Bowling News USA - July 16, 2012 Stavros Parasakis Wins 8th Storm San Marino Open
Stavros Parasakis of Greece made history when he defeated Stuart Williams of England, 466-456, to capture the title and the 10.000 top prize in the 8th Storm San Marino Open Sunday evening at Rose'n Bowl in Serravalle, San Marino.
It was the first-ever title for a Greek bowler, man or woman, in the 13-year history of the European Bowling Tour.
Parasakis, seeded sixth for the single-elimination match play finals, took a 39-pin lead after the first game of the championship match with a 242-203 win. All matches consisted of two games, with total pins determining the winners.
Williams, seeded fourth, who was trying to win his seventh career EBT title, rebounded with 253 in game two, but Parasakis maintained a 10-pin lead with 224 to wrap up the title.
In the semifinal match between England's two PBA champions, Williams fired games of 280 and 279 to fly past No. 3 seed,Dominic Barrett 559-433. Barrett advanced to the semis with a 534-379 victory over Stamatis Roros, Greece, in which he rolled the lone 300 game of the tournament. The defeat in the semifinal costs the 2010 EBT point ranking champion the lead in the 2012 ranking.
In the other semifinal match, Parasakis stunned No. 2 seeded, Martin Larsen of Sweden, 469-445. Williams earned 6.009 Euro for second place. Larsen and Barrett received 3.400 apiece for third and fourth place.
USBC Masters champion Mike Fagan of the United States did not compete in San Marino but maintained a slim 25-point lead in the EBT men's ranking with 470 total points. Barrett moved into second place at 445 with Williams in third at 364. Parasakis rocketed into 17th place with 150 points, the points he received in San Marino.
Laurence Gaillard of France was the best of woman in the 242 player field from 21 countries en route to win the women's ranking and 150 points. Gaillard was the only woman who survived the qualifying cut to the top 48 but was eliminated in the first round finishing the tournament in 41st place.
The European Bowling Tour is heading to Spain next week for the 34th Trofeu Internacional Ciutat de Barcelona, which will be held at Bowling Pedralbes in Barcelona from July 17-22
- 7/29/2012: Osku Palermaa Over Barrett for EBT Title
- 7/25/2012: Tony Guarino - A Part Of Storm Forever!
- 7/25/2012: Summer Lesson Program with Storm Coaches Set in Wisconsin
- 7/16/2012: Stavros Parasakis Wins 8th Storm San Marino Open
- 7/15/2012: Storm Continues PBA Dominance...#1 at GEICO PBA Summer Shootout....
- 7/11/2012: Now Available From Storm - IQ™, IQ Tour Edition, Fire Road™, and Brain Storm™
- 7/10/2012: Lindsay Boomershine Brings Home Three Women's USBC Titles..
- 7/08/2012: James Hall Wins the ABT Summer Nationals Tournament at Sam's Town...
- 7/07/2012: Tim O'Neil Wins the True Amateur Tournament Summer Classic at Gold Coast..$20,000 Payday!
- 7/07/2012: 2012 July High Roller Highlights
- 7/06/2012: Minnesota's Scott Pohl Marches to July High Roller Title...$20,000 Winner at Orleans
- 7/04/2012: Dan Bock, Cassandra Leuthold Earn Sweeper, VIP Wins at July High Roller
- 7/03/2012: Storm's Sam Cooley Wins All Events Crown at World Youth Championships
- 7/02/2012: Xtra Frame Extra
- 7/01/2012: 2012 July High Roller, True Amateur Tournament, July ABT Summer Nationals Underway in Las Vegas...