Bowling News USA - August 13, 2011 Harry Sullins Powers to PBA Senior Tour Win...
Harry Sullins of Chesterfield Township, Mich., defeated the most dominant player on the Professional Bowlers Association Senior Tour Thursday at Olympia Lanes to win his second Senior Tour title of the season.
Sullins defeated Ron Mohr of Eagle River, Alaska, who was trying for a record-tying fourth title this season, 246-221, in the championship match.
Storm/Roto Grip PBA Tour Representative Chris Schlemer reports that Sullins used two Roto Grip Nomad Pearls for the win.
It was the second straight victory for Storm/Roto Grip on the 2010/11 PBA Senior Tour. Last week, Dale Traber won the USBC Senior Masters with a Storm Virtual Gravity™ Nano.
The win marked the eighth time this year a PBA/Senior PBA player has won using Storm or Roto Grip equipment in the title match.
Roto Grip staffer Tom Baker, who led earlier in the week, finished third.
“It’s hard enough to win one title in a season, much less two,” said Sullins, who won the Senior Sun Bowl in the Villages earlier this season. “That’s especially true when you have to beat someone like Ron who’s having an unbelievable year.”
Mohr, who did not compete in last week’s USBC Senior Masters, got off to the early lead in the title match throwing five strikes before leaving the 1-2-4-7 in the sixth frame and failing to convert the spare.
“I had a lapse in concentration and never got back in the moment,” said Mohr, who was also trying to win the last three tournaments he has competed in this season. “I was having such a good time that I probably let the emotion get the best of me.”
Sullins, who is also a five-time winner on the PBA Tour and won a senior regional event Sunday in Arlington Heights, Ill., knew the importance of taking advantage of Mohr’s misfortune.
“I knew if I could just double after Ron’s open it would turn the match around,” said Sullins whose first Senior Tour title came in the 2009 PBA Senior World Championship. “I had to draw on all of my experience making adjustments throughout the whole tournament to make the shots I needed in the semifinal and title matches.”
In the semifinals, Sullins defeated hometown favorite and 2008 USBC Senior Masters winner Kenny Parks of Hammond, 246-189, while Mohr eliminated Hall of Famer and four-time Senior Player of the Year Tom Baker of King, N.C., 258-228.
The next stop for the Senior Tour will be the Senior Decatur Open in Decatur, Ill., Aug. 13-16. PBA.com’s Xtra Frame will provide coverage of the Decatur Open beginning at 3 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 15 and all match play rounds on Tuesday, Aug. 16.
PBA SENIOR LAKE COUNTY OPEN
Olympia Lanes, Hammond, Ind., Thursday
Harry Sullins, Chesterfield Township, Mich. ($7,500) def. Ron Mohr, Eagle, River, Alaska ($4,000), 246-221.
Semifinal Round (losers earn $3,000)
Mohr def. Tom Baker, King, N.C., 258-228.
Sullins def. Kenny Parks, Hammond, Ind., 246-189.
Round of 8 (best of three games, losers eliminated, $1,700 each)
Baker def. Dale Traber, Cedarburg, Wis., 2-1.
Mohr def. Mark Williams, Beaumont, Texas, 2-0.
Parks def. Gary Skidmore, Albuquerque, N.M., 2-1.
Sullins def. Randy Peterson, Carrington, N.D., 2-0.
Storm/Roto Grip Wins - 2010-11 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour/PBA Senior Tour
1. 2011 PBA Senior Lake County Open - Harry Sullins - Roto Grip Nomad Pearl™
2. 2011 USBC Senior Masters - Dale Traber - Storm Virtual Gravity™ Nano
3. 2011 PBA Senior Tour Mark Roth Allentown Open - Walter Ray Williams Jr. - Storm Anarchy™
4. 2011 Lumber Liquidators 68th U.S Open - Norm Duke - Storm Prodigy™
5. 2011 Bayer USBC Masters - Tom Hess - Storm Virtual Gravity™ Nano
6. 2010 PBA GEICO Shark Championship - Osku Palermaa - Storm Hy-Road™
7. 2010 PBA Scorpion Championship - Yong-Jin Gu - Storm Anarchy™
8. 2010 PBA Chameleon Championship - Scott Norton - Roto Grip Mutant Cell™
- 8/30/2011: Storm's Dominic Barrett Wins 2011 QubicaAMF London International
- 8/29/2011: Storm's Norm Duke, Jason Belmonte Named to Bowlers Journal All-American Teams
- 8/29/2011: Jeong Seung-Joo Fires to Win at Daejeon International Bowling Tournament
- 8/29/2011: Ryan Shafer Rolls to Regional Victory at 30 Strikes
- 8/24/2011: Storm Announces First Ever Storm University
- 8/22/2011: Barrett Over Voss at the BNC Open
- 8/17/2011: Dale Eagle Wins PBA Senior Decatur Open with the Marvel™
- 8/13/2011: Harry Sullins Powers to PBA Senior Tour Win...
- 8/09/2011: High Roller News
- 8/08/2011: Andres Gomez Rolls Marvel Pearl to PBA Regional Victory...
- 8/08/2011: England's Williams Wins First PBA title at Mesquite
- 8/05/2011: Dale Traber Rides the Nano to USBC Senior Masters Victory...
- 8/04/2011: Storm Announces the Release of the Sportcast II™
- 8/02/2011: Rick Vittone Leads USBC Senior Masters
- 8/01/2011: ABT Summer Nationals Results