Bowling News USA - November 7, 2011 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling Report - 11/7/11
Storm's Dom Barrett Leads on the Scorpion...Staffers continue assault at WSOB.
International players continued to make an impact at the World Series of Bowling as Storm's Dom Barrett of England earned top-qualifier honors in the PBA Scorpion Open Monday at the South Point Bowling Center.
Barrett bowled a 3,264 14-game pinfall total (233.1 average) with the help of a 1,453 six-game block on games of 248, 277, 210, 241, 178 and 299 in the final round.
Barrett will be joined by PBA Tour titlist Dave Wodka of Henderson, Nev., four-time Tour titlist Sean Rash of Montgomery, Ill., and 13-time Tour winner Patrick Allen of Baltimore in the Scorpion Open ESPN Eliiminator finals which will be taped at 6 p.m. PT on Nov. 18.
Barrett, who currently ranks fifth on the European Bowling Tour points list, won his first PBA title in a regional tournament in Reno last weekend on his way to the World Series.
“I came here to win one of these tournaments,” Barrett said. “Winning the regional gave me a lot of confidence. This is going to be my first (PBA) show and I couldn’t be happier.
“The key to my success so far has been taking advantage of every minute of practice time I’ve had since I’ve been here to work on everything from making adjustments to selecting the right ball.”
Rash earned his third straight television final, and fortified his lead after 24 games of PBA World Championship qualifying.
Rash, who has already qualified for the ESPN televised finals of the Bayer Viper Open and Chameleon Open, had a 1,870 eight-game pinfall total in the morning qualifying round.
“Having already made two TV shows helps loosen up your arm swing,” he added. “I’ve bowled well in all three World Series events and the All-In Showdown. All you ever want to do is give yourself a chance to win. If you give yourself enough chances, you’ll win and that’s what I’m trying to do.”
With the conclusion of Monday’s eight-game Scorpion qualifying round, the fourth and final animal pattern is tomorrow’s GEICO Shark Open. After the Shark round, the top 53 players based on 32 games will advance to Wednesday’s eight-game PBA World Championship cashers round. After a total of 40 games, the top 16 players will advance to the ESPN-televised elimination finals in the first PBA major championship of the season.
PBA SCORPION OPEN
South Point Bowling Center, Las Vegas, Monday
(After 14 games; top 4 advance to ESPN finals)
1, Dom Barrett, England, 3,264. (Storm Staff)
2, Dave Wodka, Henderson, Nev., 3,247.
3, Sean Rash, Montgomery, Ill., 3,217.
4, Patrick Allen, Baltimore, 3,212.
DID NOT ADVANCE (after 14 games)
5, Osku Palermaa, Finland, 3,187, $2,500. (Storm Staff)
6, Mika Koivuniemi, Finland, 3,162, $2,400.
7, Ji-Hyun Cha, South Korea, 3,159, $2,300.
8, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., 3,156, $2,200. (Storm Staff)
9, Norm Duke, Clermont, Fla., 3,132, $2,150. (Storm Staff)
10, Ryan Shafer, Horseheads, N.Y., 3,123, $2,100. (Storm Staff)
11, Stuart Williams, England, 3,114, $2,050.
12, Josh Blanchard, Gilbert, Ariz., 3,097, $2,000.
13, Brian Kretzer, Dayton, Ohio, 3,060, $1,950. (Roto Grip Staff)
14, Stevie Weber, Chalmette, La., 3,029, $1,900.
15, Anthony LaCaze, Melrose Park, Ill., 2,995, $1,850.
16, Lonnie Waliczek, Wichita, Kan., 2,978, $1,800.
DID NOT ADVANCE (after 8 games)
17, Tom Smallwood, Saginaw, Mich., 1,798, $1,300.
18, Fawaz Abdullah, Bahrain, 1,797, $1,250.
19, Ronnie Russell, Marion, Ind., 1,790, $1,200.
20, Jason Belmonte, Australia, 1,788, $1,150. (Storm Staff)
21, Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J., 1,785, $1,120.
22, Jason Couch, Clermont, Fla., 1,784, $1,100.
23, Jack Jurek, Lackawanna, N.Y., 1,773, $1,090.
24, Jaime Monroy, Colombia, 1,770, $1,080.
25, Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J., 1,768, $1,070.
26 (TIE), Frank Guccione, Castle Rock, Colo.; Mike Fagan, Dallas, and Chris Barnes, Double Oak, Texas, 1,764, $1,050.
29, Wayne Garber, Modesto, Calif., 1,761, $1,030.
30, Thomas Larsen, Denmark, 1,758, $1,020.
31, Jaime Gonzalez, Colombia, 1,753, $1,010.
32, Hyun Bum Kim, South Korea, 1,739, $1,000.
- 11/30/2011: Hank Boomershine Becomes USBC Gold Coach
- 11/30/2011: Classic Bowl Fights Back!
- 11/30/2011: GEICO World Bowling Tour Finals Kick Off 2011-12 PBA Season
- 11/29/2011: Barrett Downs Koivuniemi in Qatar...
- 11/28/2011: Storm's Brian Himmler Captures Super Hoinke Title...
- 11/27/2011: Colorado Bowler Fires 899 With Storm Frantic!
- 11/27/2011: Remy Ong Storm's to Victory at Singapore National Championships...
- 11/27/2011: Issac Amkie Rolls Virtual Gravity™ Nano to Senior Classic Win...
- 11/23/2011: The Storm Frantic™
- 11/18/2011: Storm Sponsored Morehead State Captures Southern Collegiate Classic Title
- 11/17/2011: Storm Sponsored McKendree Women's Bowling Team Wins First Tournament of Season!
- 11/16/2011: Duke Magic Returns in Las Vegas...
- 11/14/2011: Andres Gomez Leads Carmen Salvino Classic
- 11/13/2011: Aguiar, Bohn Combine for Doubles Victory at South Point
- 11/09/2011: 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling Report - 11/9/11
- 11/08/2011: 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling Report - 11/8/11
- 11/07/2011: 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling Report - 11/7/11
- 11/06/2011: 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling Report - 11/6/11
- 11/05/2011: 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling Report - 11/5/11
- 11/04/2011: Storm's Tina Stickney Wins WBA Event
- 11/02/2011: It Pays to Use Storm!
- 11/02/2011: Frank Clark Takes Home the Hardware at the Huntsman World Senior Games with Storm!
- 11/01/2011: Storm Announces Winners Of Virtual Gravity Nano Pearl and Frantic Giveaway!