Bowling News USA - July 13, 2011 Storm Staffer Casey Murphy Wins Bowlers Journal Championship With Virtual Gravity Nano
RENO, Nev. - Casey Murphy of Nixa, Mo., likes to prepare for the USBC Open Championships by competing at the nearby Storm Bowlers Journal Championships presented by USBC.
The 32-year-old right-hander enjoys the challenging lane condition because it gives him a chance to get his armswing loose and make sure his skills are as sharp as possible. This year, the extra effort helped him to a $10,000 payday as the event's Open Singles champion.
"It feels great," said Murphy, who rolled games of 267, 277, 187 and 259 for a 990 total. "I've worked really hard on my game, and winning this lets me know the hard work is paying off. It's really hard to put into words."
Murphy lives just north of Joplin, Mo., where a devastating tornado touched down a little more than a month ago. Murphy and his teammates were just happy to get to Reno without issue.
"It really puts everything into perspective," said Murphy, a software engineer for ANPAC, who bowls league at Enterprise Park Lanes. "We heard some of the death toll numbers while we were bowling. We were lucky to get to Reno. The Bowlers Journal really turned my week into a positive."
Fresh off another solid performance at the Open Championships, 2007 Regular Team champion Bryon Smith of Roseburg, Ore., took his skills across town to the Grand Sierra Resort and claimed the Classic Singles title at the 2011 Bowlers Journal Championships with a 951 set.
He posted games of 264, 193, 236 and 258 to win the $1,600 top prize, and the effort also helped the 2003 USBC Masters winner to a share of the top spot on the Dual Entry prize list along with Brett Wolfe of Tempe, Ariz., the 2002 Masters champion, who rolled a 951 set on the way to a third-place finish in Open Singles. They each received $550 for topping the Dual Entry standings.
Story from Bowl.com.
- 7/29/2011: Storm Announces Collegiate Sponsored Teams for 2011-12 Season
- 7/26/2011: Andres Gomez Joins Storm International Sales Team
- 7/25/2011: PDW Cruises to 46th PBA Regional Win...
- 7/19/2011: Alex Aguiar Rides the 2Fast™ to Mini Eliminator Title
- 7/15/2011: USBC Women's Championships Conclude in Syracuse
- 7/15/2011: Storm Staff Member Andres Gomez Wins Colombian Team Trials
- 7/15/2011: Belmonte Travels "Victory Road" ... Rides High with ESPY
- 7/14/2011: Belmo Takes The ESPY...
- 7/13/2011: Marvel™ Pearl and Victory Road™ Solid Contest Winners Announced
- 7/13/2011: Storm Staffer Casey Murphy Wins Bowlers Journal Championship With Virtual Gravity Nano
- 7/12/2011: Now Available From Storm - The Marvel™ Pearl and Victory Road™ Solid!
- 7/11/2011: Storm's Diandra Asbaty To Represent USA At World Cup
- 7/10/2011: 2011 USBC Open Championships Conclude in Reno...
- 7/10/2011: Alex Liew Powers to Victory at 7th Annual Storm San Marino Open...
- 7/05/2011: Sonnenfeld Over Hara for July High Roller Title...
- 7/05/2011: Ryan Shafer Perfect in GEICO PBA Team Shootout..
- 7/02/2011: Jeff's Big Night in Texas..