Bowling News USA - August 9, 2012 Learn Leads Senior South Shore Open with IQ Tour...
Bob Learn Jr. of Erie, Pa., averaged 229.6 Wednesday to maintain his lead after the second round of the Professional Bowlers Association Senior South Shore Open presented by DV8 at Olympia Lanes.
The Senior Tour rookie led first-round qualifying with a 1,874 eight-game pinfall total and followed it up with 1,837 in Wednesday’s round for a 3,711 16-game overall total (231.9 average), holding a narrow six-pin lead over Hall of Famer Wayne Webb of Columbus, Ohio, in second with 3,705.
Learn used the new Storm IQ Tour.
Learn, who won the Senior Mooresville (N.C.) Classic earlier this season for his first Senior Tour title, bowled games of 245, 256, 225, 247, 186, 233, 216 and 229 in the second round to lead 32 players who advanced to match play which begins Thursday morning. As a result of finishing in the top eight, he earned a two-round bye in match play.
Learn had just one open frame in 16 games when failing to convert a 3-6-9-10 spare in his 186 game.
“During both rounds I’ve had the opportunity to play all parts of the lane which should prepare me well for match play,” said the 50-year-old Learn. “The lanes played a little tighter today but I was able to make the adjustments I needed to make to get back on track.
“In match play you can bowl on a lane condition totally different from what you experience in qualifying, but I’m confident I’ll be ready for whatever condition is out there.”
Rounding out the top eight are Roto Grip's Tom Baker, King, N.C., 3,631; Ron Profitt, Brookville, Ohio, 3,627; Storm's Jeff Richgels, Madison, Wis., 3,625; and Mark Williams, Beaumont, Texas and Lennie Boresch Jr., Kenosha, Wis., 3,606, and 2012 USBC Senior Masters winner Mike Edwards, Tulsa, Okla., 3,603. Senior Player of the Year points leader Hall of Famer Walter Ray Williams Jr., of Ocala, Fla., who is trying to clinch that title in Hammond, is in ninth with 3,568.
Richgels reports that Williams "killed them " with the Storm Fire Road. Boresch used a Roto Grip Nomad Pearl.
Read Jeff's blog here: http://www.11thframe.com/page/blog_id_5257
The tournament’s Round of Eight and championship rounds will get underway Thursday at 5 p.m.
The Senior South Shore Open is the next-to-last tournament of the 2012 season which wraps up with the Senior Decatur Open presented by Brunswick Aug. 11-14.
PBA SENIOR SOUTH SHORE OPEN PRESENTED BY DV8
Olympia Lanes, Hammond, Ind., Wednesday
(After 16 games)
Top 32 advance to Thursday’s match play rounds
ss-indicates super seniors out of the regular prize fund cashing for $700
1, Bob Learn Jr., Erie, Pa., 3,711 - Storm IQ Tour
2, Wayne Webb, Columbus, Ohio, 3,705.
3, Tom Baker, King, N.C., 3,631. (Roto Grip Staff) - Shooting Star
4, Ron Profitt, Brookville, Ohio, 3,627.
5, Jeff Richgels, Madison, Wis., 3,625 - (Storm Staff) - Tropical Breeze
6, (tie) Mark Williams, Beaumont, Texas, (Storm Staff) Fire Road and Lennie Boresch Jr., Kenosha, Wis., 3,606 - Nomad Pearl
8, Mike Edwards, Tulsa, Okla., 3,603 - Roto Grip Outlaw
9, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., 3,568.
10, Rick Minier, Houston, Texas, 3,555.
11, Jim Knoblauch, Waukesha, Wis., 3,537.
12, Dale Csuhta, Wadsworth, Ohio, 3,532.
13, Hugh Miller, Seattle, 3,526.
14, Robert Flaws, Chicago Ridge, Ill., 3,515.
15, Charlie Tapp, Kalamazoo, Mich., 3,488.
16, Amleto Monacelli, Venezuela, 3,474. - Storm Crossroad/Victory Road Pearl
17, Sammy Ventura, Syracuse, N.Y., 3,468.
18, Patrick King, Yankton, S.D., 3,452.
19, Paul McCordic, Sugar Land, Texas, 3,446.
20, Mike Dias, Lafayette, Colo., 3,445.
21, Ron Winger, Las Vegas, 3,442.
22, a-Doug Spicer, Canton, Mich., 3,436.
23, Johnny Petraglia, Jackson, N.J., 3,428.
24, John Chapman, Canada, 3,401.
25, Ron Mohr, Eagle River, Alaska, 3,399.
26, Dave Bernhardt, Romeo, Mich., 3,392.
27, Dennis Lane, Kingsport, Tenn., 3,381.
28, Don Sylvia, Reno, Nev., 3,376.
29, Kenny Parks, Hammond, Ind., 3,365.
30, Christopher Keane, New City, N.Y., 3,363.
31, Harry Sullins, Chesterfield Twp., Mich., 3,359.
32, Dave Sill, Titusville, Fla., 3,354.
- 8/31/2012: Storm Tips - Understanding Ball Layouts
- 8/30/2012: Storm Announces Collegiate Sponsored Teams For 2012-13 Season
- 8/30/2012: 90-Year Old Bob Romani Fires First Career Perfect Game
- 8/30/2012: Belmo Interview On Above180.com
- 8/29/2012: Storm Tip of the Week
- 8/28/2012: Asbaty, Hulsenberg Lead TEAM USA Women to Gold at PABCON
- 8/27/2012: Ryan Shafer Defends Title in PBA Regional Action
- 8/27/2012: A Tribute to Dr. Enrique C. Yap by Johnson Cheng
- 8/22/2012: The Amazing Bill Fong...
- 8/22/2012: Storm Tip of the Week
- 8/22/2012: Happy Birthday Pete Weber!
- 8/17/2012: Tech Tips with Steve Kloempken - Understanding The Inside of a Bowling Ball
- 8/15/2012: Mohr Wins Final PBA Senior Stop of the Season...Walter Ray Player of the Year...
- 8/15/2012: Leanne Ready for Team USA
- 8/15/2012: Storm Tip of the Week
- 8/14/2012: PBA50 Tour Arrives...
- 8/14/2012: Storm Product Showcase
- 8/13/2012: Stormbowlingshoes.com Launches Worldwide
- 8/10/2012: Hugh Miller Rolls Roto Grip Critical Theory™ to PBA Senior Win...
- 8/10/2012: Tech Tips with Steve Kloempken - Locating the CG of a Bowling Ball
- 8/09/2012: Ballard vs. 'The Big C'
- 8/09/2012: Storm "Urn," Tony Guarino Story Hits the Airways...
- 8/09/2012: Learn Leads Senior South Shore Open with IQ Tour...
- 8/08/2012: Why Storm? Rob Gotchall
- 8/08/2012: Storm Tip of the Week
- 8/06/2012: Jeff Carter's Mary Teubner Memorial Team Challenge Gets Rave Reviews
- 8/06/2012: Sara's Storm Testimonial
- 8/06/2012: Storm Staffers Golden at 50th Lee Evans Tournament of The Americas ...
- 8/03/2012: Storm/Roto Grip Staffers Dominate 2011-12 Bowlers Journal All-American Teams
- 8/02/2012: Master Industries
- 8/02/2012: Storm's Andres Gomez, Manuel Otalora Take Gold at Tournament of Americas...
- 8/01/2012: Storm Staffer Derek Eoff Continues Record Streak...