Bowling News USA - July 10, 2011 Alex Liew Powers to Victory at 7th Annual Storm San Marino Open...
In an all-Malaysian affair, Alex Liew (pictured) defeated Adrian Ang, 465-428, over two games total pinfall, en route to win the title in the 7th Storm San Marino Open and the 10.000 Euro top prize Sunday afternoon at Rose'n Bowl in Serravalle, San Marino.
The tournament is sponsored by Storm Products Inc.
Liew, seeded 14th in the 16-player single-elimination finals, took a huge 54-pin lead after winning the first game, 264-210. Ang, who averaged over 270 in Final Round Two to claim the No. 7 seed (No. 1 through 6 seed went to the top six qualifiers), narrowed the gap with a 218-201 win in game two, but had to settle for second place, worth 6.000 Euro.
Liew ousted No 2 seed, Robert Andersson, Sweden, in the semifinals, 458-417, while Ang eliminated fellow country woman and No, 6 seed, Esther Cheah in a high-scoring encounter, 499-489.
Cheah, who received eight pins handicap per game, lost the first game by ten pins, 234-224, and tied the second at 265.
As Andersson was the higher seed, he was ranked third and Cheah fourth. Both received 3.400 Euro.
The 7th Storm San Marino Open was the 11th stop of the 2011 European Bowling Tour and the fourth out of six EBT "Gold" tournaments this season.
The tournament was held from July 2-10, 2011 at 18-lane Rose'n Bowl in Serravalle, San Marino and offered total prize fund of 60.000 Euro with 10.000 Euro going to the winner, 6.000 to the runner-up and 3.400 each to the third and fourth place finisher.
Since the Viborg International in Viborg in Denmark has been cancelled, the 2011 European Bowling Tour consists of 21 tour stops in 17 countries including two Platinum, six Gold, seven Silver and six Satellite tournaments.
The top 50 men and the top 50 women in each event receive ranking points. The winner of a Platinum tournament receives 250 ranking points, the winner of a Gold tournament such as the San Marino Open gets 150, the winner of a Silver tournament earns 100, and the winner of a Satellite tournament gets 50 ranking points.
The top 16 men and the top 16 women at the end of the 2011 season qualify for the fifth EBT Masters to be held at Dream-Bowl Palace in Unterföhring near Munich, Germany on April 30 and May 1, 2012. The event will become the first EBT Masters to be contested on lane condition.
Qualifying of the 7th Storm San Marino Open (six-game series, unlimited re-entries) ran from Saturday, July second through Saturday, July 9th. Women receive 8 pins handicap each game throughout the entire event, a standard for women on the European Bowling Tour.
The San Marino Open featured a 40 feet Kegel lane conditioning pattern with 24.25ml volume oil total.
A total of 48 players advanced to the finals on Sunday - the top 38 players from the overall qualifying standings plus the top 3 from the squads conducted on July 2-3, the top 4 from the squads conducted on July 4-6 and the top 3 from the Desperado Squad. The top 6 qualifiers earned two byes, while qualifiers 7-12 got one.
The other 36 players bowled four games from scratch to cut to the top 18, who met qualifiers 7-12 in round two. Those 24 bowled another 4 games from scratch to cut to the top 10, who joined the top six qualifiers in single-elimination match play with the two game total pinfall determining the winner.
The highest seeded player bowled the lowest seeded, the second-highest seeded players bowled the second-lowest and so on. The field was cut to 8, 4 then 2, who bowled for the title and the 10.000 Euro top prize.
- 7/29/2011: Storm Announces Collegiate Sponsored Teams for 2011-12 Season
- 7/26/2011: Andres Gomez Joins Storm International Sales Team
- 7/25/2011: PDW Cruises to 46th PBA Regional Win...
- 7/19/2011: Alex Aguiar Rides the 2Fast™ to Mini Eliminator Title
- 7/15/2011: USBC Women's Championships Conclude in Syracuse
- 7/15/2011: Storm Staff Member Andres Gomez Wins Colombian Team Trials
- 7/15/2011: Belmonte Travels "Victory Road" ... Rides High with ESPY
- 7/14/2011: Belmo Takes The ESPY...
- 7/13/2011: Marvel™ Pearl and Victory Road™ Solid Contest Winners Announced
- 7/13/2011: Storm Staffer Casey Murphy Wins Bowlers Journal Championship With Virtual Gravity Nano
- 7/12/2011: Now Available From Storm - The Marvel™ Pearl and Victory Road™ Solid!
- 7/11/2011: Storm's Diandra Asbaty To Represent USA At World Cup
- 7/10/2011: 2011 USBC Open Championships Conclude in Reno...
- 7/10/2011: Alex Liew Powers to Victory at 7th Annual Storm San Marino Open...
- 7/05/2011: Sonnenfeld Over Hara for July High Roller Title...
- 7/05/2011: Ryan Shafer Perfect in GEICO PBA Team Shootout..
- 7/02/2011: Jeff's Big Night in Texas..