Bowling News USA - October 31, 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling Ready to Roll in Las Vegas...
The 2011 PBA World Series of Bowling will be conducted Nov. 4-20 at the South Point Hotel, Casino and Bowling Center in Las Vegas.
The WSOB will include: the Viper Open, Chameleon Open, Scorpion Open and Shark Open; PBA World Championship; Carmen Salvino Classic, PBA Exempt Players Championship, Mark Roth-Marshall Holman PBA Doubles Championship and other special events.
It begins on Friday, Nov. 4, with practice sessions and an "All-In Showdown" special event with a $5,000 entry fee. Saturday through Tuesday, Nov. 5-8, eight-game qualifying rounds followed by a cut to the top 16 for an additional 6 game qualifying round will be conducted in the Viper, Chameleon, Scorpion and Shark Opens. The top 4 in each event will advance to the televised final elimination round. These four events are open to all players.
Total pinfall for the combined 32 qualifying games in the four "animal pattern" events will determine the top 60 competitors (based upon a capacity field of 240 entries) advancing to the PBA World Championship eight-game cashers’ round on Wednesday, Nov. 9. After the cashers’ round, the top 16 based on 40 games will advance to the televised PBA World Championship quarterfinal elimination rounds. The champion of each quarterfinal round will advance to the televised final elimination round.
In all, the WSOB will award up to $1 million in prize money. The top 32 players in each of the four animal pattern events will earn prize money with the winner of each earning $15,000, a PBA Tourtitle and a berth in the Tournament of Champions. The 14 game, qualifying leader in each event will also receive a $1,000 bonus.
The PBA World Championship will pay the top 60 (based on a capacity field of 240 entries) with a $1,800 low-to-cash. First prize in the World Championship will be $50,000. The 40 game, qualifying leader will also receive a $5,000 bonus.
The Carmen Salvino Classic will pay 64 places with a $15,000 first prize and $1,000 low-to-cash. The 18 game, qualifying leader will also receive a $1,000 bonus.
The PBA Exempt Players Championship will pay 49 places with a $35,000 first prize and $2,000 low-to-cash.
The Mark Roth-Marshall Holman PBA Doubles Championship will pay eight places with a $15,000 first prize.
The All Region South Point Open, the PBA Regional Member/Non Member Doubles and the "All-In Showdown" prize funds will be based on entries.
The Carmen Salvino Classic is a "PBA Tour exempt players" event, but also will include a Tour Qualifying Round for non-exempt players. The new "All Region South Point Open" will serve as the TQR for the Salvino Classic (See "What is the format for the Carmen Salvino Classic" below).
There also will be a PBA Regional Members/Non-Members Doubles event on Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 12-13.
The PBA Exempt Players Championships on Tuesday and Wednesday, Nov. 15-16, is a new two-in-one event that also includes the Mark Roth-Marshall Holman PBA Doubles Championship.
The World Series will conclude with four days of television production Thursday, Nov. 17-Sunday, Nov. 20, on lanes specially built in a South Point Exhibit Hall.
(click below for PBA World Series of Bowling schedule)
- 10/31/2011: PBA World Series of Bowling Ready to Roll in Las Vegas...
- 10/30/2011: DOMinating Performance in Reno
- 10/27/2011: Not Even Cancer Can Keep a True Storm Fan Down!
- 10/25/2011: The Storm Frantic™
- 10/25/2011: Storm's Steve Kloempken Masters Magic Valley
- 10/24/2011: 2011 ABT Fall Nationals Prize List
- 10/19/2011: Storm's Osku Palermaa, Martin Larsen Prepare for Battle at 2011 WSOB
- 10/19/2011: Recap of 2011 Women’s World Championships by Shannon O’Keefe
- 10/19/2011: 'The Chief' is All In...
- 10/16/2011: $100,000 Winner Crowned at 2011 ABT Fall Nationals
- 10/16/2011: 2011 ABT Fall Nationals Report - Finals Day
- 10/15/2011: 2011 ABT Fall Nationals Report
- 10/11/2011: Now Available From Storm - The Virtual Gravity Nano Pearl
- 10/05/2011: The Storm Virtual Gravity™ Nano Pearl
- 10/02/2011: Osku Over Barnes at 9th Vienna Open
- 10/01/2011: Storm Staffers Dominate 9th Vienna Open...