by Jeff Richgels
- 12/15/2012: Dom Barrett Wins EBT Point Rankings For Second Straight Year...Mika Takes Qatar Bowling Open
- 12/14/2012: Another World Record For Chad McLean...
- 12/13/2012: IAB Elite Youth Tour Coming to Sam's Town in Las Vegas
- 12/12/2012: Bowling Means The World To Diandra...By Anthony Nasella Post-Tribune Correspondent
- 12/11/2012: The PBA Returns to Beertown...
- 12/10/2012: Bertolina, Shellabarger Roll To Win at International Senior Open
- 12/09/2012: Liz Johnson Returns to the Storm Nation at WTBA Women's Championships...
- 12/07/2012: Watch Liz on ESPN Sunday!
- 12/06/2012: International Art of Bowling Launches 'The Circle' Membership
- 12/06/2012: 2013 PBA50 Tour Schedule Set
- 12/05/2012: Catch Hall of Famer Bob Hart on Phantom Radio
- 12/04/2012: Get Your IQ™ Tour Pearl Today!
- 12/03/2012: Pete Thomas Banks $12,000 at High Roller's Thanksgiving 50 & Over Classic
- 12/03/2012: Shayna Ng Ends Guerra's Run at World Cup Three-Peat