Bowling News USA - July 15, 2011 Storm Staff Member Andres Gomez Wins Colombian Team Trials
PBA exempt player and Storm Staffer Andres Gomez and collegiate standout Maria Rodriguez won the 2011 Colombian Team Trials at the Sports Complex in Belen in Medellin.
40 men and 25 women from ten federations bowled seven 8-game blocks, on seven different WTBA patterns from December 12th through 18th to determine the top six men and six women who earned automatic spots on Team Colombia for 2011.
Gomez of Bogota, who finished second in the second event of the 2010-11 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour season, the Pepsi Viper Championship, had blocks of 1721, 1642, 1762, 1789, 1819, 1746, and 1573 en route to win the men's division with 12052 pinfall total and an average of 215.21.
Gomez had a 187-pin lead over Santiago Mejia of Antioquia, who beat out World Games champion Manuel Otalora of Bogota for second place by 15 pins, 11865 to 11850.
Fourth and fifth place belonged to Fabio Garcia and Jaime Gonzalez, both of Risaralda, with 11610 and 11542, respectively.
Rounding out the top six was Jaime Monroy of Bogota, Gomez' partner in the 1999 World Championships Doubles competition in which the duo posted a legendary 599 game (Monroy 299, Gomez 300) on their way to the silver medal. Monroy knocked down 11527 pins or an average of 205.84 for 56 games.
14-year-old Jorge Luis Tello of Valle rolled the tournament's sole 300 game in the first game of the sixth block or the 41st game overall. The former under-14 national youth champion became the youngest player ever in the history of his country to roll a perfect game. Tello finished the trials in 25th place with 10479 pinfall total and an average of 187.13.
Maria Rodriguez of Tolima, member of the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) women's bowling team, started her 56-game series with three sub-par blocks based on a 200 average (1533, 1564, 1551) but closed out the competition with 1731, 1750, 1800 and 1699 to lead the women's field with 11628 pinfall total and an average of 207.64.
Fellow UMES bowler Anggie Ramirez of Bogota was 65 pins behind in second place with 11563 and was followed Rocio Restrepo of Bogota, four-time gold medalist in the 2010 Central American and Caribbean Games, in third place with 11505.
Laura Fonnegra of Bogota was fourth with 11404. Two-time word champion, Clara Juliana Guerrero of Quindio finished fifth with 11346 with Gomez' sister, long-time Colombian national team member Paola Gomez of Bogota in sixth place at 11256 with 2006 World Ranking Masters champion Sara Vargas of Bogota in seventh 11089.
The top two men and women, Andres Gomez, Santiago Mejia, Maria Rodriguez, and Anggie Ramirez, will represent Colombia in the 16th Pan American Games 2011 at Bolerama Tapatío, Guadalajara, Mexico (bowling competition October 22-27, 2011).
The top six men will represent their country at the PABCON Men's Championships at Bolerama Tapatío in Guadalajara, Mexico (May 7-14, 2011), while the top six women will participate in the 2011 Women's World Championships at Hong Kong Bowling City in Hong Kong, China (September 2-11, 2011).
- 7/29/2011: Storm Announces Collegiate Sponsored Teams for 2011-12 Season
- 7/26/2011: Andres Gomez Joins Storm International Sales Team
- 7/25/2011: PDW Cruises to 46th PBA Regional Win...
- 7/19/2011: Alex Aguiar Rides the 2Fast™ to Mini Eliminator Title
- 7/15/2011: USBC Women's Championships Conclude in Syracuse
- 7/15/2011: Storm Staff Member Andres Gomez Wins Colombian Team Trials
- 7/15/2011: Belmonte Travels "Victory Road" ... Rides High with ESPY
- 7/14/2011: Belmo Takes The ESPY...
- 7/13/2011: Marvel™ Pearl and Victory Road™ Solid Contest Winners Announced
- 7/13/2011: Storm Staffer Casey Murphy Wins Bowlers Journal Championship With Virtual Gravity Nano
- 7/12/2011: Now Available From Storm - The Marvel™ Pearl and Victory Road™ Solid!
- 7/11/2011: Storm's Diandra Asbaty To Represent USA At World Cup
- 7/10/2011: 2011 USBC Open Championships Conclude in Reno...
- 7/10/2011: Alex Liew Powers to Victory at 7th Annual Storm San Marino Open...
- 7/05/2011: Sonnenfeld Over Hara for July High Roller Title...
- 7/05/2011: Ryan Shafer Perfect in GEICO PBA Team Shootout..
- 7/02/2011: Jeff's Big Night in Texas..