Bowling News USA - May 22, 2012 Alex Liew Wins 9th Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge...
Malaysian National Bowler Alex Liew, captured the 9th Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge at the Pearl Bowling Center in HP Pearl Sports Center.
Liew received his well earned champion’s trophy and 1,000,000 pesos at the Heritage Hotel during the victory banquet.
Stage II of the Euro-Med Storm Challenge Finals was again led by Indonesian National Team and Storm staffer Ryan Lalisang, with a 2056 series over eight games. Ryan rolled the ninth perfect game of the tournament on 17-18 to average an amazing 257. Malaysian south paw Alex Liew bowled a 2012 series to take the second spot while Thailand Storm staff Surasak Manuwong took third with 1991 series. Australian Storm staffer George Frilingos, who finished second last year, is back in the finals with 1974 series to finish ahead of Sin Li Jane of Malaysia, on lady left in the finals, who bowled a 1958 series.
Singaporean staffer Remy Ong, was four pin short of Jane to finish in the eighth spot. Korean pro bowler Jeong Tae Hwa finished in seventh with a 1925 series while Malaysia’s Aris Ardila snuck into the top eight by striking out for a 1921 series. The top eight now goes into a round robin match play where the top four will advance to a step ladder format to determine the champion.
Stage III was even more exciting as it came down to the very last shot to determine who would make it to the finals step ladder. Singaporean Storm staff Remy Ong had to throw three consecutive strike to stay in the fourth and final spot as Malaysian National Bowler Sin Li Jane made a run by also striking out and just missing the cut by two pins. Alex Liew took the top seed by rolling a 1947 series over eight games. Korean pro bowler Jeong Tae Hwa finished with a 1923 series to take the second position a mere one pin ahead of Frilingos. Remy is the final finalist with 1913. The final four then proceeded to the step ladder format.
During the step ladder format a pair of left handers met on lane 5-6, with Remy Ong challenging George Frilingos, a repeat of the position round. A total of 18 strikes were thrown between the two with Remy getting the upper hand this time beating George 273-259. Ong earned the right to bowl Jeong Tae Hwa. The match between Ong and Jeong was even more exciting as both bowlers rolled eight strikes each. The difference was a missed spare in the third frame. Tae Hwa still had a chance to win or tie the match but came up with a heavy hit almost tripping out a 4pin. Remy won the match 248-237 to meet top qualifier Alex Liew, setting up an all south paw match up. If Alex wins the first match he will capture the title, Remy needed to defeat Alex twice to win the title and one million pesos. The fans were treated to a spectacular show as both players were almost perfect through the first nine frames as both bowlers had eight strikes and a spare. The difference was in the tenth as Liew struck out in the tenth to finish with a 280 game and Ong threw a split resulting in an open and a 247 game.
Euro-Med Laboratories and Storm Bowling Products Inc. have been the title sponsor for this Challenge for the past nine years and have seen this tournament grow in stature and the quality of the competition. Bowlmart Training Institute did a very good job in maintaining the lanes and ensuring that the lanes meet the world standard and also to make sure that there is parity in the playing field, favoring no particular style of side. Manila Bulletin and Sports Weekly, the media partners, have done a fantastic job keeping the public aware and informed of all the scores and news involving the challenge, while Heritage Hotel has been a terrific job in hosting the foreign guest and victory banquet as the official hotel. Bevida Distilled and Drinking Water, Ark International, Coca Cola products, Wave Products, Manila Prime Holdings, Quantum Science, Roto Grip, AZO, ASI, EGI, and Premiere Insurance & Surety Corporation are the other sponsors who made this tournament a success.
- 5/30/2012: Belmonte Finishes Second in PBA Player of the Year Voting
- 5/29/2012: Manic, Fringe, Tropical Heat, and Tropical Breeze Sweepstakes Winners Announced
- 5/28/2012: David Simard Over Maclelland at 2012 Canadian National Championships...
- 5/23/2012: PBA Summer Shootout Rolls in Windy City...
- 5/23/2012: Illinois State Bowling Proprietors Association Youths Crowned..
- 5/22/2012: Alex Liew Wins 9th Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge...
- 5/22/2012: Shawn Beam Fires First 300 In American Wheelchair Bowling Association History!
- 5/19/2012: Storm's Martin Larsen Wins PBA Steve Nagy Sportsmanship Award...
- 5/18/2012: Lalisang, Frillingos Excel at 9th Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge
- 5/17/2012: In-Stadium Coaching Helps Bowlers at USBC Women's Championships
- 5/17/2012: Jimmy Schmitzer Shoots 900 With Storm Virtual Gravity Nano!
- 5/15/2012: 9th Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge Underway
- 5/15/2012: Andres, Paola Gomez Storm PABCON
- 5/14/2012: Bob Learn Jr. Fires Victory Road™ Pearl for First PBA Senior Win...
- 5/10/2012: Storm Announces Winners of Queens Watch & Win Contest
- 5/09/2012: The Schlemer Report – 2012 USBC Queens
- 5/07/2012: Jason Belmonte Interview on Above180.com
- 5/01/2012: Storm's Martin Larsen Wins EBT Tournament in Munich...