Bowling News USA - August 6, 2012 Storm Staffers Golden at 50th Lee Evans Tournament of The Americas ...
The U.S. team doubled its gold medal count on the final day of the 50th Lee Evans Tournament of The Americas Saturday at Sawgrass Lanes in Tamarac, FL., as the twenty players, two male and two female bowlers in each of the five age divisions, bagged 14 gold medals in Team, Individual All Events and National All Events to lead the medal tally with 28 gold medals.
Colombia (11), Mexico (4), Dominican Republic and Guatemala (1 each) shared the remaining 17 gold medals. USA's Lucy Sandelin, Tyler Cruz and Kamron Doyle as well as Storm International staffer Manuel Otalora swept all six gold medals in their respective division.
The official results were delayed for one day as Saturday's scores had to be corrected and recalculated, one by one today, according to Paulette Watson, President of the Bowling Tournaments of The Americas Association.
World Games champion Otalora and his team mates, Rocio Restrepo, Storm PBA champion Andres Gomez and his sister Paola Gomez, swept the gold medals in the adult division. The four Colombians (9,575) beat out Venezuela (9,365) and United States (9,329) by 210 and 246 pins, resp., to win the gold medal in the team event.
Otalora had the highest All Events total of all 155 players with 7,961, a 221.14 average, to complete the medal sweep. Restrepo (7,159) averaged 198.86 for 36 games to capture the Adult Women gold medal. The Colombians were the only team in the tournament that averaged over 200 en route to win the National All Events title with 205.41 average. Laura Plazas added the 11th gold medal for Colombia in Junior Female B (ages 12-15) division.
The U.S. Team won all other gold medals in Team and National All Events and claimed six out of ten Individual All Events titles.
Lucy Sandelin earned her sixth gold medal of the tournament in the women's in the Super Senior division with 7,201 total and an average of 200.03 for 36 games. Tyler Cruz and Kamron Doyle followed in Sandelin's foot prints as they won their sixth gold medal in boys Junior A (ages 16-19) and Junior B division with 7,436 (206,56) and 7,417 (206.03).
Storm Senior staffers Brian Brazeau and Ed Roberts took the gold medals in men's Senior and Super Senior division with 7,337 (203.81) and 7,415 (205.97), while Holly Harris finished atop the Junior Female A division with 6,846 (190.17).
Maria Teresa Piccini beat out Paula Vidad, United States, by just five pins in the Women's Senior division to capture her second gold medal of the TofA and the fourth for Mexico with 6,721 (186,69).
155 players from 16 countries participated in the 50th Lee Evans Tournament of the Americas, the oldest annual international tournament in the American Zone.
The invitational tournament for PABCON (Pan American Bowling Confederation) member federations has five divisions for men and women: Adult, Senior (ages 50-plus for men, 45-plus for women), Super Senior (ages 60-plus for men, 55-plus for women), Junior A (ages 16-19) and Junior B (ages 12-15).
In each division, one team comprised of two men and two women competed in Singles, Doubles, Mixed Doubles and Mixed Team event throughout the week-long tournament. After 36 games, Individual All Events and National All Events champions were recognized.
- 8/31/2012: Storm Tips - Understanding Ball Layouts
- 8/30/2012: Storm Announces Collegiate Sponsored Teams For 2012-13 Season
- 8/30/2012: 90-Year Old Bob Romani Fires First Career Perfect Game
- 8/30/2012: Belmo Interview On Above180.com
- 8/29/2012: Storm Tip of the Week
- 8/28/2012: Asbaty, Hulsenberg Lead TEAM USA Women to Gold at PABCON
- 8/27/2012: Ryan Shafer Defends Title in PBA Regional Action
- 8/27/2012: A Tribute to Dr. Enrique C. Yap by Johnson Cheng
- 8/22/2012: The Amazing Bill Fong...
- 8/22/2012: Storm Tip of the Week
- 8/22/2012: Happy Birthday Pete Weber!
- 8/17/2012: Tech Tips with Steve Kloempken - Understanding The Inside of a Bowling Ball
- 8/15/2012: Mohr Wins Final PBA Senior Stop of the Season...Walter Ray Player of the Year...
- 8/15/2012: Leanne Ready for Team USA
- 8/15/2012: Storm Tip of the Week
- 8/14/2012: PBA50 Tour Arrives...
- 8/14/2012: Storm Product Showcase
- 8/13/2012: Stormbowlingshoes.com Launches Worldwide
- 8/10/2012: Hugh Miller Rolls Roto Grip Critical Theory™ to PBA Senior Win...
- 8/10/2012: Tech Tips with Steve Kloempken - Locating the CG of a Bowling Ball
- 8/09/2012: Ballard vs. 'The Big C'
- 8/09/2012: Storm "Urn," Tony Guarino Story Hits the Airways...
- 8/09/2012: Learn Leads Senior South Shore Open with IQ Tour...
- 8/08/2012: Why Storm? Rob Gotchall
- 8/08/2012: Storm Tip of the Week
- 8/06/2012: Jeff Carter's Mary Teubner Memorial Team Challenge Gets Rave Reviews
- 8/06/2012: Sara's Storm Testimonial
- 8/06/2012: Storm Staffers Golden at 50th Lee Evans Tournament of The Americas ...
- 8/03/2012: Storm/Roto Grip Staffers Dominate 2011-12 Bowlers Journal All-American Teams
- 8/02/2012: Master Industries
- 8/02/2012: Storm's Andres Gomez, Manuel Otalora Take Gold at Tournament of Americas...
- 8/01/2012: Storm Staffer Derek Eoff Continues Record Streak...