Bowling News USA - March 8, 2012 YES Fund High School Grant Program Makes Award To Illinois School
ARLINGTON, Texas - Abingdon High School in Abingdon, IL., has been selected to receive a $2,500 grant through the Youth Education Services (YES) Fund High School Grant Program.
After more than a 15-year absence, Abingdon revived its once-successful bowling program this season. The high school had won state titles in girls bowling in 1973, 1976 and 1979, but the program ended in the 1990s. A student survey showed overwhelming support to bring back the sport, and 27 of the school's 249 students signed up when the bowling program returned with both a boys' and girls' team.
"With Abingdon's rich bowling history, resurrecting the bowling team has already created a positive buzz in the community," David J. Black, superintendent of the Abingdon Community Unit School District, said in the school's grant application. "Thanks to the support of this grant, Abingdon will have a chance to reestablish itself as one of the premier, downstate bowling programs in the state."
With no available funds from the district for this season, the bowling team had fundraisers and also received assistance from the local Kiwanis organization and the high school booster club. Projected costs for the season were nearly $8,000, including lane time for practices/meets, travel costs and uniforms.
Head coach Amanda Stenger, along with Black and athletic director Joe Nichols, worked together on the application to the High School Grant Program, which provides assistance to bowling programs that have a financial need because of budget cuts or other changes, and to schools that request funding to start a new program. The grant program, administered by the International Bowling Campus Youth Development Team, can award up to four $2,500 grants a year.
"This will help our program tremendously," Stenger, who coaches both the boys' and girls' teams with assistant Steve Batson, said of the grant. "We were using borrowed balls and used ones. This will definitely help us get some team equipment. This grant will also allow us to continue to provide time for our bowlers to use our bowling center and continue to get better."
Stenger said the teams did well in their first season, with every bowler improving over the course of the season. The boys finished sixth out of 13 teams at their sectional, while the girls were 12th out of 19 teams.
"Because of our YES Fund partners, these grants are available to schools such as Abingdon that need assistance," said IBC Managing Director of Youth Development Chad Murphy. "The students have shown they want to compete in the sport and hopefully this grant will help to build a successful program."
- 3/31/2012: Storm and insidebowling.com bring you the PDW Masters Golf Challenge!
- 3/30/2012: The Schlemer Report - USBC Nationals
- 3/30/2012: The Schlemer Report - Roth/Holman Doubles
- 3/29/2012: Storm Instructional Series - Locating Your Positive Axis Point
- 3/27/2012: Storm REwind - 2012 Mark Roth/Marshall Holman PBA Doubles Championship
- 3/24/2012: Duke/Malott Bring Another Title Home for Storm/Roto Grip
- 3/23/2012: Andrew Kleutgen Uses Storm Frantic En Route To Singles Lead At USBC Open Championships
- 3/23/2012: Kevin Punzel Fires 888 With Storm Vivid!
- 3/21/2012: Mark Roth - Marshall Holman PBA Doubles on ESPN Sunday...
- 3/20/2012: Osku Palermaa Wins 9th Kuwait International Open
- 3/20/2012: Storm Announces Winners Of The Vivid Sweepstakes
- 3/15/2012: Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge Information
- 3/15/2012: The Storm Vivid™ - Taking It To The Streets
- 3/14/2012: Clay Rees Kingpin at Border Wars...
- 3/14/2012: Above180.com Interviews Pete Weber and Del Ballard
- 3/13/2012: Storm's Andrew Frawley Marches to Asian Bowling Federation Win
- 3/12/2012: Field Determined For Intercollegiate Collegiate Team Championships
- 3/11/2012: Norm Duke Over Koivuniemi For 35th Career PBA Title
- 3/11/2012: Paeng Nepomuceno Storms to 124th Masters Title
- 3/10/2012: Osku Victorious in Bahrain
- 3/09/2012: CBS Sports Network To Air USBC Intercollegiate Team and Singles Championships
- 3/08/2012: The Schlemer Report - WSOB Geico Shark Open
- 3/08/2012: YES Fund High School Grant Program Makes Award To Illinois School
- 3/08/2012: Pete Weber Named February BWAA Bowler Of The Month
- 3/07/2012: Belmo, Hulsenberg, Tom Baker Make All-American Squads
- 3/07/2012: USBC Senior Queens To Cap Off Senior Women's Triple Crown Series
- 3/07/2012: Storm's Hank Boomershine on Phantom Radio
- 3/06/2012: First Responders Team Event Set for May in Las Vegas
- 3/06/2012: JANBA Bowlers Finding Success With Storm Vivid
- 3/04/2012: Belmonte Outduels Barnes To Continue Storm Run
- 3/02/2012: Is Pete Weber The Greatest Bowler of All-Time?
- 3/01/2012: Belmonte Hopes To Filet The Shark Sunday
- 3/01/2012: Serenade The IAB And Win A Storm Ball!
- 3/01/2012: The Schlemer Report - The 69th US Open