Bowling News USA - November 28, 2011 Storm's Brian Himmler Captures Super Hoinke Title...
Storm Staffer Brian Himmler of Cincinnati, Ohio has won the 2011 Super Hoinke Classic. The tournament is held at S&S Western Bowl in Cincinnati.
Himmler, a four-time champion on the PBA Tour, used the Storm Victory Road™ and Victory Road™ Soild for the $3100 first place payday.
“I grew up bowling a lot of action around the Super Hoinke tournament,” said Himmler recently at a PBA event in Las Vegas, NV.
The Hoinke Classic and Super Hoinke Classic have a rich bowling history. 'The Hoinke' originated in 1943 during World War II when Mr. Erwin C. Hoinke, Sr., and Mr. Clarence Stegner involved themselves in a patriotic endeavor to assist the cause of the United States and also promote interest in bowling. The prizes during these early years were War Bonds and Stamps.
During this period the tournament was a Singles and Doubles Classic for bowlers averaging 182 and under. Mr. Stegner donated the First Prize of a $1,000.00 War Bond each year.
The Singles format as it is today started in 1950 with 532 entries and a $1,000.00 First Prize. Mr. Hoinke, well known in the bowling business, gave great credibility to the tournament and through his persistent efforts, a steady growth in entries and prize money evolved.
In 1960 a Team event was introduced with a First Prize of $1,500.00 and 416 entries. In 1980 there were 6,146 entries and a First Prize of $40.000.00. With both the Singles and Team events growing each year, additional lanes were made available when the Singles event moved to its present location at Western Bowl. In 1965 the Doubles event was started with 1915 entries and a First Prize of $2,000.00. The great popularity of this event produced 14,920 entries in 1980 and a First Prize of $30,000.00.
In 1970 "old Hoinke Lanes" was phased out and all three events were conducted at the present location. The larger facility made it possible to accommodate many more bowlers and a steady pattern of continued growth followed.
Bowlers have been attracted to the Classic from near and far. The Big Money prizes strike hard at the competitive and gambling instincts of both the scratch and handicap bowlers.
Growth over the past 50 years has resulted in 22 consecutive payoffs of over $1,000,000.00. Participants, both men and women, come from all over the world to Cincinnati to enjoy the competition. To equalize lower average bowlers, the bowler receives additional pins which are added to their total score. Whomever knocks down the most pins plus their handicap pins is the winner. Everyone has a chance in the Hoinke Classic as proven by Canadian Toni Schroeder. When this petite, 130 pound, 5'3" lady who averages 160 used a 12 1/2# ball to win the $50,000.00 First Prize check in 1980.
- 11/30/2011: Hank Boomershine Becomes USBC Gold Coach
- 11/30/2011: Classic Bowl Fights Back!
- 11/30/2011: GEICO World Bowling Tour Finals Kick Off 2011-12 PBA Season
- 11/29/2011: Barrett Downs Koivuniemi in Qatar...
- 11/28/2011: Storm's Brian Himmler Captures Super Hoinke Title...
- 11/27/2011: Colorado Bowler Fires 899 With Storm Frantic!
- 11/27/2011: Remy Ong Storm's to Victory at Singapore National Championships...
- 11/27/2011: Issac Amkie Rolls Virtual Gravity™ Nano to Senior Classic Win...
- 11/23/2011: The Storm Frantic™
- 11/18/2011: Storm Sponsored Morehead State Captures Southern Collegiate Classic Title
- 11/17/2011: Storm Sponsored McKendree Women's Bowling Team Wins First Tournament of Season!
- 11/16/2011: Duke Magic Returns in Las Vegas...
- 11/14/2011: Andres Gomez Leads Carmen Salvino Classic
- 11/13/2011: Aguiar, Bohn Combine for Doubles Victory at South Point
- 11/09/2011: 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling Report - 11/9/11
- 11/08/2011: 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling Report - 11/8/11
- 11/07/2011: 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling Report - 11/7/11
- 11/06/2011: 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling Report - 11/6/11
- 11/05/2011: 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling Report - 11/5/11
- 11/04/2011: Storm's Tina Stickney Wins WBA Event
- 11/02/2011: It Pays to Use Storm!
- 11/02/2011: Frank Clark Takes Home the Hardware at the Huntsman World Senior Games with Storm!
- 11/01/2011: Storm Announces Winners Of Virtual Gravity Nano Pearl and Frantic Giveaway!