Bowling News USA - August 17, 2011 Dale Eagle Wins PBA Senior Decatur Open with the Marvel™
Dale Eagle of Tavares, Fla., won the Professional Bowlers Association Senior Decatur Open Tuesday to notch his 12th career Senior Tour title putting him in a tie for second on the all-time Senior Tour wins list.
The 65 year-old Eagle, who was inducted into the PBA Hall of Fame in January, defeated Kent Wagner of Palmetto, Fla., 223-186, in the title match at Spare Time Lanes.
“I was trying to be perfect on every shot and maybe too perfect,” said Eagle. “It was a tough shot where I had to play a straighter line. It was one of those tournaments where you needed some breaks to win and I got a lot of breaks in match play.”
"I used the Storm Marvel all day, I would like to thank everyone at Storm."
It was the third straight victory for Storm/Roto Grip on the 2010/11 PBA Senior Tour. Two weeks, ago, Dale Traber won the USBC Senior Masters with a Storm Virtual Gravity™ Nano. Last week, Harry Sullins won in Indiana with the Roto Grip Nomad™ Pearl.
The win marked the ninth time this year a PBA/Senior PBA player has won using Storm or Roto Grip equipment in the title match.
Eagle is tied for second with Gary Dickinson on the Senior Tour all-time wins list and both bowlers trail career titles leader John Handegard with 14.
Eagle’s win was his first in two years with his last title coming in the 2009 Senior Miller High Life Classic. His previous best finish this season was sixth in the Senior Don Carter Open.
“I’ve had some health issues especially with my knees and back and I’m working hard on getting in better shape,” said Eagle, the 1999 PBA Senior Player of the Year and 1996 Senior Rookie of the Year. “I’m working hard on my game and learning a lot from the younger guys. Norm Duke has helped me work out a problem with my release.”
In the semifinals, Eagle defeated Harry Sullins of Chesterfield Township, Mich., 192-171, to advance to the championship match. Sullins was trying for his second consecutive and third win overall this season. In the other semifinal match, Wagner, a two-time PBA Tour winner, defeated Dave Axon of Bellevue, Neb., 237-194. Both players were trying for their first Senior Tour win.
The next stop on the Senior Tour will be the Senior Jackson (Mich.) Open Aug. 22-25, and the Senior Dayton (Ohio) Classic will conclude the 2011 season Aug. 27-30. PBA.com’s Xtra Frame will provide live coverage of both events. Click on the Xtra Frame logo on the pba.com homepage subscription details.
PBA SENIOR DECATUR OPEN
Spare Time Lanes, Decatur, Ill., Tuesday
Dale Eagle, Tavares, Fla. (Storm - $7,500) def. Kent Wagner, Palmetto, Fla. ($4,000), 223-186.
Semifinal Round (losers earn $3,000)
Eagle def. Harry Sullins, Chesterfield Township, Mich., 192-171.
Wagner def. David Axon, Bellevue, Neb., 237-194.
Round of 8 (best of three games, losers eliminated, $1,700 each)
Axon def. Charlie Tapp, Kalamazoo, Mich., 2-1
Wagner def. W.R. Williams, Ocala, Fla., 2-1
Sullins def. Dale Traber, Cedarburg, Wis., 2-0
Eagle def. Dale Csuhta, Wadsworth, Ohio, 2-0
Storm/Roto Grip Wins - 2010-11 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour/PBA Senior Tour
1. 2011 PBA Senior Decatur Open - Dale Eagle - Storm Marvel™
2. 2011 PBA Senior Lake County Open - Harry Sullins - Roto Grip Nomad Pearl™
3. 2011 USBC Senior Masters - Dale Traber - Storm Virtual Gravity™ Nano
4. 2011 PBA Senior Tour Mark Roth Allentown Open - Walter Ray Williams Jr. - Storm Anarchy™
5. 2011 Lumber Liquidators 68th U.S Open - Norm Duke - Storm Prodigy™
6. 2011 Bayer USBC Masters - Tom Hess - Storm Virtual Gravity™ Nano
7. 2010 PBA GEICO Shark Championship - Osku Palermaa - Storm Hy-Road™
8. 2010 PBA Scorpion Championship - Yong-Jin Gu - Storm Anarchy™
9. 2010 PBA Chameleon Championship - Scott Norton - Roto Grip Mutant Cell™
(Segments courtesy: pba.com)
- 8/30/2011: Storm's Dominic Barrett Wins 2011 QubicaAMF London International
- 8/29/2011: Storm's Norm Duke, Jason Belmonte Named to Bowlers Journal All-American Teams
- 8/29/2011: Jeong Seung-Joo Fires to Win at Daejeon International Bowling Tournament
- 8/29/2011: Ryan Shafer Rolls to Regional Victory at 30 Strikes
- 8/24/2011: Storm Announces First Ever Storm University
- 8/22/2011: Barrett Over Voss at the BNC Open
- 8/17/2011: Dale Eagle Wins PBA Senior Decatur Open with the Marvel™
- 8/13/2011: Harry Sullins Powers to PBA Senior Tour Win...
- 8/09/2011: High Roller News
- 8/08/2011: Andres Gomez Rolls Marvel Pearl to PBA Regional Victory...
- 8/08/2011: England's Williams Wins First PBA title at Mesquite
- 8/05/2011: Dale Traber Rides the Nano to USBC Senior Masters Victory...
- 8/04/2011: Storm Announces the Release of the Sportcast II™
- 8/02/2011: Rick Vittone Leads USBC Senior Masters
- 8/01/2011: ABT Summer Nationals Results