Bowling News USA - December 27, 2011 Staffers Duke and Hulsenberg Compete in "Beat the Champ" Event
HULSENBERG 670, DUKE 652 AS CHAMPS ENTERS ITS SECOND HALF-CENTURY
Leanne Hulsenberg and Norm Duke gave Chicagoland league bowlers a fighting chance to top the target scores they posted for the 51st Annual Beat The Champions Contest.
Hulsenberg, who won the Women’s U.S. Open at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, last summer, made history again on her way to a 670 series at Funway Entertainment Center in Batavia. Her first game – 277 – topped the mark for the women’s high target score game on the Christmas Day broadcast by one pin. (Tennelle Grijalva-Milligan rolled a 276 game in 2000-01.)
The former Leanne Barrette, a 26-time champion on the now-defunct women’s pro tour, delighted spectators by converting the 3-4-6-7-9-10 split late in her third game. She sandwiched a 209 game between her record-setting opener and her closing 184 score.
Duke, a 34-time PBA titlist and two-time U.S. Open winner, tossed games of 235-183-234/652 in his third Champs appearance. His total was 55 pins shy of the 707 he rolled in 2001-02, but 59 pins better than the 593 he turned in three years ago.
Not to be outdone by Hulsenberg’s tricky split conversion, Duke used his bowling-towel trick shot to close out the match with a strike.
A recent addition to the Comcast SportsNet show, the Miller Lite-sponsored “Charity Strikes,” allows the pros setting the target scores to have a stake in the action. Miller Lite donates $100 to a pro’s designated charity every time he or she strikes in the fifth and 10th frames.
Duke’s seven strikes this year earned $700 for “Strikes for Sy,” a charity that raises funds for young Silas Harger, who suffers from eosinophilic esophagitis (swelling of the esophagus).
Hulsenberg’s five strikes netted $500 for the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame.
League bowlers whose handicap scores (90 percent of 210) from the week of Dec. 4-10 topped Hulsenberg’s and Duke’s totals will receive an “I Beat The Champ” gift for their efforts.
Bowlers whose scores were tops in their centers, as well as those who were high in leagues that had 100 percent participation in Champs, advance to the Sectional Roll-offs in February. They will be vying at that time to become one of the 32 men and 32 women who move on to the finals in March, where first prize is a 2012 Ford Focus automobile.
The annual Beat The Champions contest is co-sponsored by the Chicago Sun-Times and the Chicagoland Bowling Proprietors Association. The tournament, which costs $3 to enter, raised $2,738,575.52 for charity in its first 50 years.
(Story courtesy of the Illinois Sate Bowling Proprietors Association)
For more information on the Illinois State Bowling Proprietors, please visit their website: Bowl Illinois
- 12/29/2011: The Bowling Foundation, YES Fund Help High School Team After Fire
- 12/28/2011: PDW Returns to ESPN this Sunday...
- 12/27/2011: Staffers Duke and Hulsenberg Compete in "Beat the Champ" Event
- 12/22/2011: Belmo Honored in Orange...
- 12/22/2011: Storm Staffer Shoots 300 and Wins New Car
- 12/22/2011: Sean Swanson & Casey Murphy Win Holiday Doubles 2011
- 12/22/2011: Ohio High School Bowler Fires 599 For 2 Games With Storm Victory Road Solid
- 12/21/2011: Andres Gomez Excels at Colombian Team Trials...
- 12/20/2011: The Schlemer Report - PBA World Championship: Billy Hardwick Division
- 12/19/2011: Belmonte Wins 47th Bowling World Cup
- 12/19/2011: Shafer Advances at PBA World Championship...
- 12/14/2011: Osku Stays Red Hot with Victory at Swedish Super Six Event...
- 12/14/2011: The Schlemer Report - PBA World Championship: Don Carter Division
- 12/13/2011: Shafer, Gomez and Ruiz Make PBA World Championship Telecast...
- 12/12/2011: Storm Supports The Fight Against Diabetes.
- 12/11/2011: Osku Advances at PBA World Championship...
- 12/09/2011: Storm's Diandra Asbaty Runner-up at World Cup..
- 12/07/2011: Belmo on Fire...Wins World Cup in South Africa...
- 12/07/2011: Belmonte Reigns as BWAA Bowler of the Month
- 12/07/2011: Belmonte, Asbaty Roll for World Cup Titles...
- 12/07/2011: PBA World Championship Division Finals Set for ESPN...
- 12/04/2011: CDB Rolls to WBT Title in Las Vegas...
- 12/03/2011: Are You Ready For Some Action?