Bowling News USA - December 22, 2011 Ohio High School Bowler Fires 599 For 2 Games With Storm Victory Road Solid
The term “strike” isn’t used often in Ottawa high school sports circles.
During the month-long baseball season, pitchers will throw the ball and wait for the umpire to call: “Strike.”
Soccer players looking to score a goal will try to strike the ball with the right force and at the right angle beat the goalkeeper.
If you were in the United States, high school student/athletes head for the bowling lanes with the aim of putting together a string of strikes.
During a tri-match competition on Monday at the Stow-Kent Family Entertainment Center in Stow, Ohio, a suburb of Akron, Tyler Meredith was the master of the strike.
During his two-game series for the Stow-Munroe Falls High School Bulldogs against neighbouring Brunswick and Hudson, Meredith came within one pin of bowling back-to-back perfect games of 300 in 10-pin bowling. Meredith used a Victory Road Solid to accomplish the feat.
In his first game, the Grade 11 student/athlete rolled 11 consecutive strikes before leaving one pin standing after his final ball for a 299.
Still in the grove, Meredith went one pin better in his second game with 12 straight strikes for a 300.
His accomplishment is believed to be a state high school record for a two-game series.
The ball was drilled by Don Hogue at North Star Pro Shop
What made this feat even more impressive was Meredith probably bowled his worst two-game series the previous week.
“You know as a coach that they’re capable, but when they bowl bad you’re not quiet sure what to say except wait till next time,” Stow-Munroe Falls boys’ bowling coach Glenn Duncan wrote on the school’s website.
“After bowling what could have been his lowest two-game series, JR Tyler Meredith came back home to Stow-Kent Family Entertainment (Monday) to bowl what is most likely the record high series for high school bowling in a two-game series of 299-300-599. OUTSTANDING.”
Looking rather serious after the final strike of his perfect game and being congratulated by high-fiving teammates and members of the other two teams, Meredith appeared to break down and cry.
But Meredith wasn’t the only Bulldog bowler putting up big numbers. Mike Edwards, a Grade 10 student, scored 278-206-484, and senior Brent Botzer went 236-236-472.
Stow-Munroe Falls won the tri-match with 2,758 pins, while Brunswick had 2,236 and Hudson counted 1,737.
To watch a video of Meredith’s final strike, go to the web address below:
- 12/29/2011: The Bowling Foundation, YES Fund Help High School Team After Fire
- 12/28/2011: PDW Returns to ESPN this Sunday...
- 12/27/2011: Staffers Duke and Hulsenberg Compete in "Beat the Champ" Event
- 12/22/2011: Belmo Honored in Orange...
- 12/22/2011: Storm Staffer Shoots 300 and Wins New Car
- 12/22/2011: Sean Swanson & Casey Murphy Win Holiday Doubles 2011
- 12/22/2011: Ohio High School Bowler Fires 599 For 2 Games With Storm Victory Road Solid
- 12/21/2011: Andres Gomez Excels at Colombian Team Trials...
- 12/20/2011: The Schlemer Report - PBA World Championship: Billy Hardwick Division
- 12/19/2011: Belmonte Wins 47th Bowling World Cup
- 12/19/2011: Shafer Advances at PBA World Championship...
- 12/14/2011: Osku Stays Red Hot with Victory at Swedish Super Six Event...
- 12/14/2011: The Schlemer Report - PBA World Championship: Don Carter Division
- 12/13/2011: Shafer, Gomez and Ruiz Make PBA World Championship Telecast...
- 12/12/2011: Storm Supports The Fight Against Diabetes.
- 12/11/2011: Osku Advances at PBA World Championship...
- 12/09/2011: Storm's Diandra Asbaty Runner-up at World Cup..
- 12/07/2011: Belmo on Fire...Wins World Cup in South Africa...
- 12/07/2011: Belmonte Reigns as BWAA Bowler of the Month
- 12/07/2011: Belmonte, Asbaty Roll for World Cup Titles...
- 12/07/2011: PBA World Championship Division Finals Set for ESPN...
- 12/04/2011: CDB Rolls to WBT Title in Las Vegas...
- 12/03/2011: Are You Ready For Some Action?