Bowling News USA - February 20, 2012 Scott Newell Rides the Victory Road™ Solid to PBA Ricart Ford Open Win
Despite rolling a gutter ball on his first shot of the opening stepladder match, Scott Newell of Deland, Fla., quickly regained his composure to win three consecutive matches for the PBA Ricart Ford Open presented by Columbia 300 title Sunday at Sequoia Pro Bowl.
Roto Grip Marketing Manager Chris Schlemer reports that Newell used a Storm Victory Road Solid the entire show, after using a Marvel™ and Marvel™ Pearl earlier in the week.
The 28-year-old Newell won his first Tour title by defeating tournament leader and one-time Tour winner Ryan Ciminelli of Cheektowaga, N.Y., 247-245, in a title match that went down to the 10th frame. Leaving the tricky 2-8 on the first ball of the 10th frame, Newell was able to make the spare and then strike on the final ball for the victory.
The win was the fifth victory for Storm and Roto Grip on the 2011/12 PBA Tour, and fourth win in the last six events.
“I may have looked composed on the outside but I was shaking on the inside,” said Newell who owns three regional tour titles and a best previous Tour finish of 12th. “I just had to take a deep breath and remind myself to stay focused and do what I do best.”
In the semi-final match, Newell survived another nail biter when he defeated three-time Tour titlist and Storm staffer Rhino Page of Dade City, Fla., 238-237. In that match he had to convert a 10-pin on the final shot to secure the win.
“You try to prepare yourself the best you can for pressure situations but you never know how you’re going to perform until those situations present themselves,” Newell said. “A lot of people say you have the ability and you can get it done but it’s just a great relief when you finally do.”
In the first frame of the opening stepladder match against Storm's Dom Barrett of England, Newell threw the gutter ball after it hit his ankle which he admitted was a sign of his nervousness. He regained his composure enough to then make the spare and went on to defeat Barrett 255-202.
“It was just a matter of getting too quick with my feet and my timing was off,” Newell said. “It was probably good that I made that mistake right away because I could then put it behind me and get on with the rest of the match.”
Barrett was trying for his second Tour title after winning the PBA Scorpion Open which, ironically, was aired on an ESPN taped-delayed telecast earlier in the day.
The Ricart Ford Open was the second PBA Tour event streamed live exclusively on pba.com’s Xtra Frame online bowling channel. Two more Xtra Frame events are scheduled during the remainder of the season.
The next stop for the PBA Tour will be the 69th U.S. Open—the third major of the season— from Brunswick Zone Carolier in North Brunswick, N.J., Feb. 20-26. .
PBA RICART FORD OPEN PRESENTED BY COLUMBIA 300
Sequoia Pro Bowl, Columbus, Ohio, Sunday
1, Scott Newell, Deland, Fla., three games, 740 pins, $10,000
2, Ryan Ciminelli, Cheektowaga, N.Y., one game, 245 pins, $5,000
3, Rhino Page, Dade City, Fla., one game, 237 pins, $3,000
4, Dom Barrett, England, one game, 202 pins, $2,500
Match One – Newell def. Barrett, 255-202
Semifinal match – Newell def. Page, 238-237
Championship match – Newell def. Ciminelli, 247-245
Storm/Roto Grip Wins - 2012 PBA Tour
1. 2012 PBA Ricart Ford Open - Scott Newell - Storm Victory Road™ Solid
2. 2012 PBA Scorpion Open - Dominic Barrett - Storm Marvel Pearl™/Roto Grip Critical Theory™
3. 2012 PBA Chameleon Open - Jason Belmonte - Storm Marvel Pearl™/Roto Grip Outlaw™
4. 2012 PBA Viper Open - Stuart Williams - Storm Victory Road™ Solid/Tropical Heat™
5. 2012 PBA World Championship - Osku Palermaa - Storm Hy-Road™/Roto Grip Outlaw™/Defiant™
- 2/29/2012: Red Rock Resort Rolls Out the Red Carpet for Xtravaganza Bowlers and Guests
- 2/29/2012: Storm Staff Member and USBC Hall Of Fame Member, Jeff Richgels, Featured on Phantom Radio
- 2/28/2012: PDW Media STORM!
- 2/27/2012: Watch PDW's March to Victory!
- 2/26/2012: Pete Weber Storm's To Record Fifth U.S Open Title
- 2/26/2012: Weber Does It...Another Major for Pete!
- 2/24/2012: Shafer Stays in Front at The Open...
- 2/23/2012: Sectional Field Announced For 2012 USBC Intercollegiate Team Championships
- 2/22/2012: Shafer Powers to Open Lead...
- 2/22/2012: Sandra Andersson Notches First EBT Title with Marvel Pearl™
- 2/22/2012: The Schlemer Report - Scorpion Open
- 2/21/2012: Brian Kretzer Chasing MacLelland at The Open...
- 2/20/2012: Norm Duke Ready to Defend at U.S Open...
- 2/20/2012: Scott Newell Rides the Victory Road™ Solid to PBA Ricart Ford Open Win
- 2/19/2012: Barrett Keeps the STORM TRAIN Rolling...
- 2/17/2012: The Storm Vivid™
- 2/17/2012: Jason Couch, Gene Stus Elected to PBA Hall of Fame
- 2/16/2012: Storm's Dom Barrett, PA, On ESPN Sunday...
- 2/14/2012: Storm Modern Marvel™ Review with Chase Nadeau
- 2/13/2012: 2012 USBC Open Championships Underway in Baton Rouge
- 2/11/2012: Belmonte Secures Second Title...
- 2/11/2012: Josh Blanchard, Bryon Smith Storm To PBA Regional Players Doubles Championship
- 2/10/2012: Pete Thomas Rolls To $20,000 High Roller Win
- 2/10/2012: Belmo, Osku...Tale of the Two - Handers
- 2/10/2012: 2012 February High Roller Update
- 2/08/2012: Belmo, Osku On ESPN Sunday...
- 2/07/2012: 2012 February High Roller/TAT Underway in Las Vegas
- 2/06/2012: 2012 Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational Highlights
- 2/06/2012: Blake Griffin, PDW Dethrone Belmonte, Chris Paul
- 2/01/2012: Frilingos wins Sunraysia Tenpin Cup
- 2/01/2012: Storm Products, Inc. Adds Del Ballard As Tour Consultant
- 2/01/2012: Clean Sweep - Storm Balls Win All Categories in Bowlers Journal Ball of the Year!